PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What to do with a flopped cake. Please help.

Hi All,

I tried to make a vanilla cake this afternoon. Unfortunately, it's burnt ontop and the inside is quite runny. Is there anything I can do with it. The oven is new and was set correctly so I'm not sure how this happened.

Rather than chucking it in the bin please share your ideas.

Thanks.

For God knew in His great wisdom

That he couldn't be everywhere,
So he put His little Children
In a loving mother's care.

Comments

• Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    How about (and I'm not expert) - stick it back in on a moderate/low heat, til it's cooked through (and hopefully not much more black on the outside) - then cut all the edges off and dice it up. Use it in a trifle, or something like that?
  • As having experience of the same thing.

Crank the heat up on the oven to high. Ensure it gets hot and then place cake in oven..

Dependining on how runny the middle is.

Liquid runny about 10 mins - 15 mins electric oven less if gas or fan oven.

Let it cool, slice burnt bits of top and edges.

Slice in to sponge fingers and use as triffle or tiramisu or an type of dessert with ice cream , jelly base... possibly a fruit flan base with fruit on top.. ideal for Sunday tea time... or after main meal..

Worse case just thoow to the birds.. as it happens to all of us at some point.. Just never give up as its healthier option to bake your own.

:beer:
  • Pollybear
    Pollybear Posts: 3,235
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Next time do what I do - put a piece of cardboard on the top until the cake is supposed to be ready and then take it off and when it's browned put in a skewer (or a knife if, like me, you don't have a skewer) and when it comes out clean it's cooked in the middle. If it starts browning too much before it's ready inside just pop the cardboard back on again.
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    To check if it is cooked in the middle put a skewer in & pull out, when it comes out if any bits of cake are adhearing to it then it isn't cooked yet, if it comes out clean then it is done. Not much help this time I know but might help in future;)

Edit : Oops, sorry didn't read Pollybears' post properly. Didn't mean to steal her thunder!
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • Pollybear
    Pollybear Posts: 3,235
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    S'OK - my thunder is very muted :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts