PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

About to rent my property, barking dog issue.

Options

Comments

• PhilE
    PhilE Posts: 566 Forumite
    edited 11 July 2017 at 10:34AM
    Options
    A few minutes barking several times a week?

I'm sorry but I think you have unrealistic expectations if you think that makes them 'chavs' and antisocial, and I think its far more antisocial of you to be shouting' chav' at them over the fence!

Nobody who lives near other people, or roads, or animals, can 'rely on quiet'. The police helicopter was over here late last night, alarms go off, people talk to each other, kids laugh and cry, dogs bark, cars go past, doors slam, emergency vehicles have their sirens on, people play music, or practice musical instruments, my next door neighbour is currently very very poorly and shouts a lot. If you want to be able to 'rely on quiet' you have to go and live somewhere isolated.

Of course dogs are pets first and foremost, but they are also fantastic at warning you if something is awry in your home, and that's not a trait that should be trained out imo.

So if a neighbor turned the volume of a stereo up at full blast say 8 times per hour in 2 minute bursts would you be ok with that? No. Are you honestly telling me you wouldn't like to have relax in your garden at the end of a working day in summer, without an incredibly loud noise going off every few minutes?

Why would it be bad with a stereo but ok because its a dog? Why do you think there are laws for such things?

Its unwarranted and anti social. A dog owner is allowing his/her dog to make unnecessary noise. Just because its the owners pride and joy doesn't make it an excuse, no more than the stereo. It might be the owners beloved, but to others the noise is obviously a disturbance.

This is an obvious fact which has to be pointed out to irresponsible owners time and time again. By all means love your pet and have a dog, but that shouldn't be at the expense of others.

And barking dogs can ruin peoples lives. They affect work, sleep, they affect children's performances at school.
    If you'd ruin another persons life because you want the luxury of a barking dog, if you'd knowingly disturb a kids sleep, your unfit for society as far as I'm concerned. Once again, there are laws against this for a reason. A judge might not see your dog as your beloved and the neighbors can go to hell.

As for the old burglar alarm theory, what if the burglar alarm went of 3 times per hour for no reason? What if it was preventing you from sleeping, and the first thing you heard in the morning? Would that serve as an active deterrent or would a neighbor think, 'its just the dog barking, nothing new.'

And some neighbors might thing, 'well they've made my life hell with their dog, why should I help them?' If you decide to be a bad neighbor, don't go expecting help from someone who could have been a good neighbor, if you'd treated them right.

And allowing a dog to bark incessantly is being a bad neighbor.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    PhilE wrote: »
    So if a neighbor turned the volume up at full blast say 8 times per hour in 2 minute bursts would you be ok with that?

How is that equivalent to 'a few minutes several times a week' which is what the other poster objected to?

Answer that and then I'll bother reading the rest of your post.
  • PhilE
    Options
    How is that equivalent to 'a few minutes several times a week' which is what the other poster objected to?

Answer that and then I'll bother reading the rest of your post.

Doesn't matter about the exact timings as you well know.

When is disturbing neighbors unnecessarily ever ok? Why is it so hard to quite simply be respectful to other people? Ask yourself that.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options

Well if you can't see a difference between a deliberate loud noise 8 times every hour hour for 2 minutes at a time, and a noise that is natural and part of living in a populated area for 'a few minutes several times a week' then I don't see any point trying to discuss the issue sensibly.
  • pinkpiglit
    pinkpiglit Posts: 304 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I fully agree with you about how annoying and upsetting the barking can be. I grew up on a working farm where dogs did not bark unless they were instructed to bark.

We live opposite a block of flats which has a jack russell terrier in one of the ground floor flats. As far as I can tell, the owner (a delightful unemployed older gentleman who regularly hangs his naked beer belly out the window to talk to neighbours and take deliveries of goodness knows what) does not take the dog for walks.

During summer his window is open for most of the day, and whenever anyone walks in the vicinity of the property the dog can be found standing with front paws on the open window sill barking madly.Sometimes it’s for a minute or two, sometimes for an hour.Usually starts up around 9am and last lot of barking is usually around 9pm when he shuts the window.Yes, you could say that the dog is just “guarding” its territory, but in reality its bored and barking at whatever the hell takes its fancy.The owner never bothers to stop it.

Things nearly came to a head two weeks ago when, during the really hot weather, their lounge window was still open and the dog started up at 1am!!In the dead still of night the sound was even worse.It went on for about 10 minutes before I got out of bed and screamed out our window that if he didn’t shut the dog up then I would come over and shut it up for him.Their window was promptly shut.

So yes, I fully understand your pain. (My OH however isn’t really bothered and thinks I am too sensitive!)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 10 July 2017 at 2:51PM
    Options

When is disturbing neighbors unnecessarily ever ok? Why is it so hard to quite simply be respectful to other people? Ask yourself that.

Quite....:T

Being more exact on chav dog near me and it happens many days and several times a day. Part of the problem is knowing it's not possible to rely on "peace and quiet" in one's own home.

I don't think there can be that many homes that get bothered by a barking dog scenario imo - because I'm old enough by now (ie in my 60s) to have had a variety of homes (both as a child and then as an adult with a home in my own right) and can count on one hand the number of "barking dog episodes" before moving to current home. One would assume that a person that had had over 60 years of life in a variety of homes would be aware by now if "barking dog noise" was a commonplace occurrence or no and, in my experience, it isn't. I can't recall ever noticing barking dogs in any of my friends/relatives homes over the years either.

So I know (from my own personal experience) that most neighbours don't cause this sort of problem to happen.
  • PhilE
    Options
    Well if you can't see a difference between a deliberate loud noise 8 times every hour hour for 2 minutes at a time, and a noise that is natural and part of living in a populated area for 'a few minutes several times a week' then I don't see any point trying to discuss the issue sensibly.

Tell you what, I'll set up a 'burglar alarm,' to go off incessantly between 8am and 11 pm, 7 days per week. If you politely ask me to turn the 'alarm,' off I'll get all offended and keep the alarm on anyway. Then you'll understand what its like to love next to a barking dog and irresponsible owner.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Tell you what, I'll set up a 'burglar alarm,' to go off incessantly between 8am and 11 pm, 7 days per week. If you politely ask me to turn the 'alarm,' off I'll get all offended and keep the alarm on anyway. Then you'll understand what its like to love next to a barking dog and irresponsible owner.

That has absolutely nothing to do with what I posted in response to 'moneyistooshorttomention'.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    The chav neighbour I have lets their dog bark for minutes at a time and it happens several times a week.

Being more exact on chav dog near me and it happens many days and several times a day.

So which is actually true?
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    So which is actually true?

I'm sorry you have a problem with reading "being more exact".:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts