Uni Minister Jo Johnson says NO to my letter asking 'please be honest & ...

2»

Comments

• The OP (Paul) makes an excellent point, and I agree totaly being a taxpayer with no kids. The government should perhaps publish a table that states what % of the max a student will get for each band of income the parents fall in and it should be the joint income of both parents , divorced or not, that is taken into account. This table should also have a % increase for the most needed subjects such as the sciences or engineering which can be reviewed on a yearly basis to encourage people not to do the useless subjects that seem to be rife at the moment. On a slightly different note I would like to know why the UK taxpayer funds free Uni places in Scotland, this should be stopped with immidiate effect.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Well Jo is obviously a better politician than his brother. He has managed to produce a very long letter without actually saying anything. I, and I am sure most people, can see no reason why students and their parents cannot be told the expected parental contribution. Well except, of course, for the fact that some might look at the figure and say something along the lines of you have to be kidding - go out & get a job. Nothing quite like a touch of transparency is there! He probably also knows that their contribution will in fact need to be much higher.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    badmemory wrote: »
    I, and I am sure most people, can see no reason why students and their parents cannot be told the expected parental contribution.

There is no expected parental contribution, only a fine for having rich parents. If you don't make a big deal about the fine then everyone is happy.

We live in a post truth world, I wouldn't expect them to offer up some actual truth when there is no real demand for it as it might shock people into expecting it in the future.
  • BobbinAlong
    BobbinAlong Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 1 December 2016 at 8:52AM
    My daughter lived with my high earning ex and so only received the minimum allowance in the first year. Instead of finding out how the system worked (doing that would be beneath him as he thinks he knows everything!) and giving her the additional money she desperately needed, he paid her tuition fees for the year. Despite part time jobs she ended the year owing much of her accommodation fee and has only managed to pay off that debt two years after finishing uni.
    Her brother started uni around the same time but was living with me as a single parent, very average wage earner and got the full allowance and managed well from day 1. Both went to smaller town universities well away from London.
    I have always said that students should be given the full allowance and the difference recouped in taxation, either on both parents or as a graduate tax or just added to the normal student loan repayments though many will never pay especially if they work abroad.
  • Lingua
    Lingua Posts: 208 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    My daughter lived with my high earning ex and so only received the minimum allowance in the first year. Instead of finding out how the system worked (doing that would be beneath him as he thinks he knows everything!) and giving her the additional money she desperately needed, he paid her tuition fees for the year. Despite part time jobs she ended the year owing much of her accommodation fee and has only managed to pay off that debt two years after finishing uni.
    Her brother started uni around the same time but was living with me as a single parent, very average wage earner and got the full allowance and managed well from day 1. Both went to smaller town universities well away from London.
    I have always said that students should be given the full allowance and the difference recouped in taxation, either on both parents or as a graduate tax or just added to the normal student loan repayments though many will never pay especially if they work abroad.

If you and your children's father are divorced, your daughter could have used your information on her application. It's a shame that her father didn't make more of an effort, as despite saving her some debt in the long run it's not a good situation to be in short-term!

Living abroad does not affect student loan repayments; you have to repay 9% of anything over 21k earned, here or in another country. You'd be surprised how dogged the government will be in trying to recoup the loan money. Makes a change from their attitude to the super-rich and large corporations ...

I do wonder if giving everyone the same amount regardless of parental income would be a better system. Yes, those with high-earning parents would be better off on average, but equally university should give everyone equal opportunity to earn the same wage, e.g. I should be able to apply for that 50k/yr job just as much as someone from a more affluent background.

Besides that, MSE calculations showed that low earners pay back more on their student loans than higher earners due to the interest the loan accrues and the rate at which they pay back the loan. A problem that continues to exist is that we don't live in an ideal world and that students from more affluent backgrounds will still go on to earn more than their less affluent counterparts. Perhaps a graduate tax would indeed be more effective (set % of income over 21k + inflation for life).

i.e. instead of paying back 9% of income over 21k until the loan is paid off or 30 years has elapsed, have them pay a lower percentage but for a longer period of time (regardless of how much loan was taken, or if one was taken at all). That way, low-earning graduates aren't being financially penalised compared to those who can afford to pay off their student loans quickly, or who have the benefit of rich parents who can finance most of their costs of university.

Just some stray ideas!

Lingua
    Long-Term Goal: £23'000 / £40'000 mortgage downpayment (2020)
  • shyestgirl
    shyestgirl Posts: 46 Forumite
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    I understand your point. And indeed I agree in tax transparency, I think we need people to understand that nothing is "free" its just a question of who pays the individual or the taxpayer.

Yet I think that is a very differnet point to the direct transparency of telling people how much they need to give their children. Mine is an issue of communication of policy, yours is one of policy itself.

Am I able to get in contact with you by PM, as a matter of urgency?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure