Radio turning on by itself

Hi,

My car radio has been turning itself on randomly and draining my battery, anyone have any ideas what the issue could be?

Its an 09 plate ford focus zetec s

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    How do you know this?
    Perhaps it's just a duff battery and requires replacement.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If you're sure it's the radio then I'd suspect a dodgy connection in the switching circuit. But far more common ( at least in my experience ) is an interior light being left on, usually due to a faulty switch. Boot lights are the worst culprit, as you usually can't actually see that it's left on. This is where bribing a small child ( preferably your own ! ) with sweets can help - get them to climb into the boot, shut the lid, and get them to see if the light goes out. If you're feeling charitable, you can let them out again after just a few seconds :rotfl:
  • Hi, I was walking past the car and could hear the radio blaring out. Tried to turn it off a couple of times and came back on. Thought I'd finally turned it off but obviously not :(

Only had a new battery about 4 months ago
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Possibly water getting in somewhere behind the dash. Could be a blocked drainhole somewhere.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What's the power switch on the stereo like - is it worn or dirty (on the inside)? - even if the switch was dodgy and causing it to turn on, I'd imagine a half modern car like this would only allow the stereo to stay on for, say, 15 mins, and automatically switch it off.
    It could be a complex wiring issue but try this very simple one - when you leave the car, switch the stereo off manually, instead of just letting it switch itself off when you cut the ignition or open the door. It's a workaround, not a fix, but it's free and easy...
  • reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You can buy special builders' radios which I believe don't have an on/off switch. Perhaps someone's substituted one of them.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 19 January 2017 at 2:41PM
    Experience tells me that this is more than likely a dodgy switch caused by someone spilling liquid all over it.
    I dare say there are nearby cup holders or an area above where drinks/etc area placed.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,016 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The radio in my old vectra used to do this. Vauxhall used some daft system that you could switch it on without the keys in by pressing the on switch. Taking the dog for a walk, it always seemed to be playing when I walked past the car, despite it being off when I locked up.

As above, was probably damp inside the switch. I just swapped the radio for another one, and never had any more trouble.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Christine reincarnated :eek:
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure