Welsh Mountain Zoo

Has anyone ever been to this zoo?

If so, is it worth a visit?

Thanks
Nikki

Comments

• FatAndy
    FatAndy Posts: 7,541 Forumite
    We've developed a family tradition of visiting WMZ each Christmas Eve as they usually offer very cheap admission on that day.

It's not the greatest zoo as far as animals are concerned but it's still well worth a visit for the scenary alone. It's set in woodland on the side of a hill (not a mountain!) and to get around you have follow little country trails. There are some pretty stunning views of the surrounding area and down towards Snowdonia if the weather is clear enough. There's also picnic areas so you can take your own food (or there's a cafe if you want something hot).

Look out for a leaflet called 'Ten Top Attractions' that's available from tourist information points and has a voucher for the zoo. I think it's £1.50 off an adult admission which isn't a huge amount but this a money saving forum after all.

There are pictures here which might give an idea of what's on offer - http://www.qype.co.uk/place/198888-Welsh-Mountain-Zoo-Colwyn-Bay
    The fridge is empty, the walls are damp, there's no hot water
    And I look like a tramp and tramps like us
    Baby we were born to walk
  • Thanks again :)

I did see something about the "ten top attractions" voucher but thought it was a brochure that had to be posted out, and as we are going on our "mini-holiday" on wednesday i didn't think it would arrive in time so thanks for the tip of picking up the leaflet from a tourist information points *thumbs up*
  • FatAndy
    edited 11 October 2010 at 1:07PM
    I hope my comments about the zoo made sense. I realise it sounds a bit odd to suggest visiting a zoo that doesn't have a large collection of animals but WMZ is a great place to visit, especially when the weather's good which it is at present (I'm in Colwyn Bay at the moment and there are blue skies, sunshine and not a cloud in the sky :)).

Ten Top Attractions is a leaflet that you can pick up for free. It actually contains discount vouchers for twelve attractions across North Wales, none of which are particularly generous but if you're going anyway you may as well use them. They have got a website which shows the attractions involved but for some reason they haven't made the vouchers downloadable so you have to get hold of an actual leaflet.

http://www.tentop.co.uk/

The tourist information centre in Llandudno is in the library (which is in the town centre opposite Marks and Spencer) and they should have some. Otherwise you'll find leaflet displays in various random locations including Asda in Llandudno and just outside the entrance to Morrisons in Colwyn Bay.
  • pinkmami
    pinkmami Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    I have & I wouldn't bother again TBH. Much prefer Chester Zoo.
  • pinkmami wrote: »
    I have & I wouldn't bother again TBH. Much prefer Chester Zoo.

Why wouldn't you bother again? (just out of interest)
  • FatAndy wrote: »
    I hope my comments about the zoo made sense. I realise it sounds a bit odd to suggest visiting a zoo that doesn't have a large collection of animals but WMZ is a great place to visit, especially when the weather's good which it is at present (I'm in Colwyn Bay at the moment and there are blue skies, sunshine and not a cloud in the sky :)).

Ten Top Attractions is a leaflet that you can pick up for free. It actually contains discount vouchers for twelve attractions across North Wales, none of which are particularly generous but if you're going anyway you may as well use them. They have got a website which shows the attractions involved but for some reason they haven't made the vouchers downloadable so you have to get hold of an actual leaflet.

http://www.tentop.co.uk/

The tourist information centre in Llandudno is in the library (which is in the town centre opposite Marks and Spencer) and they should have some. Otherwise you'll find leaflet displays in various random locations including Asda in Llandudno and just outside the entrance to Morrisons in Colwyn Bay.

Thanks FatAndy, you've been really helpful :T

Defo gona visit the zoo, especially as the weather is nice and its fairly cheap (inc. voucher haha). Gona go to the zoo on friday on our way home :)
  • Went to the zoo friday afternoon and really enjoyed it! Spent about 3hours there and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Can get really close to some of the animals, unlike at other Zoo's and the setting is AMAZING

Very glad we went and will defo go again if we are ever in North Wales again :)
  • FatAndy
    WMZ have a Halloween Spooktacular event running from 25th - 31st October to coincide with the school half term. The event will include a pumpkin carving competition with prizes on offer at the end of the week. Any child arriving with a pumpkin will get free admission (providing they are with a paying adult). Child admission is normally £7.25 and Asda are currently selling pumpkins for £1 so there's a potential saving of £6.25 per child. At the end of the week the pumpkins get fed to the animals.

http://www.welshmountainzoo.org/events.php
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business