Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Comments

• We had a flight to Cancun on 4th Nov 2012 which was hit by lightning,so it was cancelled.The replacement plane had a fault with the emergency door chute and was also cancelled.I filled out the relevant forms and Thomson are refusing compensation quoting exceptional circumstances,which for the first plane was fair enough,but not for the replacement...We had a 24 hour delay.....
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    We had a flight to Cancun on 4th Nov 2012 which was hit by lightning,so it was cancelled.The replacement plane had a fault with the emergency door chute and was also cancelled.I filled out the relevant forms and Thomson are refusing compensation quoting exceptional circumstances,which for the first plane was fair enough,but not for the replacement...We had a 24 hour delay.....

try posting on the Thomson thread
  • My flight to turkey from manchester airport was delayed by 5 hours, the airline was Onurair but i booked through Thomas Cook. I have tried to speak directly to the airline but due to it being Turkish i seem to be hitting a brick wall. Can i persue the delay claim through Thomas Cook as it was them who held the contract with the airline not myself and then leave them to chase up the money off Onurair, surely this is one of the benefits or booking a package holiday to take the hassle away if things go wrong???
  • Ich_2
    Ich_2 Posts: 1,087 Forumite
    Nope you have to deal with the airline
  • Elaine60
    Elaine60 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Does anyone know if I can claim compensation for a cancelled flight in 2007 from Thai International?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Elaine60 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if I can claim compensation for a cancelled flight in 2007 from Thai International?

there are a number of clues in the FAQs....if you read them you will probably get the answer

the main ones being...did the cancelled flight originate in the UK?
    what was the reason for the cancellation?
  • Elaine60
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    there are a number of clues in the FAQs....if you read them you will probably get the answer

Thank you. Yes, the flight was from LHR to BKK and was due to technical difficulties - I am trying to obtain copy docs from my travel agent and will definitely pursue. Thanks again. Elaine
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you. Yes, the flight was from LHR to BKK and was due to technical difficulties - I am trying to obtain copy docs from my travel agent and will definitely pursue. Thanks again. Elaine

Be aware Elaine that if the airline refuses to pay up, you can only threaten court action within 6 years of the flight concerned. When in 2007 did you fly?
  • Elaine60
    Caz3121 wrote: »

Vauban wrote: »
    Be aware Elaine that if the airline refuses to pay up, you can only threaten court action within 6 years of the flight concerned. When in 2007 did you fly?

I am just in time - flight was April 2007!
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I am just in time - flight was April 2007!

Not necessarily.

When in April? You will need to start court proceedings the day before the sixth anniversary of the flight, but you also need to give the airline reasonable notice before you start proceedings (14 days is regarded as the norm). This is the Notice Before Action letter, and will show a judge you have tried to settle this reasonably.

Have you been in touch with Thai Air yet?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback