PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 1 July 2016 at 12:48PM
    pineapple wrote: »
    But where would we be without rebels? No suffragettes for a start! :(
    As for the biggest danger being our own government - I would add 'or any big interest'. Or in fact, at times, each other. There that's covered all the bases - except perhaps, on a gardening theme - slugs :mad:
    Ps If things got really bad, could you eat a whole one? :eek:

Absolutely:T

'Twas ever thus - and we'd all still be in caves if no-one ever questioned whoever-currently-thinks-they-are-IT/whatever laws, etc we have/etc.

I've also got the info. on how to purge snails, etc - and there is no way I'd ever use it. Yuk! Maybe I could also lure a load of ants to me - and dream up a recipe for covering them with a high-taste sauce - but that also counts as "Yuk. No chance".
  • lobbyludd
    lobbyludd Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    pineapple wrote: »
    But where would we be without rebels? No suffragettes for a start! :(
    As for the biggest danger being our own government - I would add 'or any big interest'. Or in fact, at times, each other. There that's covered all the bases - except perhaps, on a gardening theme - slugs :mad:
    Ps If things got really bad, could you eat a whole one? :eek:

All the slugs live in my garden - they may venture out and visit you all in other places around the country but they all live here and return frequently.

If things got bad and slugs became a food stuff I would probably be the biggest supplier in the country, possibly the world. I would not insist on building an empire with this bounty, I'd be very happy to share with all and sundry. In fact shall we start now?

Hate, hate, hate slugs.
    :AA/give up smoking (done) :)
  • I think Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall tried to find some way of making slugs palatable and even he couldn't stomach them no matter what he tried, I think he said that no matter what he did he couldn't de-slime them. Snails, woodlice even earthworms are all edible but slugs I think sadly are NOT. Thanks so much for the offer LOBBYLUDD but I'll pass on the slugs and go snailing instead!
  • Blue_Doggy
    Blue_Doggy Posts: 801 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I think Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall tried to find some way of making slugs palatable and even he couldn't stomach them no matter what he tried, I think he said that no matter what he did he couldn't de-slime them. Snails, woodlice even earthworms are all edible but slugs I think sadly are NOT. Thanks so much for the offer LOBBYLUDD but I'll pass on the slugs and go snailing instead!

There's something special about slug slime - if you gather the horrors while wearing old Marigolds, the slime eats away at the gloves and makes big holes in them.

Some people are experimenting with "growing" mealworms and crickets for the human food market - I don't really fancy it myself, but I suppose in desperation ....
    “Tomorrow is another day for decluttering.”
    Decluttering 2023 🏅🏅🏅🏅⭐️⭐️
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I've mentioned that I am trying to find a way of increasing my bone density that doesn't involve taking bisphosphonates. It appears that Vitamin K2 is a really important part of this as it gets the calcium in your diet into your bones rather than your arteries.

Contrary to what I thought to start with, you don't get much K2 from green leafy veg - that's K1 which controls blood clotting and why you have to limit the leaves if you are on Warfarin

Apparently the best food source is natto but everything I have read suggests that this is unbearably slimy to Western palates. Sounds even worse than slugs !!!!

Next best sources are liver and aged cheese. Now that's MUCH more like it! But I will need to take supplements to get enough.
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Speaking of woodlice - aka other darn garden pests....:(

Darn things do like my strawberries. I've lost count of the number of times I've reached to pick a strawberry at absolute peak of ripeness (guess you all know the exact shade of red I mean...) to find that something has had a chomp at it. Quite often the "something" concerned is still inside it (ie said woodlice).

I did read a tip on the Net recently about it being possible to pick strawberries when they are nearly ripe and put them on a sunny windowsill to finish ripening. The logic behind it being that apparently woodlice like strawberries at the exact "just fully ripe" stage we do and if one picks them just before that stage they've probably not got to them yet.

Cue for me doing exactly that and daily strawberry patrol now includes picking the nearly ripe ones too and putting on kitchen windowsill. I've found its true that they do finish ripening there - and I suspect a lower proportion of them are attacked by woodlice that way. So - thats what I'm doing now.

Of course - it's not just woodlice that like an exactly-ripe strawberry. A friend tells me her dog keeps a close weathereye on her strawberries growing and will take them when they've got to that stage of ripeness too. So she's also going to have a go at picking at the "just-before" stage - so the dog doesnt get them all.
  • Pineapple

One you'll like that I've just been reminded of - and a salutary reminder...

https://vimeo.com/50823223

Jonathon Livingston Seagull - a book I rather liked and it sounds like time to "re-read" it.:)
  • Oh GROSS!!!
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Oh GROSS!!!
    I felt sort of ill just posting that
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income