Out of my depth, don't know where to turn

Straight off I will say I am a worrier always have been.

My mum has had a some issues with her menstrual cycle which has been cause for concern, she's had tests and scans done. Today we went to gynecologist for discussion and the senior registrar kept saying cancer.

By end of the conversation she left me with the impression that they are expecting a diagnosis of ovarian cancer, she has thickening of the womb after menopause and a cyst of 19cm diameter approx.

Their proposal is a full hysterectomy including ovaries tubes and cervix. We won't know till then 100% if it is or isn't. She is 57, and after looking online at ovarian cancer I am not left with a whole lot of optimism regarding survival rates.....has anyone got first hand experience here that can shed some wisdom, help or anything that will help me right now..........

Comments

• I'm sorry you are going through this.

From what you've said, it could just as easily be endometrial cancer + a 'normal' cyst though, which has a completely different path and prognosis - or any number of other things, so I think what is best is for you to get in touch with the Oncology Nurse in Gynae (your Mum's Consultant's Secretary will be able to put you in contact). They will be able to give you and your Mum more time to explain things, as it's so very easy for the words that come after 'cancer' to blur. I used to have calls like that when I worked in Gynae, and that was exactly what I'd do. If there wasn't a specific number for a secretary, asking for the Oncology Nurse in Gynaecology would be enough information for somebody on the main switchboard to put you through to the right person as well.

It sounds as though she's already being very well looked after, in that she's had tests and scans - not everybody is fortunate enough to have a GP that recognises the symptoms - and really, it's not until surgery and tests upon the tissue they have removed that they would be able to give you an accurate picture of what they have found.

But you definitely need support now. What you're feeling is completely normal - it is terrifying for patient and family.

Don't be afraid to ask for help now. You need it to support your Mum the best that you can, she needs it to deal with what is to come, whatever it is.

And, moreover, I think you need a hug. If I were there, you'd have one.

Leave your laptop alone unless it's looking up the Consultant's Secretary's extension number to call in the morning. Please.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • I have no really words of wisdom but wanted to give you a virtual hug.

It's hard but try & focus on getting the diagnosis...once you have that you know exactly what you're dealing with.

In the meantime think about how you can support your mum in her recovery - she's probably panicking about practical day to day stuff.

It might also be an idea if, next time you & your mum meet the doctors, ask if you can record the conversation. When your given news like this it's easy to panic & not really listen to what they're saying.

Look after yourselves x
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    benign cyst, fibroid....could be anything. They won't know until they operate, at her age it is often seen as sensible to remove everything as there is no need to preserve fertility.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,773 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    ^^

what she (JJTTFisted) said (re the hug and the not searching the WWW for 'information') - I am in an entirely different profession.

rest of it sounds like good advice.

(((hug)))
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Thank you, I know I may be jumping the gun. I can't help it.

I am still scared at the prospect as survival rates for ovarian cancer are not overwhelmingly promimising
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Ovarian cysts greatly increase the risk of ovarian cancer in post menopausal women, did they say they wanted to do the hysterectomy as a precaution?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    It's hard for you but must be even harder for your Mum.

Regardless of how you feel on the inside, try to be positive & upbeat for your Mum.

Hugs to you both & I hope the diagnosis is the most positive it can be.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,749 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    As someone who has recently had several family members told to expect a serious illness, only to then be told it's something minor my advice would be not to worry until a solid diagnosis is in place. It's more likely to be something minor than something major.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Straight off I will say I am a worrier always have been.

My mum has had a some issues with her menstrual cycle which has been cause for concern, she's had tests and scans done. Today we went to gynecologist for discussion and the senior registrar kept saying cancer.

By end of the conversation she left me with the impression that they are expecting a diagnosis of ovarian cancer, she has thickening of the womb after menopause and a cyst of 19cm diameter approx.

Their proposal is a full hysterectomy including ovaries tubes and cervix. We won't know till then 100% if it is or isn't. She is 57, and after looking online at ovarian cancer I am not left with a whole lot of optimism regarding survival rates.....has anyone got first hand experience here that can shed some wisdom, help or anything that will help me right now..........

When you have these conversations with medical people it doesn't always sink in. You will pick up on words that you hear bandied about everywhere, and miss vital information because your brain goes into panic mode.

When I was 59 I collapsed in the middle of the night with massive abdominal pains and had to call an ambulance. They examined me, and put me in a bed. I had an xray and they said I had a very big cyst on my right ovary. I immediately thought of cancer. I went home, and the following week I went to see the consultant. He told me it would be best to have a full hysterectomy. I was shocked, why so drastic. He said that was the best option, take everything away, no further problems.

Four months later the op was done. They checked what they had taken out and said it was benign, no sign of cancer. They had to cut me open because it was a big cyst and they wanted to get it out in one piece. Sometimes these ops can be done through the vagina.

Nine years later and I am fine. What I am saying is don't jump to conclusions before you know all the facts. My surgeon didn't know what he was going to find till he went in there. When you go for your next appointment take a deep breath, have some questions written down on paper to take with you, and go through them. No matter how daft the questions may seem, you need answers to them. Don't be afraid of repeating questions if you don't understand the first answer. You should not be leaving an interview with impressions, you want facts.

While I was waiting for my op I went back to work to keep my brain occupied. I kept myself busy, Four months is a long time to worry if you have cancer or not.

Please try and calm down, it's natural to think the worst, but keep it in mind that there is a very good chance that it might not be as bad as you first thought. Oh, and stop looking online.

Best wishes,
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Thank you, I know I may be jumping the gun. I can't help it.

I am still scared at the prospect as survival rates for ovarian cancer are not overwhelmingly promimising

No, sweetie, they're not. But people do survive. And survival rates for other gynaecological cancers are much, much better. They've seen 'something' and some thickening of the endometrium, not 'there is definitely cancer'.

Overnight, I've remembered something that happened to my mother - she had terrible back pain, had gynae problems, and was sent for a scan on her lower spine when she was 48. They saw a large mass, which obviously scared her a lot and galvanised the NHS into superefficient, worth every taxpayer's penny mode.

Turned out, after the hysterectomy/lab tests, that she had fibroids, which were entirely benign, and a completely separate spinal problem that was also dealt with surgically once they'd dealt with the scariest looking thing why taking everything out at once, no need to ever worry about any of the area again.

The internet wasn't around then - I'm sure she'd have had me looking for information like you've been doing, but it wouldn't have revealed that, apart from the inconvenience/discomfort of the operation(s), there was nothing life threatening.

I think this must be the hardest part for anybody - the not knowing stage. Because, just as where the stories you read have the scariest images, your imagination is going to fix upon the scariest things.

I can't stop you doing it, but there is nothing to be gained by you doing it right now, because nobody knows exactly what your Mum needs to be treated for, not even her doctors. Please, try and save your emotional energy until you know it's needed.

And get that help!
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family