Will this affect my no claims

December my car was hit and written off, other driver admitted liability, i went directly through other drivers insurance and was given an enterprise hire car untill my total loss payment went through.
Wen collecting hire car was told excess would b £500 or the lower amount that my excess for my car insure would b.

Today iv found the hire car has been keyed, how does it work, will they claim repair off my insurance affecting my 5years no claims or there own?
And the excess payment they spoke of, how is that paid? Will they want to take it immediately? Ty

Comments

• Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Unless you took out the additional cover, you'll have to pay for the excess on the hire cars policy, which will likely cost you more than the damage is worth. This won't affect your premium, BUT your earlier non-fault accident will bump your premium substantially (regardless of NCB) because your now a high risk driver, for the next 5 years or so.

This sounds unfair and it probably is, but this is how insurance works these days, your basically paying for all the idiots who drive around brake checking and deliberately p1ssing off tailgaters instead of just moving out of the way and letting them get on with it.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Strider590 wrote: »
    Unless you took out the additional cover, you'll have to pay for the excess on the hire cars policy, which will likely cost you more than the damage is worth. This won't affect your premium, BUT your earlier non-fault accident will bump your premium substantially (regardless of NCB) because your now a high risk driver, for the next 5 years or so.

This sounds unfair and it probably is, but this is how insurance works these days, your basically paying for all the idiots who drive around brake checking and deliberately p1ssing off tailgaters instead of just moving out of the way and letting them get on with it.

So not the tailgaters then......
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    I had it in my head that when a courtesy car is supplied following an accident it is covered by your own policy, thinking about it this may just be when the car is via your own insurance.

OP - what does your paperwork say about any damage? Could be worth getting a smart repair done before handing it back.
  • Strider590 wrote: »

Are you sure? What the op is saying in effect is they've had an accident and been a victim of criminal damage.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Your earlier non fault accident MAY effect your future premiums, but this isnt the question you asked.

If the hire car was covered on yours or the hire cars insurance you will would of still had a "loss", be it criminal damage or otherwise. So by the book you need to disclose this for 5+ years which will likely effect your premium, if its covered on your policy and you claim then it will effect your NCD. The excess will be deducted from your credit card when you hand the car back.

Best thing you can do is get a smart repair done and forget about it, if its that noticeable.
  • Did you take out any additional cover from enterprise? Or just use your excess?

They do a payment 'instead' of the excess. So £75 and you're covered so long as it's within reason, any little dints and scratches, otherwise it'll be up your excess or the cost of the repair, whatever is cheapest. Do you remember anything like that?

How bad is the damage?

Have a good read of the t&cs and see if it's any more clearer for you.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 18 January 2017 at 12:21PM
    bigadaj wrote: »
    So not the tailgaters then......

Well my travels in different countries have taught me that the REAL problem with tailgating in the UK is that people take the law into their own hands when dealing with it. In other countries it happens all the time and nobody really bothers about it, they just ignore it and carry on.

It may be illegal, it may be dangerous, but what makes it more dangerous is people getting all egotistical or butt hurt over it and doing stupid things.

UK drivers are some of the most aggressive (and passive-aggressive) and dangerous I have ever encountered anywhere, you can't even merge lanes in this country without someone trying to cut you off. It's not a driving standards thing, it's not the roads, it's not the highway code, it is PURELY down to driver mentality and self entitlement.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Strider590 wrote: »
    Well my travels in different countries have taught me that the REAL problem with tailgating in the UK is that people take the law into their own hands when dealing with it. In other countries it happens all the time and nobody really bothers about it, they just ignore it and carry on.

It may be illegal, it may be dangerous, but what makes it more dangerous is people getting all egotistical or butt hurt over it and doing stupid things.

UK drivers are some of the most aggressive (and passive-aggressive) and dangerous I have ever encountered anywhere, you can't even merge lanes in this country without someone trying to cut you off. It's not a driving standards thing, it's not the roads, it's not the highway code, it is PURELY down to driver mentality and self entitlement.

And if you're the same strider that used to post on YouTube that accurately describes you.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Strider590 wrote: »

You haven't travelled to many countries if that is your opinion, and says far more about you than anyone else.

Presumably never driven in west Africa, Egypt, Morocco, India, Thailand, Philippines, Russia, I could go on. The majority of Latin counties are pretty crazy, I've nearly been forced off the road by a mad overtake in the Pyrenees, Portugal has a proud history of claiming to have the most dangerous drivers in Europe, energetically disputed by the Greeks. Italy people will just slowly nudge you out of the way.

There are idiots on uk roads, but try some of the selection above before commenting too much.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure