Fine for not renewing road tax

Comments

• derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Wig wrote:
    What are you talking about?

"Why? Why would anyone be stuipid enough to take/put/keep an unlicensed vehicle on the road?"

Ok insert the word "deliberately" Obviously scum do it all the time. But anyone reading my comment #5 would be stupid to do so.

OK so change the goal posts!

We are talking in this thread about the £80 penalty fine for non renewal. We are not talking about using an unlicensed vehicle (although it has been flagged up as a warning see post #5).

I asked you to read post #5 either you did not read it or you don't see the difference between a prosecution for "failure to display/hold a current VED" and "£80 penalty charge for failure to renew VED (or SORN)".

These two things are very different.

Yes they are different, but intertwined, the O P seems to suggest the car was being used for 2 months without tax

What "other quote" of mine are you talking about? I can only assume you mean this one because you earlier replied to this one of mine

The "other quote" is in the same post,#15.

""A day late" well you see when you renew during the month that you expired it is back dated to the 1st of the month, meaning you pay for the full month, so the DVLA is happy because they have their money, and your car did not become untaxed." <<< insert "for DVLA penalty charge purposes only".
    As I said, if you USE the car on the public highway you are committing an offence of not displaying a current RFL therefore by definition you cannot have 14 days grace
    I was respondng to a question by Crabman....that's why I included the MSE board quote featuring Crabman, and to be perfectly clear I started off with "A day late". You see crabman was asking about the £80 fine he did not ask about using the vehicle on the highway. Presumably he had already read post #5 and understood the difference between the two issues.
    I am responding to the OP, who is not Crabman , in the first instance, and to yours to put the facts out there, strictly speaking you could get penalised as even on the first day you are illegal.

As to the 14 days, I could have sworn someone once posted here a quote from the DVLA website where it said that, I have not got time to search right now, I will tomorrow. However, you do have the whole of the 1st expiry month to get it sorted, As I have explained many times before, if you do it within the first month you WILL NOT GET FINED £80.......please note NOWHERE did I say this applies to using your vehicle in the meantime on the highway, infact I specifically mentioned that you could not do that, because I knew someone like you, always comes along and confuses the two issues. I am not confusing the 2 issues, the OP gave the impression that he drove for 2 months therefore bringing in the "offence of not displaying a current RFL". And as mentioned in #4, he has been bl**dy lucky

Let me try and put it in perspective:-

Scenario1:-
    RFL expires Dec 31st, you do not re license
    until Jan 22nd, you have committed 2 offences if driven on the public highway, unlicensed vehicle and not displaying current disc.

Scenario 2:-
    As above but car left on private land, only offence is of not licensing vehicle, unless it is declared SORN, then there is no offence committed.

Is that clear enough?
    The 14 day grace does NOT apply, as it does not exist.
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• Am I doomed?
    I have been rebuilding a car from almost a bare shell on my drive for the last year and a half and this SORN thing never crossed my mind, as I have never had tax on the car as bought as a rolling shell. Am I breaking the law too, as if so I may aswell scrap the shell and sell off all the parts if I am in for a large fine.
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    derrick wrote:
    Let me try and put it in perspective:-

Scenario1:-
    RFL expires Dec 31st, you do not re license
    until Jan 22nd, you have committed 2 offences if driven on the public highway, unlicensed vehicle and not displaying current disc.

Scenario 2:-
    As above but car left on private land, only offence is of not licensing vehicle, unless it is declared SORN, then there is no offence committed.

Is that clear enough?
    The 14 day grace does NOT apply, as it does not exist.

The only way I can say this is that you're an idiot. It's the only thing that explains your behaviour.
  • tripled
    tripled Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Wow, I didn't expect this to be quite so controversial.

I just thought I'd pick up on a couple of points raised:

Tbh, you don't need the renewal notice to remind you when to renew your tax disc, it has its expiry date on and it is right there on your windscreen in front of you.

Ah yes, but pointing out the front. I don't stand in front of my car gazing at it, I sit inside on the opposite side to my tax disc driving it, with the back of the disc facing the passenger.

If the OP drove for 2 months without tax and the tax was £160 they saved about 2 x £13 so the £80 - £26 means the 'fine' was just £53. Pay up, move on and remember next time.

The tax due was actually £29.17. Which I had to pay as well.

If you don't renew your tax disc and you are the registered keeper(you should already have received a reminder) you will recieve a computer generated warning letter 2 weeks later. If you still don't re-tax a computer generated fine is sent out to you on the 1st of the next month (exactly one calendar month after your tax expired.

I never got this magical 'automatic reminder'! I wish I had though, I'd have paid it then :) Took teo months before I got the fine as well.

Anyway, I guess the chances of getting my money back aren't too good then? :p
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,849 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Am I doomed?
    I have been rebuilding a car from almost a bare shell on my drive for the last year and a half and this SORN thing never crossed my mind, as I have never had tax on the car as bought as a rolling shell. Am I breaking the law too

If the VED was renewed after 31 Jan 1998 then you need to declare SORN so yes. If before this date no. Who is the registered keeper of the vehicle and were documents exchanged on purchase ?
  • Probably not what you want to hear but it's not the DVLA's fault!

You might be able to take it up with Royal Mail? I don't know! I'm assuming you pay a fee for this re-direction thingy so maybe it's in the T&C's somewhere but I dare say they have covered their behinds! :confused:
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Am I doomed?
    I have been rebuilding a car from almost a bare shell on my drive for the last year and a half and this SORN thing never crossed my mind, as I have never had tax on the car as bought as a rolling shell. Am I breaking the law too, as if so I may aswell scrap the shell and sell off all the parts if I am in for a large fine.

Do you have a registration document?

It will be worth ringing DVLA about this. Ask them what the score is with unregistered vehicles. And that by registering it you're not lining yourself up for a fine.

If you do have it registered, then you should have recieved by now not only a tax reminder but also a fine, the fact you haven't been fined suggests it is not registered.
  • molerat wrote:
    If the VED was renewed after 31 Jan 1998 then you need to declare SORN so yes. If before this date no. Who is the registered keeper of the vehicle and were documents exchanged on purchase ?

I make the assumption that it has had tax at some point since that date.
    When I bought it, I bought it from a trader and no documents exchanged hands, meaning I had to apply for the V5 along with £19 fee, so now I am the registered keeper.

I'm thinking of breaking it up again, if I am to be fined, although I have photos of what it was like when I bought it, if the DVLA think I am fibbing.
  • Just phoned DVLA and they said to write a letter to my local office and explain and should be looked at with discretion.
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Wig wrote:
    The only way I can say this is that you're an idiot. It's the only thing that explains your behaviour.

To see what an idiot looks like, take a good hard look in a mirror when there is only you in the reflection, now I suggest you go back to your village where there is one missing.

Everything I have said is true.
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family