PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Oh goody, goody Fuddle. Are you really going to be using your tablet again?

It was such fun the first time you used it, I've seldom laughed so much.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Many, many thanks for your kind comments earlier. They helped a lot as mostly these days I just feel very dull and boring :)
    Pleased to say that dog, after many vets visits (good job we are preppers and have emergency vets savings account), has recovered again from IBS and is regaining weight. Dogs react badly to stress (I didn't know this when we adopted him, quite a learning curve) and it has been a little difficult and stressful here recently.
    MrC dislocated his shoulder again a few weeks ago, and this time there is residual nerve damage so I've been rushing round like a woman possessed trying to plant the allotments, see to the bees, care for MrC and gallop back round our estate with buckets of hot water and disinfectant after walking the poor dog (that's quite enough detail I think).
    BUT I'm so grateful for being a prepper, because for the past four weeks we've lived on produce from the plot, the contents of our freezer and pantry and I've only needed to shop twice. (Fresh fruit , potatoes and cheese) All of the stored food has been a huge asset, and really helped me survive this relatively small domestic disaster. It's also made me appreciate the real sense of being as prepared as possible, not so much for global catastrophes, but for the daily obstacles life tries to trip us up with.
    And reading this thread, especially over the past days, has made me realise that I'm not alone in trying to deal with some of the restrictions that growing older, and unexpected illness and accidents can suddenly impose. It's also made me appreciate the real value of being prepared for unexpected disasters (vet fund and well stocked cupboards have been invaluable).
    So many , many thanks to all of you, this thread has been a real inspiration to me recently.
    Off now to walk the poor dog. Fingers crossed that life can now begin to return for what passes for normality here:)
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Aww Cappella, so glad your dog is much better! Poor Mr C though. Wishing him well. Sounds as if you've been rushed off your feet! especially with the hot water and disinfectant thing, not fun at all xx
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    One of the scouts Kims game kits consists almost entirely of flammables. They look so bemused at a a bent nail, a lump of flint & a tube of lip balm, let alone the other stuff, it's great fun.
    Mind, the handful of dryer fluff needs replacing - a shrewd explorer scout took "just a pinch" to get his campfire off to a solid start & thus another bathtowel wash is indicated as his pals realised & came & emptied the tub! Their leader should have made them turn out their trouser pockets & inspect the seams...
    However, I confess I rather blench at "what do they keep in their pocketses", let alone finding out just how flammable is a c*ndom, so although there is one in the Kim's game kit, we do encourage young minds to realise inflammable! as well as other uses.

All strength Capella! And well done keeping on doing so much where a lesser woman would have deliberately dropped several of the balls...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Back to my outdoor prepping, so its raining, so what? It is going to rain all day,36 semperviviums arrived this morning and I can`t keep them hanging around, they are very nice plugs again from ebay. I prepped the 4 large containers the other day, in the hot sun and they are mostly gravel at the bottom, then grit with sand and a bit of john innes. I just put a layer of grit on top and using a gloved finger, poked a hole for each plug. That was all I had to do, now to wait. I made several of these pots two years ago, when I had just started garden future prep because watering this dry sun trap is awful, all water is stored water and much has to be carried up steps. Looking at the 2 year old pots, honestly they are so attractive and so easy care. No-one would think that they can be ignored wrt care, as long as they have very gritty poor soil, they thrive

I am also prepping for myself, ie my body and have been on a cycle ride, up a few hilly sections. I can`t believe how well my body performs doing this as I am no lightweight for my height. I always come back happy. I won`t be ignoring the elastic that adds strength to my arm muscles and the pilates ring that I squeeze a few times, arms and knees. None of it is onerous, strength will vanish fast, if I let it
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Cappella, you keep bees? I'd love it if you'd post about what you're actually doing week to week with them.

Not during your present emergencies, of course! Sounds like you have a tremendous amount on your plate - and yep, this is the kind of reality that prepping is really for, and you're doing brilliantly at all of it!

I can't wait to get home - just got to let the dishwasher finish doing its thing, and I'm off :j
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • With all the NHS computer problems, I'm a little jumpy at the moment. Just watching the 1 o'clock news and Freesat has gone down? All channels lost from the 'Guide' too?
    Any ideas?
    Lilli
    :j[DFW Nerd club #1142 Proud to be dealing with my debt:TDMP start date April 2012. Amount £21862:eek:April 2013 = £20414:T April 2014 = £11000 :TApril 2015 = £9500 :T April 2016 = £7200:T
    DECEMBER 2016 - Due to moving house/down-sizing NO MORTGAGE; NO OVERDRAFT; NO DEBTS; NO CREDIT CARDS; NO STORE-CARDS; NO LOANS = FREEDOM:j:j:beer::j:j:T:T
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    With all the NHS computer problems, I'm a little jumpy at the moment. Just watching the 1 o'clock news and Freesat has gone down? All channels lost from the 'Guide' too?
    Any ideas?
    Lilli

I used to get this on Sky during heavy rain.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :j:j:j Well, the pooters may be in peril but me archery is coming on in leaps and bounds. Four golds (two tens and two nines) in one end and one of the tens was on the cross-hairs.

Twang! Just bring on the zombies, I'm ready for 'em. :rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    That's brilliant shooting Greyqueen Well done that woman! What's your draw? I'm glad you're on our side :)

Karmacat, Ivyleaf and digforvictory - thank you, but I'm not really superwoman :ob it's a good job you can't see the state of my house after the past four weeks :rotfl: MrC had already prepared all of the beds on the plot, and put the potatoes in, so mostly I just watered,hoed, raked and sowed beans, chards, spinach, peas, beetroot, and more salad crops. It wasn't too bad really, just took a lot of time. We have a strimmer so the grass paths are fairly easy to keep under control, and a little mantis tiller which makes things much less strenuous. The sweet corn is going in today and then we're almost planted up.
    As Kittie said, it's all good strength developing exercise and that's a huge bonus at my age.

Karmacat - this time of year the bees just need to be checked every week and any multiple queen cells need to be knocked down to prevent swarming. its just a question of checking the brood frames really. One hive had just one queen cell in the middle of worker bee brood, and MrC told me to leave it, as he thinks the workers are feeding her to replace the existing old queen. Regicide in the hive then when she hatches, very Shakespearean! We have 8 hives, its MrCs passion rather than mine but I'm learning very fast and fortunately don't react to bee stings though I don't have Granny Wetherwaxes talent with the bees :)

Lilibet - it happens here with Sky in very bad weather but our freesat is ok at the moment, could be your box?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure