Ps3 Wireless Connection (wpa Key)

Comments

• mikeopvc wrote: »
    In security I have 2 encryption types to choose from, TKIP and AES. It is currently set at TKIP, under that is the network security key but again that just reads as 8 dots.

Leave it at TKIP - that's fine. Delete the dots and put in something simple like "saturday". Use the same password on the ps3.

If it works go back and change the password to something more secure like "SaturdayWasTheDayIGotMyps3ConnectedTo192*168*0*1FANTASTIC!!!"

Brian.
  • kle87
    kle87 Posts: 411 Forumite
    Hi guys,

I have a problem connecting my ps3 to the internet wirelessly. I previously used a belkin router and it connected instantly with no problems, however have changed ISPs to AOL and now have a Netgear router.

Rang AOL, they said to click 'use proxy server' and then said i needed to contact sony for the address. Is this true? Can anyone help me please? :money:
    2010 Wins: Benecol Bag For Life, £150 FCUK Voucher, Rimmel Foundation, L'oreal Mascara, £60 worth of hair products, £100 :j
  • mikeopvc
    mikeopvc Posts: 912
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I used the nirsoft utility to check and got 2 results, each with a different key type, WEP and WPA-PSK. Under Key(hex) is a 10 digit key for WEP and a 64 digit key for WPA-PSK.
    Is one better to use than the other or shall I just try any?
  • mikeopvc
    Forumite
    Leave it at TKIP - that's fine. Delete the dots and put in something simple like "saturday". Use the same password on the ps3.

If it works go back and change the password to something more secure like "SaturdayWasTheDayIGotMyps3ConnectedTo192*168*0*1FANTASTIC!!!"

Brian.

Tried that brian, didn't work now my pc isn't connecting and as I don't know my key I can't sort it.:o
  • albertross_2
    albertross_2 Posts: 8,932 Forumite
    Mike,

login to the router, and there you will find the key
    Ever get the feeling you are wasting your time? :rolleyes:
  • The PS3 wpa key needs to be 13 characters exactly, change the router as well to 13 random letter/numbers
  • mikeopvc
    Forumite
    How do I change the key on the router?, I did try that once as brian suggested above, I typed in SATURDAY as the network key and then repeated this for the ps3, it didn't work so I went back to my pc and found I had lost the connection on that. The WPA-PSK key I got from the nirsoft utility is 64 characters, I did try that on the ps3 but still no success.
  • mikeopvc wrote: »
    How do I change the key on the router?, I did try that once as brian suggested above, I typed in SATURDAY as the network key and then repeated this for the ps3, it didn't work so I went back to my pc and found I had lost the connection on that. The WPA-PSK key I got from the nirsoft utility is 64 characters, I did try that on the ps3 but still no success.

How exactly are trying to contact the router from the PC? Something like http://192.168.0.1 with your browser?

Brian.
  • mikeopvc
    Forumite
    The PS3 wpa key needs to be 13 characters exactly, change the router as well to 13 random letter/numbers

My WPA KEY is 64 characters, how do I change it to 13 characters, I thought I had changed it once to SATURDAY as suggested by brian but not only did it not work on the ps3 but I couldn't even get back online on my pc until I retyped the 64 character key.
  • albertross_2
    albertross_2 Posts: 8,932 Forumite
    Until you post the model of the router, you aren't going to get very far. Are you sure it isn't wep?
    Ever get the feeling you are wasting your time? :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport