Attached Garage

Options
jon3001
jon3001 Posts: 890 Forumite
edited 18 October 2016 at 10:11PM in Is this quote fair?
Attached garage in Bolton. The intention is to use this for storage rather than an actual car.
  • Approx dimensions: 8m x 2.5m
  • Hip Roof (insulated)
  • Cavity insulated walls
  • Roller door to front
  • Flag frame uPVC door to rear
  • Fire door from kitchen
  • Electrical provision (power/lighting)

"To dig out footings concrete and build up to damp level

Build brickwork up to wall plate height creating a cavity between existing house and extension to form timber frame hipped roof with slate/tile roof with lead soakers, flashings and upvc rainwater goods, roller shutter to front flag frame upvc door to rear and fire door from main house into the extension.

All walls and ceilings to be insulated.
All debris will be removed and site left clean and tidy. "

£12500.00 with tiled roof
£13000.00 with slate roof

Building Notice fees would be extra.

Comments

• krey
    krey Posts: 132 Forumite
    Options
    around £2000-£2500 in materials depending on where you souce your stuff ;) not hard to build it yourself, have built a slightly larger garage in 4weekends with help from a family friend.

Sounds like total waste of 10k if you ask me...
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Definitely need a second quote.
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • thebaldwindowfitter
    Options
    i would sy that that price is about right
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    depending on the groundwork required your not being fleeced but find a builder that knows a roofer you can do better .
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • jon3001
    jon3001 Posts: 890 Forumite
    Options
    krey wrote: »
    have built a slightly larger garage in 4weekends with help from a family friend..

I wish I were more practical ;) Sounds like 16 days labour would be involved...
    Definitely need a second quote.

This actually is the second one. :) The first came in at £18-20K depending on the plans!
    greenface wrote: »
    depending on the groundwork required your not being fleeced but find a builder that knows a roofer you can do better .

Ironically this is actually from a roofer (who did a minor repair for me). When I asked him if he collaborated with any builders for such a project he told me he could do all this for me (including the electrics). I guess he's had a history of working in the building trade before specializing.
  • Rolandtheroadie
    Options
    Recently built an 8mx4m detatched garage, base was already there.
    Had a brickie, joiner and roofer, laboured to the brickie (100mm block was used) and helped the joiner and roofer when needed.
    Got a local roughcaster for the roughcasting and another local firm for the doors (up and over front, side UPVC).
    Box gable tiled roof, I done the electrics myself.
    Paid approximately £6500.

Sectional garages with a new base to ensure it was perfectly flat were coming in at around £1000 less than your quotes.

Personally, I don't think your quote is too bad.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure