Voting in the General election Vs Credit report

Hi everyone, I am hoping somebody might be help me out with a decision about voting and credit ratings. Some background: I am registered to vote at my dad's address in Hertfordshire (a comparatively affluent area, don't know if this makes a difference), which is where all my banking is registered to and has been for many years.

I recently moved to Nottingham with the plan of buying my first house, and for the last few months I have been renting a room and working a full time job up here. I still have a room at my dad's and consider it my primary residence for the moment - I plan to switch everything over once I manage to get a place of my own - but my Nottingham address is on my P60, so I do have some financial links to Nottingham.

I would rather vote in Nottingham in the general election because I live in a marginal seat and so my vote has a much bigger chance of actually mattering, where as in Hertfordshire I live in a safe seat so my vote will make very little difference. However, with the prospect of applying for my first mortgage in the next few months I really do not want to do anything that is going to negatively affect the way that lenders see me.

I guess my question is, if I register to vote in Nottingham, how much of a difference is it going to make when it comes to getting a mortgage?

Tonight is the last chance to register to vote so sorry about the time constraint. Thanks

Comments

• Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    pkphoto wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I am hoping somebody might be help me out with a decision about voting and credit ratings. Some background: I am registered to vote at my dad's address in Hertfordshire (a comparatively affluent area, don't know if this makes a difference), which is where all my banking is registered to and has been for many years.

I recently moved to Nottingham with the plan of buying my first house, and for the last few months I have been renting a room and working a full time job up here. I still have a room at my dad's and consider it my primary residence for the moment - I plan to switch everything over once I manage to get a place of my own - but my Nottingham address is on my P60, so I do have some financial links to Nottingham.

I would rather vote in Nottingham in the general election because I live in a marginal seat and so my vote has a much bigger chance of actually mattering, where as in Hertfordshire I live in a safe seat so my vote will make very little difference. However, with the prospect of applying for my first mortgage in the next few months I really do not want to do anything that is going to negatively affect the way that lenders see me.

I guess my question is, if I register to vote in Nottingham, how much of a difference is it going to make when it comes to getting a mortgage?

Tonight is the last chance to register to vote so sorry about the time constraint. Thanks

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/faq/voting-and-registration/i-have-two-homes.-can-i-register-to-vote-at-both-addresses
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It would be easier for you to vote in Nottingham, your planning on living there so why not have your vote make a difference.

No 1 but you can see your credit rating, just you can see it. Lenders etc see your credit history.
  • pkphoto
    pkphoto Posts: 4 Newbie
    Thanks, but although I know I can be registered to vote in two different places, my question is really whether this is going to harm my chances of getting a mortgage
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The effect of one house move would be marginal to the point of having zero impact. What is important is that you appear on the electoral roll somewhere: the mortgage lender will be able to link your records at the two addresses. However, once your present address is "on the record" try not to move again in a short space of time, since a pattern of frequent house moves may raise red flags among lenders.
  • DCFC79 wrote: »
    It would be easier for you to vote in Nottingham, your planning on living there so why not have your vote make a difference.

No 1 but you can see your credit rating, just you can see it. Lenders etc see your credit history.
    The effect of one house move would be marginal to the point of having zero impact. What is important is that you appear on the electoral roll somewhere: the mortgage lender will be able to link your records at the two addresses. However, once your present address is "on the record" try not to move again in a short space of time, since a pattern of frequent house moves may raise red flags among lenders.

Perfect, that's the information I was looking for, thank you.
  • Mega
    Mega Posts: 8 Forumite
    One small point; it can take time to a appear on a register for the first time. If you registered in time, will be on it by 8th June, if you are not in a rush leave applying for credit until then.

Can I add another, linked, question? If not I can post as a new question.

Some credit reports in my past say I am not registered when I am. The explanation offered was that I chose to stay off the the 'Open Register' and just be on the Electoral Register'!

MSE says quite categorically that not being on the Open Register does not affect my score because lending companies will always ask my permission to check the Electoral Register. OK, but if the agencies creating reports only use the Open Register surely their rating is useless? Which only use the Open? Does Experian? It would explain my abysmal score on this credit club if it's true.
  • Sounds like you're voting Labour. Very naive.
    :DLady G:eek::mad::rotfl:

Life is too short to be serious all of the time. So, if you can't laugh at yourself, call me - and I'll laugh at you!:money::money:
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Mega wrote: »
    One small point; it can take time to a appear on a register for the first time. If you registered in time, will be on it by 8th June, if you are not in a rush leave applying for credit until then.

Can I add another, linked, question? If not I can post as a new question.

Some credit reports in my past say I am not registered when I am. The explanation offered was that I chose to stay off the the 'Open Register' and just be on the Electoral Register'!

MSE says quite categorically that not being on the Open Register does not affect my score because lending companies will always ask my permission to check the Electoral Register. OK, but if the agencies creating reports only use the Open Register surely their rating is useless? Which only use the Open? Does Experian? It would explain my abysmal score on this credit club if it's true.

I have only checked Experian and Call Credit (not Equifax)

I'm not listed on the edited register but it does show on both Experian and Call Credit that I am registered at my home address.
    Sounds like you're voting Labour. Very naive.

That's noone's business but the OPs :)
    💙💛 💔
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family