Money claim papers received

Options
Hi there
Any help would be great.

Partner has received court claim for unpaid tuition for a course he had to leave partway through. When I say part way I mean he did not return following summer term break as he simply could not meet the payments. Over 1500 was paid out of a 2k tuition. He wrote to them notifying and we didn't think anymore of it until papers were dropped through our letterslot yesterday.

Now I cannot find any t & c from his enrolment although I will say it was very vague when he enrolled as it was the first term that the level 2 fee waiver was scrapped. We actually bounded the college from May 2013 when he first registered up until the week his course began in sept to find out if he was going to have to pay any fees at all and were left with 3 days to decide if he wanted to continue and AFTER the course had started when we were told he was going to be liable for fees. He agreed a monthly payment plan with them but then I was made redundant the following spring so he could no longer continue at that time.

Now,I don't have an issue with paying this IF he is allowed to re-enroll and finish the course, they run it every year starting September. In all honesty I'd like to defend this claim but wouldn't know where to start?? This is the first time we have come up against this while he is in his DMP WHICH STARTED after the course. We are in a much more financially secure position now and I could pay the claim off if needed but I don't feel it's right for them to go down this road namely based on the fact we never (that I can't recall) had t & c for the tuition loan and that it was such a mess with the fee waiver information back when he originally enrolled. If I am going to pay this off for him I'd like him to St least finish the course.

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,
    You could try and negotiate with the collage on that basis, but you only have a limited timeframe to respond to the claim, so you must decide quickly the best course of action for you.

You can only defend the claim if you dispute something about the debt, such as, he dosent owe the money, or the amount they are claiming is wrong, you cant negotiate with the court to allow him to finish the course.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • rizla_king
    rizla_king Posts: 2,895 Forumite
    Options
    Not sent letter before claim giving warning to pay before court action would be taken?
    Still rolling rolling rolling...... :) <
    SIGNATURE - Not part of post
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family