Should Scotland be an independent country?

Options

Comments

• gm_xone
    gm_xone Posts: 285 Forumite
    Options
    Can I just answer a fallacy I've seen a few times on here... there are other places in the UK you could store the nuclear subs, it's just where they are at the minute is good and there is no point moving them. For instance, look at where the submarines are actually made (clue: it's in England). And whilst may Scots may object to them being stored there, dont discount the amount of people working in defence industry in Scotland who will lose their jobs if they go.

Can I just counter that argument by saying... a Freedom of Information request by Scottish CND revealed that 520 civilian jobs at the Clyde Naval Base were directly dependent on the Trident programme.

Therefore, it seems a reasonably safe bet that £403m a year – the actual cost of Trident to Scotland in the coming decade – could create an awful lot more jobs in the area if used for some other purpose. (It’s enough money to pay 1,000 people a whopping £403,000 a year each, after all.)

No matter how many jobs nuclear weapons actually support, they should not be used as a justification for having them.
    If Scotland votes for independence, then be assured those WMDs will be removed.
  • gm_xone
    gm_xone Posts: 285 Forumite
    Options
    I'm very happy for the Scottish to be independent, if they want that.

What I don't want is for anymore of England's money to go in their coffers.

I am furious that the Scottish think it ok to allow their own people to have free university education but not the English, especially when any Tom, !!!!!! or Harry from Europe can go to one of their uni's for absolutely nothing to pay at all. Is that right or fair? No it is not.

Hopefully this will also stop Scottish MP's in our English government making decisions that are good for them and bad for England. We have had enough of their terrible politicians, like Gordon Brown, who have been a nightmare. Bog off the lot of you IMO.

Free university education is a policy of the current Scottish government. If you want the same in England, then vote for a party who supports it.

FYI: there is no English government. Westminster serves the whole of the UK.
    Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland also all have devolved administrations (each with various limited powers) - England currently does not, but if you want England to have a parliament, then vote for a party who supports that.
    Furthermore; the SNP MPs at Westminster do not vote on English-only matters.
  • wiogs
    wiogs Posts: 2,744 Forumite
    Options
    It may be good for you, but for those in the Glasgow area, around 2 million, who live 30 miles away or less I would think would prefer it to be much much further away. Most of the nuclear warheads, at least 160, are based in Faslane.

As for jobs, BAE Systems didnt think so, they kept the workforce and skills at Glasgow and abandoned Portsmouth.

I have no problem with the nuclear subs being based at Faslane so make that around 2 million minus 1.
  • ibiza
    ibiza Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    hazelwoods wrote: »
    There are links to this poll from both pro and anti independence sites. I think the biggest effect of this is just that so many more people have voted. There is still a "balanced" share of yes and nos.

The biggest movement in this vote is due to people actually finding out the facts. Those are not available through the mainstream media as they are too scared to go against the government. Not all are as brave as Martin Lewis.

As people find the facts and listen to reasoned argument, not Better Together's fearmongering, they begin to realise that a YES vote is the only way for Scotland to take control of her own future. I don't know any country that has become independent and has then turned round and said "We shouldn't have done it. Can we come back please?"

When Better Together are asked for clarification of what NO would mean they are unable or unwilling to answer. Not because they don't know, but because their plans would have a terrible effect on Scotland's economy.

Don't be fooled. Westminster only has Westminster's interests at heart. And they are petrified that the people of Scotland are actually listening and thinking for themselves. As people find out the other side to Westminster's scare stories they are beginning to change their minds. We still have 9 months until the referendum and voters are beginning to take note.

Don't write the YES support off yet. There is still a long way to go.

YES will storm it as soon as everyone sees the real stats rather than the scaremongering.

Scotland subsidises the UK as it receives back far less than it gives, its also the EUs most oil rich nation, yet many south of the border dream they fund the Scottish people.

Then again, its hardly surprising with comics like the Daily Mail publishing the following junk in their English edition (strangely they never featured it in the Scottish rag).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2424713/Scots-MUST-vote-independence-Itll-save-rest-fortune-says-SIMON-HEFFER.html
  • wiogs
    Options
    ibiza wrote: »
    YES will storm it as soon as everyone sees the real stats rather than the scaremongering.

Scotland subsidises the UK as it receives back far less than it gives, its also the EUs most oil rich nation, yet many south of the border dream they fund the Scottish people.

Then again, its hardly surprising with comics like the Daily Mail publishing the following junk in their English edition (strangely they never featured it in the Scottish rag).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2424713/Scots-MUST-vote-independence-Itll-save-rest-fortune-says-SIMON-HEFFER.html

We shall see next year. ;)

I have to say that is a very funny article written by someone who obviously doesn't understand politics, democracy or even the make up of the UK

"In a true democracy we, too, would be allowed our say, with a vote of our own next September, since there are two of us in this particular marriage"
  • picardshair
    Options
    wiogs wrote: »
    I have no problem with the nuclear subs being based at Faslane so make that around 2 million minus 1.

Would have said the same thing if you were living in Fukushima 2-3 years ago?
  • ibiza
    Options
    ewenny wrote: »
    If they want it, let them have it and see them survive on their own.
    Only trouble is some daft institution like the EU would susidise them or bale them out and the rest of Uk might have to chip in!!

You fail to mention where you are domiciled, but as you refer to "independance" I presume you are a morris dancer.

Do you not feel a little slow thinking the EUs most oil rich nation is being funded by others, especially when it runs a trade surplus rather than deficit?

Scotland also has a lower percentage unemployed than the rest of the UK. Here are some figures for you, from your very own broadcasting company.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-24866266

Get someone to explain it to you.
  • wiogs
    Options

Did that have nuclear subs?

No it didn't.

And if there was a nuclear power plant at Faslane it wouldn't bother me either.

There is a nuclear power station less than forty miles away from me and Faslane is about the same distance.

I'll keep an eye on the weather though for the next tsunami warning on the Clyde. :D
  • ibiza
    Options

Anyone Scottish would have been well aware of a potential risk from anywhere called "FUK U Shima"! :rotfl:
  • Leanne1812
    Leanne1812 Posts: 1,688 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It may be good for you, but for those in the Glasgow area, around 2 million, who live 30 miles away or less I would think would prefer it to be much much further away. Most of the nuclear warheads, at least 160, are based in Faslane.

As for jobs, BAE Systems didnt think so, they kept the workforce and skills at Glasgow and abandoned Portsmouth.

I do live very close to Faslane and though jobs loss would be regrettable I want to see nuclear weapons gone from Scotland.

A close friend who's husband works at Faslane is voting yes as is her husband. They believe the future of our country is more important than his possible job loss.

There's nothing set in stone as far as jobs going as the scottish gov have said it will remain as a naval base.

Waiting for the doomsayers........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport