Feb-YOU-ary 2013 - Take your lunch to work thread

Options

Comments

• locutus2003
    Options
    I'll probably join you all in March ... in the meantime, for those who want an alternative to just cheese sandwiches, cheese and apple is great.

Grate cheese and and apple, mix with mayo and put on sandwiches (you can tell I don't do the cooking!). It freezes brilliantly - it's a recipe my Mum used years ago and we still tease her now about the frozen cheese and apple sarnies we had at the Boat Show!

Anyway, mouth watering as I write this - they are really yummy!:j
  • Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    edited 24 February 2013 at 2:15AM
    Options
    Hi everyone, this is such a nice friendly thread :) A special :T to snagggles and a wow to mrsdee. Good job my husband doesn't read MSE or he'd be wanting me to cook for his lunches all the time. :eek:

Back on the hamster shopping wheel, got dragged to Sainsbos Thursday. Got 5 for 4 on organic Heinz cream of tomato soup, 90p off a Honeyrose carrot cake (in freezer) and was told Sainsbury's not doing the 4 for $1 SO organic wholemeal rolls anymore :( Got 2 Rachel's yogurts for $3 and as long dated as I can find so he can plonk on fruit over several days. 5 org apples for 2.50 and 2 x org red grapes for $4

Friday Riverford delivered 2 x 2 ham and leek tarts (in freezer) and a ciabatta (freezer) plus a small fruit bag of green grapes, oranges and bananas. I'm hoping kept in fridge fruit will stretch a bit further than 5 days but if not there is a smoothie maker :T

OH is supposed to do an inventory Monday to let me know what he's short on eg cheese, butter, pickle, tinned veg curry, tinned rice pud, tinned sweetcorn, pickled eggs, mustard, sardines, olives..

Soon he'll be happily stuffing salads :) Pasta, celery, spring onions, tinned salmon, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, couscous, pitta bread, houmous, tzatziki, herbs from the garden, watercress, rocket, foraged sorrel and dandelions, spinach.. can't wait !
  • kittiej
    kittiej Posts: 2,564 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good morning everybody :wave:

Before I get into the gubbings of my post I just wanted to say that I will start the thread for March LTW on Wednesday. It will be the March-ing and Munching 2013 - LTW thread if that's OK with all of you?

babes that is a really good amount to have saved - well done :T

Hi locutus :hello: welcome to the thread and thanks for the fab twist on the humble cheese sarnie :D

Edwardia I am on the same wavelength as you re the salads. I was just thinking to myself this morning that I could start taking salads to work instead of sandwiches. You always seem to be so well organised :j :grin:

I forgot to add earlier, I will go over the thread for new lunch ideas and they will be added to the first post because I know there are new LTW ideas from the lovely contributions you've made. :T

Have a lovely Sunday - can't believe we're into March next week already :eek: that's scary.
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts."It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"1 debt v 100 days £2000
  • SmarterNotHarder
    Options
    Hello! End of another week and another 4/4 for me!! :j

Thought I'd try and be a little more exciting this week, so Monday was H/M Paratha with spiced sauteed potatoes and green Mango cutney - We're Indian but I avoid taking leftovers sometimes as I don't want the reputation of being the person who always makes the microwave smell :o

Tuesday was a cheese salad sandwich, a small tub of fruit, crisps and a snickers flapjack. Incidentally is there a way of making flapjack thats both cheaper and healthier than bought ones?

Wednesday was HM egg mayo with salad cream, spring onions and lots of pepper on a roll rather than sliced bread. I know! Exciting!! lol with snacks as above

And yesterday was LO pasta bake.

Seeing all my snacks written down makes me look like a right pig lol

I think mission now needs to be to make the lunchbox healhier!!

Thank you so much everyone for your lovely ideas, especially those who can make cheese exciting!!
  • kittiej
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for your lovely ideas, especially those who can make cheese exciting!!

I second that SNH :D very well done on taking those lunches to work :T
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts."It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"1 debt v 100 days £2000
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We're Indian but I avoid taking leftovers sometimes as I don't want the reputation of being the person who always makes the microwave smell :o

One of my colleagues always cooks curry in the microwave and he has the reputation as the one who always makes everyone else feel hungry, it always smells bloomin' lovely!

My lunch plans for the week are:

Monday, leftover chicken chow mein
    Tues and Weds, cold sausage sandwich
    Thurs and Fri, leftover pasta

I have a couple of bags of everyday value cashew nuts and a pack of cream crackers for snacking and I'll buy a pack of crumpets for breakfasts on Monday morning.

What delights does everyone else have planned?
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    edited 24 February 2013 at 1:36PM
    Options
    kittiej great name for the March thread ;)

Re: organisation I'd say that when you go through a period of being skint (and we were living on soya mince meals 5 nights a week for five years) that you DO actually pick up some skills.

www.mysupermarket.co.uk is brilliantly helpful. Not only can you compare prices, you can set up price alerts whereas I had to do it all in a notebook before that and take it round shops. It's worth it because the same quantity of own brand pasta for example, can be 50p cheaper in one supermarket when it's NOT on offer. Also mysupermarket alerts let you know when items go on offer so that you can stock up.

If I manage to save over $10 on offers in a week, effectively OH is getting his lunches free. ;)

Learning when supermarkets will do discounts on meat and poultry is useful because instead of buying sliced meats you can roast yourself, slice and freeze.

So it's just practice really..
  • Snagggles
    Options
    Edwardia wrote: »
    A special :T to snagggles and a wow to mrsdee.

Thank youuu!! :D:D

This IS a lovely, friendly place to be.

This week could be tough, with a course all day on Tuesday, which means having to think of excuses not to join the others for lunch somewhere. The course isn't far from my office, so perhaps I will find an urgent job that I have to nip back and do during my lunch break (the urgent job being hiding under my desk and surreptitiously eating my egg sandwiches).

Actually, egg sandwiches are possibly the least surreptitious kind of sandwiches, and I don't want my colleagues wondering what the unusual...er...'fragrance' is that is emanating from my part of the office. :D

Ooh, a new thread. I shall go and subscribe now. :T
    I'm a Money and Debt Adviser for a homelessness and housing charity in Scotland. If you have any questions about debt management and debt relief under Scots Law, just ask.
    The pain you feel today is the strength you feel tomorrow.
  • Snagggles
    Options
    Oh, wait, Wednesday...it's not Wednesday yet, is it... :o

I will just stick with this thread for a bit then. :rotfl:
    I'm a Money and Debt Adviser for a homelessness and housing charity in Scotland. If you have any questions about debt management and debt relief under Scots Law, just ask.
    The pain you feel today is the strength you feel tomorrow.
  • kittiej
    Options
    OH, I just wrote a post and it's gone, gone away :(

Anyway, thanks FatVonD, Edwardia and Snaggles :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure