PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS Daily Thread - Monday 22nd December

Hi, this is the Daily Thread for Monday 22nd December. This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!
As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or slow internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred.
When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” type start does just as well.

Good morning everyone,

:hello: Taplady xx

Beethebee - HUGE ((HUGS)) to you and your family xxx

Purpleivy - Happy Birthday for yesterday xx

Had a bit of a lie in today - normally im up about 5.30, but seeing that i now have a week off, didnt get up til 7!!!

Not much planned for today - might have to take DS to the doctors, he spent yesterday lying down with a bad throat - think it might be tonsilitus - so if he is still bad this morning will make an emergency appt, dont want him ill over Christmas!

Apart from that, think its cleaning ready for the next few days - we are going to the cinema tomorrow (to see 4 Christmases, so hope its good) and then we always go to the Pantomime on Christmas Eve, it such a lovely way to start Christmas - so wont have much time for cleaning! I always go to Asda on Christmas Eve, to see if i can pick up any reduced items, so we have been having 'freezer surprise' most days for dinner, trying to make some room, just in case we do find some bargains!!

Well, i can hear someone moving, so better get on,
Hope everyone has a lovely day,
Take care xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Comments

• tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    musicnote.gif.jpg
    Have yourself a merry little Christmas,
    Let your heart be light
    From now on,
    Our troubles will be out of sight

Have yourself a merry little Christmas,
    Make the Yule-tide gay,
    From now on,
    Our troubles will be miles away.

In my calendar – a bear in a basket :santa2:
    A must-watch Christmas film – Fred Claus :D Hilarious, and it had one of my fave songs, Christmas Wrapping by The Waitresses (absolutely NOT the Spice Girls version :naughty::p )

I’m going to get all the ironing done today then do none for a week. I’ll still do washing – except on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day – if anyone wants to wear any of that before next Monday, then they’ll have to wear it creased :D

I’m going to bake cakes too, I’ll have to hide some til lets-go-to-the-tru’s-and-eat-and-drink-a-lot day, Christmas Eve.

We were woken up in the middle of the night by big bangs and breaking glass, we rushed to the window and there was a car on fire, just up the road. Our neighbour (not her car) was out there with her kids, probably seeing if anyone was hurt. Who in their right mind hears a noise like that at 4am and takes two 10-year-olds outside? Silly bint. We went to phone 999 but then saw 2 fire engines coming up the road. My neighbour on the other side always knows the news before it happens so I expect we’ll know the whole story by 8am :rotfl:
    Bulletproof
  • mrs_mix
    mrs_mix Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Morning Everyone
    :santa2: :santa2: :santa2: :santa2: :santa2: :santa2: :santa2: and (((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))) to all
    Beth ((((((((((hugs))))))))))))
    smokey(((((((((((hugs)))))))))

well I've been up a while dh has gone to work so I've stripped the bed and now thats in the machine but I still have lot's of washing to do so I may well have to resort to going to the launderette later just to get it all out of the way before christmas not very mse but need's must
    The kids have to tidy their bedrooms today so there will be more washing too
    the kitchen is going to get a good clean today as well including the cooker being pulled out:eek: :eek:
    and thats the only job's I have to do today but enough I think
    have a good day all
    pam xx
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you

I am one of the English sexy Shelias
    I'm also a hussy
  • halight
    halight Posts: 3,629 Forumite
    Morning all,

I hope that evryones ok?

Well i was going to be poping out yesterday to get a few things for christmas. but never got there.
    So thats on my list for today.

I really need to get a card for my wife of the twins too!!!!!!!
    This is really top of the list!!!!!!!!! I really must not for get this.
    iv got her a card of myself. but when i was in the shop i forgot all about the twins card for her.

In the end i roasted the brisket joint yesterday....very nice it ws too.
    And apart from having a bath and doing some reading that was it for yesterday!!! Not a lot done at all.

But a big push today!!!! lots to get done.
    more christmas stuff to put up
    more christmas stuff to get.
    house to tidy up.
    bills to pay.
    need to go to the bank to pay some money into the twins saving accounts.
    need to go to my own bank.

Oh well a mans work is never done:D

Anyway i hope that you all have a great day.:j
    Enjoy yourselfs:j
    :jYou can have everything you wont in lfe, If you only help enough other people to get what they wont.:j
  • halight
    halight Posts: 3,629 Forumite
    Tru,

Them little bits of songs that you have been posting have really brourt a smile to me the last few weeks.
    Not really had much to smile about but iv read them evryday and smiled just a bit.

Thanks........Keep up the good work..
    :jYou can have everything you wont in lfe, If you only help enough other people to get what they wont.:j
  • N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    Morning.

Later today, seem to be getting later each morning as my week of late shifts continues. Lots of death last night and very sad for some just before Christmas.
    I missed the Christmas Carol service too.
    Aldi provided some usefull fruit and veg yesterday, Satsumas for only 39p is great.
    Not much else going on. Work at 3pm, 2 more to go.
    Cheers
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • stefejb
    stefejb Posts: 1,725 Forumite
    Morning all

Last day at w*rk till the new year - yipee! I will pack tonight for CRISIS tomorrow - bought some lovely thermals from sportsworld yesterday which will aslo come in handy when camping season starts again.

I mentioned this on another board but dd(12) let slip that Mr Caring Sharing has paid £60 for a goose - of course that's up to him but seeing as how he's been to poor to raise maintenance to the level that the CSA say it should be ......

The MR T finest dine for £9 thingy we had last night was absolutely disgusting - neither me or dd(23) could finish it but I think she at least has a better appreciation for mum's homecooked grub

have a good day all
    I'm going to feed our children non-organic food and with the money saved take them to the zoo - half man half biscuit 2008
  • donny-gal
    donny-gal Posts: 4,654 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Morning All

((hugs)) Beth - personally I think there is nothing more OS than "neighbours" virtual or not being there for each other and that is what makes this an OS board not cooking and cleaning. I can remember my Mum emulsioning (or whitewashing as she called it) the kitchen ceiling of our elderly widow next door as she couldn't do it, and in those days there was not the money for decorators when you lived in a pit house. As for medical costs, they may not have done their homework well, as you cannot live there without one person being over 60 and getting health care free or taking out insurance, though in the bit we are until January everyone resident has been having free health care.

Got to go back to Tesco today for a dressing gown I got for GDNeice still has a security tag on, and it did not go off when I left:eek: . 20 mile round trip not a happy bunny.

Will catch the last couple of wash loads today, and tackle the little ironing pile so clear for Xmas. A few cards to deliver today, and to sort out a mirror for the new bedroom. Must check when the Aldi 3 bird joint needs to come out to thaw for Xmas. Tomorrow will go to the market for fresh stuff for Xmas.

Both DH and myself much better today so may get the energy going.

((((hugs))))) to all who are or who have relllies/friends under the weather or are just feeling energyless. Our friend goes in Xmas eve for his op if they still have a bed.

WC - If LB is a livewire the only thing you can do for now is to enjoy him and play with him, and get back to housework/cleaning when he is asleep, even if it means roping DH in.

Mrs_mix - think you need to show your kids how to use the washing machine, it will stand them in good stead for later on. My DS got educated around 13/14 and when he went to uni had no probelms.

Take care
    DG
    Member #8 of the SKI-ers Club
    Why is it I have less time now I am retired then when I worked?
  • Morning all
    I'm sat here in my sparkling study trying to decide whether to do the floordrobe next or shopping. I need to finish of the desk in here first, I think I'll just pop to the bank today as I have a couple of cheques to pay in & do the shopping tomorrow, most of it I can get from Mr T & I can go there straight after dropping hubby at the station, I'll be there by 7 & probably be home by 8.
    Hugs to Smokey, PP & Beth.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • Dazi
    Dazi Posts: 1,354 Forumite
    Morning everyone

Been up ages getting the place back to normal after our early christmas yesterday. (few pics on FB) Was a great day and am glad I had prepared and frozen a lot of it in advance as I was very tired from OH's work do the night before. I did have rather a lot of wine but no hangover thank goodness, just tired as we didn't get to bed till 2.
    Catching up on washing, don't know where it all comes from, there's only 2 of us here.

Started on the 2nd round now, few more presents to wrap and then get all the stuff ready to go in the car. Am working Christmas Eve morning, then when I finish, off down to Sussex.

Have lots of leftovers from yesterday so shouldn't have to cook anything this week :D.

Better get on, need to mop the kitchen floor, it has that horrible sticky feel to it. Then get ready for work.

Hugs for those who need one.

xxx
    whoever said laughter was the best medicine has clearly never tasted wine

Stopped smoking 20:30 28/09/11 :D
  • mioliere
    mioliere Posts: 6,838 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi everyone

(((Hugs))) to Bethebee and Smoky - thinking of you both and your families.

Re: LO - the hope is still that she will be home for Christmas, fingers crossed.

Well, sheets have been changed, ironing pile mounting up again; will do it all tomorrow then leave it for a few days.

My ex-boss has just texted to confirm me covering the emergency shifts at the dental surgery next Mon, Tues and Weds. Only 2 hour shifts so won't be too taxing but it gives the other staff members a longer Christmas break.

Still have a bit of wrapping up to do so I hope to get that finished today.

It's really mild today but don't think it's worth hanging the washing out.

Dinner is undecided today - will have a hunt in the freezer. It'll be just quick casual meals until Christmas day, I think.

Well, better get on and dry my hair.

Hope everyone has a good day and (((hugs))) for all those who are poorly. I hope you are all fighting fit for the big day!

KathyXX
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills