PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all.
    I'm being a busy bee today so won't be posting till later once I've got all my jobs done.
    Love the litter picking stories especially the hedgehog rescue.

Have a joyfilled day all
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) That's useful to know.

I have encountered various methods of Sock Management:

1. The Free Radical who buys any socks of any style and colour, the lairier the better, chucks them loose into a container and samples them at random. Their response to someone pointing out that they're wearing odd socks; They're not odd, I've got another pair just like this at home.

2. The Organised Type who buys all their socks of exactly the same style, colour and type, often in multipacks and mostly in black. Downfall is that shrinkage and fading can de-standardise even multipack socks, which can be particular distressing for the more organised types.

3. The GQ Solution is to take all the socks which Mum has discarded as being tight around the cuff or simple over-supply, and wear them until the go to religion. The advantage is that you don't have to buy socks for a decade or more. I might even be SABLE in sockery, only time will tell.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Charly27
    Charly27 Posts: 602 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Worry not Karmacat I left Birkenhead when I was 6 as my mum and dad moved to n. Wales. Ribbed mercilessly for my scouse accent so it's mellowed to Lancs now I think. Still can't Kondo my flat vowels! Why would I want to, they spark endless joy! Perfect for teaching synthetic phonics;)
    Siebrie good luck with the party plans. I remember those days so well, trying to work with children around. Be kind to yourself, we just try to do too much:(
    ‘One of our greatest freedoms is how we react to things’ said Mole.Cross stitch cafe WIP ‘The Best is yet to come’ Emma Congham & ‘A Year in the Life of’ HSC. TaDa Welcome
  • tibawo
    tibawo Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a tub of socks at the bottom of my bed waiting to be attacked today. There are loads of white ones, different styles and lengths but few match. Thinking on using them to put over my hand to clean with!
    Go get it!
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,985 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    With OH's work socks we got fed up with the endless shades of black. We now only buy the multipacks which have each pair of socks with a different colour heel and toe which makes them miles easier to sort. The whole lot get chucked on the bed and get folded into his sock drawer which is in the bedside cabinet.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• mavvymoo
    mavvymoo Posts: 2,152 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Morning all :D
    iamsalt well done for saving the little hedgehog we also litterpick our village and the worse thing I have found as I told you all a while ago.Was a catering size double deep fat frier complete with black dirty cooking oil :eek:
    I often litterpick the lane outside my house and am always amazed by the amount of energy drink cans do people really need that much energy ? :rotfl:Every second item is one of these cans and the other thing is Maccy Ds cups and burger boxes but the really strange thing is we do not have a Maccy ds within 25 miles of us so why poeple chuck them out the windows of their cars outside mine I have no idea :doh:

Anyway I will come off this subject as it will ruin my day if I let it :)

Well done to all some fantastic results kondoing at its best I think :D

I have managed to kondo another 2lbs this week along with 7 x jackets :eek: 4 x tops, and 2 x pairs of trousers all now down at the sale we are doing Saturday :T

So I am still on board ;)

Mav x

Debt free and Mortgage free thank you to all for your encouragement and advice
    :j
    Crazy Clothes challenge £300/£48 and 5 months /0 without spending :T

• Pepperoni
    Pepperoni Posts: 461 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I read the Konmari book and did quite a lot of my home a year or so ago, but some areas have definitely grown back. I need to pull the book out and remotivate myself - just find it hard with 2 little ones.

It's mostly the toys that have overgrown again! Generally just need to sort the house out.
    • [STRIKE]Credit Card: £2,989 / £2,989[/STRIKE]
    • Bank Loan: £12,000 / £14,000
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Charly27 wrote: »
    Worry not Karmacat I left Birkenhead when I was 6 as my mum and dad moved to n. Wales. Ribbed mercilessly for my scouse accent so it's mellowed to Lancs now I think. Still can't Kondo my flat vowels! Why would I want to, they spark endless joy! Perfect for teaching synthetic phonics;)

:kisses3: You're very kind :) People can hear my local accent when I get excited :rotfl: but otherwise I just sound northern these days, I've lived away for so long ....

Somewhere in China, there are dozens of young teenagers who were taught by one of my younger nephews when he was out there for a year, teaching English. And they all have Scouse accents :D

For my own kondoing, I've checked with a neighbour, and he's fine with letting me use his bin for some of my cushions etc that need to go after stopping work. Just about to put the washing machine on so I can launder the covers before taking them to the charity shop for rags.
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Regarding sorting socks: I try to sort them straight after they come off the line. Dds usually help sorting their own colourful socks and dh's patterened ones. If I don't have time, or helpers, or complete pairs, they all go into one small basket at the bottom of my wardrobe. I do not sort into dd's, dh's or mine at that point, they all go in together. I have found it adds to the chaos if you keep half-pairs in the sock drawers/baskets you think they belong, because, usually, they don't.
    My advice: keep all unsorted socks in one place. It's the first thing I do after my parents leave: look through the sock drawers/baskets and pick out the single socks my mum has put there :)
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • tibawo
    tibawo Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is a new one for me... i have a shelf at the moment full of empty storage tubs. There will be even more when dd1 has craft stall and I've sorted the pine shelves [holding area whilst i sort]..

Dilemma is do i get rid now or do I hang on to for now as they might prove useful sorting other things? They are not in the way and are on a top shelf under stairs.

Think I'm not used to having them.
    Go get it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family