Consumer Rights: MSE Article discussion (DO NOT ASK CONSUMER QUESTIONS HERE)

Comments

• Recently had 2 leather sofas delivered that were damaged. Retailer is saying they will only repair or order new ones. It took 23 weeks to get these one's and don't see why I should take a repair when they cost £5k. Consumer Direct say they should refund but they are refusing and the credit card are not being helpful either even though we thought under Section 75 that they would? Any thoughts???
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Recently had 2 leather sofas delivered that were damaged. Retailer is saying they will only repair or order new ones. It took 23 weeks to get these one's and don't see why I should take a repair when they cost £5k. Consumer Direct say they should refund but they are refusing and the credit card are not being helpful either even though we thought under Section 75 that they would? Any thoughts???

How long have you had them?

You have a "reasonable" time to reject, (this is not defined in law), as they where delivered damaged, (I assume you told them immediately?), you can reject them under SoGA as not being "fit for purpose", (what is the damage?), and/or not of "satisfactory quality".

Suggest you write Recorded Delivery to the retailer informing them of their obligations under SoGA, also if you paid by Credit Card, write to the CC company informing them you wish to start a S75 claim.

More on SoGA.

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• Thanks for this. We examined them as soon as they brought them in doors and refused to accept delivery, so they had to take them back. We wrote this on the delivery sheet saying they were damaged. Credit card company is saying there is nothing they can do as the retailer offered a 'goodwill' gesture of a repair or to order a new suite! We thought under the SoG act that as they weren't fit for purpose or of satisfactory quality and the fact that we returned them straight away that we should get a full refund?
  • derrick
    Thanks for this. We examined them as soon as they brought them in doors and refused to accept delivery, so they had to take them back. We wrote this on the delivery sheet saying they were damaged. Credit card company is saying there is nothing they can do as the retailer offered a 'goodwill' gesture of a repair or to order a new suite! We thought under the SoG act that as they weren't fit for purpose or of satisfactory quality and the fact that we returned them straight away that we should get a full refund?

As you have not accepted them and they have been returned to the retailer, you should not have to pay for them, instruct your CC that you want an immediate refund of the cost back to your account.

What is the damage? as from my first link above there is this;-
    " However, if the damage is minor and can be repaired easily, then the shop can insist on this as a first option, although this will not stop you from taking it back if the repair is unsatisfactory or there is something else wrong with it."

But then there is this from the second link;-
    "It is what you expected? if you have bought something on the basis of the seller’s description or a sample, you should expect the item to conform exactly to that description or sample. If it does not, you have the right to reject the goods, demand a full refund and possibly claim damages. This is still the case even where you have selected or examined the items for yourself before buying them."

Suggest another call to Consumer Direct, 0808 1561036, (free from a landline).

• I have a fraud to expose
    Last month (january) my girlfriend bought me a ticket to Belgium through National Express coaches Eurolines .
    At the end of the booking she ticked a box agreeing to receive offers of discounts from shopperdiscount.co.uk
    .On February the 11th her bank account has been debited by £10 from shopperdiscount.co.uk .Her bank says that she has set up a direct debit of £10 a month towards these people.
    Now we have never signed or accepted any form of deal that states she pays money for any reason.
    How can we recover that £10 and stop this scam going on?
    I phoned OFT and reported the scam.
    They believe we have a right of cancelling and appeal for money refund.
    We have been advised to write to shopperdiscount by post and keepp the poste.
  • derrick
    afrodelux wrote: »
    I have a fraud to expose
    Last month (january) my girlfriend bought me a ticket to Belgium through National Express coaches Eurolines .
    At the end of the booking she ticked a box agreeing to receive offers of discounts from shopperdiscount.co.uk
    .On February the 11th her bank account has been debited by £10 from shopperdiscount.co.uk .Her bank says that she has set up a direct debit of £10 a month towards these people.
    Now we have never signed or accepted any form of deal that states she pays money for any reason.
    How can we recover that £10 and stop this scam going on?
    I phoned OFT and reported the scam.
    They believe we have a right of cancelling and appeal for money refund.
    We have been advised to write to shopperdiscount by post and keepp the poste.

In the first instance, contact your bank and stop the DD, also if you are absolutely convinced you did not set up a DD for £10. a month, ask your bank to do a chargeback, if you did ,(unwittingly), sign a monthly DD, then you can only appeal to shopperdiscount for a goodwill gesture of the £10.

Not sure if it is a scam? as you may have ticked a box unwittingly, it does happen!
    Do you have a copy of the DD mandate? As if you did sign one then shopperdiscount and your bank will have a copy, a copy should also have been sent to you prior to any deductions from your bank.

• derrick wrote: »
    In the first instance, contact your bank and stop the DD, also if you are absolutely convinced you did not set up a DD for £10. a month, ask your bank to do a chargeback, if you did ,(unwittingly), sign a monthly DD, then you can only appeal to shopperdiscount for a goodwill gesture of the £10.

Not sure if it is a scam? as you may have ticked a box unwittingly, it does happen!
    Do you have a copy of the DD mandate? As if you did sign one then shopperdiscount and your bank will have a copy, a copy should also have been sent to you prior to any deductions from your bank.

If by DD then you can claim under the DD guarantee scheme. It isn't actually a chargeback - that applies in respect of cards.
  • Hello everyone

My girlfriend's laptop stopped working other day. It wasnt charging, so I went to a local computer shop. They plugged different charger and everything was fine so I bought it. The charger was £49 pounds and its for Toshiba laptop but it is not made by Toshiba. When i came home I've checked the prices on Ebay and i could buy the same charger for £7.45 with free delivery!!. Obviously i feel like i was ripped off. Ive got the receipt but they dont state any terms on it. Ive paid with my debit card. I wonder if I have the right to return the item??

Thank you for the replies
    Marcin
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    lrdcossity wrote: »
    Hello everyone

My girlfriend's laptop stopped working other day. It wasnt charging, so I went to a local computer shop. They plugged different charger and everything was fine so I bought it. The charger was £49 pounds and its for Toshiba laptop but it is not made by Toshiba. When i came home I've checked the prices on Ebay and i could buy the same charger for £7.45 with free delivery!!. Obviously i feel like i was ripped off. Ive got the receipt but they dont state any terms on it. Ive paid with my debit card. I wonder if I have the right to return the item??

Thank you for the replies
    Marcin

no,you bought the item
    its works and is what you needed
    you went to the shop because it wasnt working
    you got advice and got to check you needed the charger
    you got it straight away
  • Hi I'm new to this so hope this post is in the right place.
    Has anyone bought goods from Co-Op Electrical. I ordered a freezer in Jan and was told a few days later that delivery would be 5 weeks as the item was being delivered from the manufacturer. I agreed to this delay however when that date passed I phoned them to find out what was happening. I was told it would be 'in next week' and they would arrange a delivery date. This did not happen so I phoned again & this time they had no record of me speaking to the customer services however stated it could be delivered next week!! I have now cancelled the item, hopefully I will get a full refund, interest would also be good as they charged my credit card at the time of my order.:mad:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback