Recycling fur coats

Comments

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    The way, JCD, to refurbish fur is to put them in the freezer, for how long I don't know.
    That is the way The Royal Household do their carpets and curtains and furry things. Kills bugs and eggs and the fur comes out softer.
  • I found this link when I was looking at options for the disposal of a fur coat.
    http://www.peta.org.uk/newsnew/NewsItem.asp?id=3366
    PETA donate old fur coats to impoverished farm workers in South Africa and other places.
  • vl2588
    vl2588 Posts: 1,352 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    By the way modern fur coats certainly wouldn't be made from vermin etc. - they all come from fur farms(as far as I am aware, please correct me if you know different). This is more of an ethical issue than 'green' but I just thought I ought to point this out!

My (vegetarian) mum inherited two fur coats from her mum and she tried to sell them via a local leather shop and planned to send the proceeds to PETA or similar. Unfortunately we never heard from the shop again but it was a good idea in theory...
    Weight loss: Start weight: 80kg; Current Weight: 77kg; Target weight: 55kg
  • P__G
    P__G Posts: 228 Forumite
    I have just posted this site in resepct of another thread (and the company is nothing to do with me!!) but just in case you don;t read it, this might help you?

http://www.thefurcoatshop.co.uk/search.asp
  • theloft
    theloft Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    My wife has 2 fur coats and we have been pondering for years what to do with them. I understand there is a good market for them in Eastern Europe but how to sell them ? Charity shops not interested and local theatricals similar. Does anyone know if they sell at boot sales ?
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • the fur coats that are the charity shops sell on to the rag merchants are not sent to landfill.

also fur coats are not sent to the african farmers...

why dont you google or find out if there are any vintage clothes sellers in your area, as i am sure sure they would buy them all off you as long as they are in very good condition, obviously you will not get top wack for them, as they will be sold on.
    Work to live= not live to work
  • Poosmate
    Poosmate Posts: 3,126 Forumite
    Ken68 wrote: »
    The way, JCD, to refurbish fur is to put them in the freezer, for how long I don't know.
    That is the way The Royal Household do their carpets and curtains and furry things. Kills bugs and eggs and the fur comes out softer.

:eek: WHAT?! The Queen puts her corgis in the freezer?!! :eek:
    One of Mike's Mob, Street Found Money £1.66, Non Sealed Pot (5p,2p,1p)£6.82? (£0 banked), Online Opinions 5/50pts, Piggy points 15, Ipsos 3930pts (£25+), Valued Opinions £12.85, MutualPoints 1786, Slicethepie £0.12, Toluna 7870pts, DFD Computer says NO!
  • Ken68 wrote: »

it also kills the 'aroma' make sure you double or triple bag the coats, If you freezer isnt big enoug, you can leave them outside on a VERY frosty night
    Work to live= not live to work
  • Hapless wrote: »
    I don't see a problem with fur. Far more "green" than fake (as long as it's from a sustainable source not endangered speices etc). What better use for a skin from a rabbit shot for dinner than to save it up to make a fur coat? Grey Squirrel, Fox and Mink are classed as vermin in this country. Better to use the fur than just to throw it when the animals are disposed of (as vermin).
    If you are uncomfortable with fur then sell it or give them to a charity shop...or better still, put them in a box and send them to me!

I do because most of it is cat or dog fur from china where they are skinned alive...that your idea of fun is it? You should be ashamed of yourselves for saying that you don't have a problem with that!!
  • themull1
    themull1 Posts: 4,299 Forumite
    why not cut them up, sew them together and make a luxury fur throw.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure