Caught Speeding - New Rules? Any Advice/Experience?

Options
TeaRex
TeaRex Posts: 52 Forumite
Hey everybody, hoping someone has some experience of the new rules around speeding that can help?!

I was caught speeding on the 16th May, 45 in a 30. It was in my local area with a handheld gun. Its no excuse and its my own fault, totally hold my hands up as I got caught twice in a short space last year and have been so careful since then but I think they got me just where it goes from a 40 down to a 30. Not looking for a lecture anyway, just some sensible replies from people who have been through the new rules recently.

I received the Notice of Intended Prosecution(?) on the 7th June, dated 5th June. My car is a company car through my work so they had sent it to the lease company first who named me, thats why I have only just found out.

Now heres the question - Has anyone had any experience of the new rules? What am I likely to be offered?

I have 6 points already (3 from Feb 16 and 3 from April 16)
From what I have seen online I am looking at a fine of 75-125% of my weekly wage and 4-6 points OR a 7-21 day ban but every article seems to say different things, can't find anything from people who have ACTUALLY been caught since the new rules.

I also got caught on April 22nd 2014 (first offence) but took the course in June 2014 so I don't think Im applicable for that. Plus I think I would only be offered the course if it was 42mph or less.

Any advice to ease my mind? I keep thinking worst case where I end up getting banned and losing my job etc. The thought of that makes me feel terrified and sick. Thanks in advance.
June 2015 Debt - £23643 // March 2018 Debt - £1490
Sealed Pot Challenge Member - 584

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 June 2017 at 5:24PM
    Options
    You won't be offered the course even if it was your first offence because you were 50% over the speed limit.

6 points doesn't look favourable on you especially given you've got them quite recently. If there were no other contributing factors, i.e poor driving, then you're likely to be looking at a financial stiffing plus the points but you are going to be getting a fine and points. If they do award 6 points because they deem it serious enough then you'll be banned under totting up given you've already got 6 points and 12 points is a ban. In that respect a 7-21 day ban would be more preferable as it would be shorter than one under totting up as that would be 6 months.

If your company insure your car don't forget you also need to inform your employers of any conviction that you get because it may be the case that their insurers won't cover employees with more than 6 points. If you insure it you'll need to inform your insurers even though the insurance isn't yet up for renewal. Expect next years to be expensive if you pay for it.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,989 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    TeaRex wrote: »
    Any advice to ease my mind? I keep thinking worst case where I end up getting banned and losing my job etc. The thought of that makes me feel terrified and sick. Thanks in advance.
    You really should capture that feeling of being terrified and sick and remember it when you're driving. Being caught speeding four times(?) in three years suggests a serious problem with the way you drive. If your job is dependent on your licence and you manage to escape a ban or insurance consequences that take you off the road this time, it would seem only a matter of time until you're caught again anyway. It's costing you a fortune, causing you a lot of worry and is putting your job at risk, and that's before you even consider the possible risks to your and others' safety. How many more warnings do you need? Seriously, consider some more tuition or some other method of changing the way you're driving. It's not worth the worry to save a few seconds or minutes on each journey.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    You really should capture that feeling of being terrified and sick and remember it when you're driving. Being caught speeding four times(?) in three years suggests a serious problem with the way you drive.

Not so much a serious problem, more one of not paying attention to speed limits and possibly a large dose of the "average speed driver", who does 40-45mph everywhere.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Since this is well within fixed penalty guidelines, 3 points and £100 will be the result.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    I was caught speeding on the 16th May, 45 in a 30.

Now heres the question - Has anyone had any experience of the new rules? What am I likely to be offered?

I also got caught on April 22nd 2014 (first offence) but took the course in June 2014
    There are no "new rules". The press totally blew a very minor change (the guideline %age of weekly income for fines for serious offences that went to court) out of all proportion.

ubiKudk8.png

Whether you went on an SAC or not is irrelevant, since you were a little above the threshold for a course. 3pt, £100 FPN.

You now have another two years of driving like a nun, because your resistance to clue means you are now one more ticket away from a ban. TAKE THE HINT.
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    Hey everybody, hoping someone has some experience of the new rules around speeding that can help?!

I was caught speeding on the 16th May, 45 in a 30. It was in my local area with a handheld gun. Its no excuse and its my own fault, totally hold my hands up as I got caught twice in a short space last year and have been so careful since then but I think they got me just where it goes from a 40 down to a 30. Not looking for a lecture anyway, just some sensible replies from people who have been through the new rules recently.

I received the Notice of Intended Prosecution(?) on the 7th June, dated 5th June. My car is a company car through my work so they had sent it to the lease company first who named me, thats why I have only just found out.

From what I have seen online I am looking at a fine of 75-125% of my weekly wage and 4-6 points OR a 7-21 day ban but every article seems to say different things, can't find anything from people who have ACTUALLY been caught since the new rules.

I also got caught on April 22nd 2014 (first offence) but took the course in June 2014 so I don't think Im applicable for that. Plus I think I would only be offered the course if it was 42mph or less.

Advice to ease your mind?

Start paying some attention to that pretty dial or display just above the steering wheel with all the numbers on it.

Hint: when the number on the dial is MORE than the number on those little red and white circular signs by the side of the road, stop pressing the !!!!ing right hand pedal and start pressing the middle one.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    Hint: when the number on the dial is MORE than the number on those little red and white circular signs by the side of the road, stop pressing the !!!!ing right hand pedal and start pressing the middle one.
    I would point out that not all speed limits have pretty read and white signs - but the OP knows this, because he was reminded about default limits (and how to determine them) within the last three years on his half day of tea and biccies.
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    I would point out that not all speed limits have pretty read and white signs - but the OP knows this, because he was reminded about default limits (and how to determine them) within the last three years on his half day of tea and biccies.

Fair comment. But let's face it, if they're missing the obvious signs, they're hardly going to notice how far apart the streetlights are :D
  • docmatt
    docmatt Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options

Start paying some attention to that pretty dial or display just above the steering wheel with all the numbers on it.

Hint: when the number on the dial is MORE than the number on those little red and white circular signs by the side of the road, stop pressing the right hand pedal and start pressing the middle one.

Ha, says the guy who drives a super bike :D

The Viffer is fantastic for whizzing about on smaller B roads and very windy stuff, because it's so light and flicky, but it's rubbish on faster sweeping roads as it runs out of puff too quickly and you're constantly stirring the box.

The GS is great for almost everything. If I could only keep one bike it'd be the GS. Fast enough to get you into trouble, very manoeuvrable, comfortable all day and will go anywhere.

My favourite is the SThou though. It's just epic in every way. It's no more uncomfortable than the GS for me, it's biblically fast and stupidly loud, plush on dodgy surfaces with the electronic suspension, handles superbly, easy to ride quickly with the traction control, anti wheelie, anti stopping ABS, etc, and I've still got heated grips and cruise control. The only problem it has really is that it is far, far too fast for the road - it'd be too easy to go to prison on it. You could happily lose you licence in second.
    :D
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    I was once told that the default speed limit is 30 mph, so if you haven't seen a sign for a while, it will be that ; except motorways, which are 70, and you know when you are on one.
    I have indeed only once seen a 30 mph repeater, I think where a housing estate is being built outside a village, and the 40 limit was recently moved beyond it.

It is a common mistake to believe that : the limit increases when you first see the sign with the higher number, and passing the lower number is where you start easing off. A real speed of 45, means about 45 to 50 on the gauge.

Extra advice for the OP :
    "A friend of mine was caught speeding . . ."
    Then again, I got forum flak, when I recounted the misbehaviour of the wife of a colleague.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure