santas Challenge 2016... Gifts, chat, challenges

Comments

• mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    thank you xxxx

Without sounding daft it went really well, it was a true celebration.

The man doing the service, anyone would have thought that he had met dad / knew him well, he managed to sum dad up from birth to death, even added in some quips, the one - He loved travelling, he always went to Manchester Airport but never got further than the car-park...
    Then he made a joke about Miss Hoodie - (I set an email address for when she had club penguin - now I use it as a spare ) (hername ...xxxlovesmoney, she smiled he said I'm thinking of changing mone to Philwantsmoney...

The wake ...
    the food was amazing, they put a cover over pool table - every inch was filled, there was about 50 people at the funeral, about 30 at the wake.

The best....
    My Uncle has dementia - he can remember everything from the past, but new stuff, about a 10 min slot - one of the ladies at the funeral use to live next door to my nan (thou she passed 28 yrs ago), he was talking to her, she put her around him, (shes in her late 70s....) my Aunt pushes into her shoulder - saying leave my husband alone . if he doesn't come now he will have to find his own way home...

I didnt find this out to after!

It wouldnt be a family party unless something happened...

Past history..

There wedding dad went missing - he was later found snogging the bridesmaid in the cupboard ...

My 18th - big family argument - one of my friends worked for a hairdresser, - who was having an affair with a married man, he use to take her out big posh dinners / buying her gifts and flowers... My friend recognised my Uncle - came and said how do u know him, thats the boyfriend of my boss... Thats my uncle - who reckons hes skint...

Mum and Dads Ruby wedding - mum locked herself in the toilet....at one stage they offered to serve her meal in the toilet...

Mums 60th.... She got as far as the pub doorway - saw half the family - refused to come in... Had 30 people for Sunday lunch / bday - without the guest of honour.

We didnt bother with mums 70th celebrations. xxx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,539 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Glad it went well
    Loved the story of the celebrations- if its a party then there must be a 'drama' in your family! Sounds a bit like a milder script forEastenders

Got home last Thursday from Ireland.
    Jobs: phone hospital for operation date immediately
    then book dogs into kennels
    (also managed to cheer myself and booked a cruise for 33 nights Oct 2017 since wings clipped for this year.)
    Given date of July 2nd so time to worry but get organised in that I am going to have to live downstairs for at least 2 weeks as I have utterly treacherous stairs, no way with crutches.....
    I am trying really hard to lose weight/ keep fit despite restricted walking so I am swimming pretty much every weekday aiming for 2+miles per week. Weds am just too tired to get myself up , out and in the pool by 8.30am. Dozing, thinking "Must get up- it's 9am!" Phones rings, it's the hospital.
    Q: Been travelling haven't you
    A: Yes
    Q: Did you fly?
    A: No.
    Fine, operation brought forward. We need you at clinic this morning!
    A: But that's 9.45 and I'm not even dressed!
    Please be here by 10am

So.... almost the fastest ever I have got dressed, fed dogs, walked dogs ,driven to hospital and fed the parking machine (with car reg too!) Almost fell in the clinic door with one minute to spare!!
    (The very fastest I've dressed is in the middle of night in Bulgaria when alarm failed to go off and we were meant to be waiting for flight at some ungodly hour!!!!)
    Must be fate because normally I would have been at the pool so no way to contact me.

Operation date is now brought forward by 4 weeks to June 7th.
    Dogs booked in for a new date!

Time to get my brain in gear.
    So far I have attacked 2 jobs that have been looming for months- change the water filter- means crawling under sink, and change/clean the cooker hood. A horrid job, but done!

When in Ireland got some great prezzies and also things for shoeboxes thanks to Mr T and Primark- trouble is nowhere to store them.
    Oh, for a minimalist house: that will NEVER happen.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggyduvets,26 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=160 £86 spent!!!
  • I'll take a look at this month's challenges soon. So far am in full on beating mode. I've cleaned out so much junk it's amazing. I usually love tidying and organising, but even more so now. Getting the gardens done, but can only manage small bits at a time and not meant to be digging or lifting or anything heavy.
    Managed to sort out 8 huge bags of clothes and 3 bags of shoes for the charity shops, and still a wardrobe to go through! Got some shelves up in the bedroom for a bit more storage room and bookshelves in a different bedroom. Feel like I'm getting somewhere.

I've given in my papers for maternity leave. So I get my year away from there. Amazing! But getting a little longer as my husband is in hospital in mid July for quite a big op and I'll have to have a few weeks looking after him while he's recouperating, that's a few weeks before I'm due. So he will hopefully be back on his feet in time.

I've stocked up on wool, craft bits and bobs and even supplies to have a bash at soap and lip balm making. Wanted to try it for ages. And seeing as I'll have plenty time at home before this little one comes along, I figured it was a good time to try.
    I also seek to have bought so much more shopping than usual. Stockpiling so when it's not as easy to get out to the shops there is plenty in.
    Book a week challenge: 11/52. Competitions won in 2021: 12
  • Ooh Katiehound, very nice. Long cruise. Who with and where? This is the first year in ages we hadn't done one. Had a normal fly and stay in Hawaii instead. I'm torturing myself. I keep seeing some great cruises with Princess or Celebrity for next year, but it's just not possible! I have withdrawal symptoms.
  • Katiehound
    edited 27 May 2016 at 3:58PM
    Ooh Katiehound, very nice. Long cruise. Who with and where? This is the first year in ages we hadn't done one. Had a normal fly and stay in Hawaii instead. I'm torturing myself. I keep seeing some great cruises with Princess or Celebrity for next year, but it's just not possible! I have withdrawal symptoms.

Fred.Olsen- appeals to the older generation!! smaller real ships and lovely lovely crew!

Thought about cruise to islands of Indian Ocean (first cruise of this sold out in 10 hours apparently) but 2 long haul flights and expensive for single.

Then spotted another cruise-Oct 2017- the one where ship sails out to be based in Indian Ocean, so ex Liverpool thro Med, Suez canal and into Indian Ocean but only for few days. However 19 days longer than one above and turns out to be £2 cheaper!! I can pysche myself up to do just one long haul (back to Man) and that will be after a holiday.
    I always take frequent flyer nasal spray because that seems to help keep recycled bugs in air con at bay!

Yes this was a treat to overcome operation fever! (and to make up for the cruise to Caribbean that I cancelled for this year and which was just too too expensive to transfer to 2017- about double the cost of one above! Don't plan to buy part of ship!)
    Many thanks
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggyduvets,26 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=160 £86 spent!!!
  • Making a start on challenges for the month. Have to confess, when it comes to cars i'm clueless, husband isn't much better. I wouldn't have the foggiest where to put water, oil, screenwash or anything else in! It gets done when it goes in for its service and that's about all. Maybe my challenge should be to learn!

First aid kits i'm always very on top of. I'm the first aid-er for my work, so have a very well stocked cabinet and a little car kit too. I go to body care once a month for a re-stock on tablets and always make sure that bandages/plasters etc.. are in date. Before becoming a first aider and doing all the courses, i didn't know that bandages and plasters could go out of date! I can recommend the little individual packet sterile wipes. Always really handy to have in, as well as the saline eye wash tubes.

Chocolate.. Trying to be very good at the moment as i'm having so much of it and the eating for two excuse is wearing thin, but i have found a few recipes i want to try. I'm using bits and pieces from the garden at the moment in recipes i found on pinterest, so when i pick my redcurrants they're going in a redcurrant clafoutis(never heard of one before!), my gooseberries will go in gooseberry lemonade, rhubarb in a crumble and i have loads of lavender i dried last November and am still using. I made honey and lavender cookies, very nice. But also saw a lavender hot chocolate. So might try that for the chocolate part of the challenge.

And i'm making a start on the christmas food cupboard, not in the challenges, but i was in a slightly festive mood for no reason. Got two boxes of chocolates and a tin of biscuits on offer today, good til next summer. So thought i'd make a start. I'll be looking out for all my usual chutneys and olives and other long life items soon too. If i can get three things a week every week it'll make things a lot cheaper and easier at the time.

Hope everyone's ok and had a nice sunny day.
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Hope all are well.
    It's half term here but I'm full of cold so don't feel like doing much, I've bought some plants at the boot this morning so hoping to get them in later and will do some knitting as I have hedgehogs to finish.

Have an enjoyable bank holiday all.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    Katiehound - Wow, thats brill news about the knee op being brought forward and doubly wow to the cruise, sounds absolutely amazing.

Crazy-cat-lady - Wow to the clearout, bet the charity shop was pleased to see you coming, hope your taking it easy and resting inbetween all these tidy out spells.

Mother-hen mo - you should get hubby to check the cars, know with mine dad use to do the oil etc monthly, rarely needed oil - tip thou - dont do want my friend did (many yrs ago), tried to put the oil down the dipstick hole, she even went and brought an eye dropper to use... generally oil wont need much of a top up, screenwash and radiator - check monthly... but once a yr service they do all the oil and the rest.

Thank you for the tip re single wipes, need to top up first aid kit, get a few bits ready for travelling, Morrocco Next...

Gooseberries - I love them in crumbles, pie even jam, my mouth watering already.

A memory came back -when typing about the cars, many yrs ago (about 19), my 2nd car was a Morris Marina.... out once with dad, had a flat tyre.. so there was an excuse to teach me to change a tyre... I was wearing a white skirt... not gd idea... the amount of other drivers that were purping there horn, telling dad he should be changing it, even had couple of offers to do it for me... that was the 1st and last time changed a tyre... wouldnt have a cat in hecks chance now.

Hope everyone is having a good bank hol weekend, the weather seems to be holding well, quiet one at home, Miss Hoodie did the lawns, plan is to take a little jolly out 2mor xxx
  • Katiehound
    Still trying to get my head around the knee op- now a week today.
    An older friend said today wasn't I going into a nursing home after ???!! that's because my stairs are very very steep and narrow. No, my plan is to live downstairs for 3 weeks and cadge showers from willing neighbours who have down stair walk in showers (diminishing offers!!) My drop end settee turns into a bed and I have a downstairs loo.

Today loaded the car with duvets between the showers- well over 20. Meeting a contact tomorrow in Grimsby (met her when she was fundraising at car boot 10 days ago) and she is taking them for holding kennels here and for kennels for street dogs in Romania. She is thrilled and we are pleased that they are a) not going to landfil and b) have a worthy home. Looks as if there's at least another 50? duvets left in the garage!

Great bargains at car boot last w/e: 3x D duvet covers, 2xS duvet covers, 2 x S sheets, 3 x p/cases, 1 pr full width mid length poly cotton curtains. The lot? £1.20. This past sunday S duvet covers @ 50 pence each. Stocking up for the non driving summer.
    I also got a load of books, one of the last stalls was packing up- all books 10pence- my kind of price! I think one of the titles was RRP £20 - nice pressie.

Trying to get items out of the house that can go, a friend's birthday late July- her present wrapped and delivered- cost me £8.10, full price £40+$35!! I really love the challenge....... if she doesn't like anything then it can be moved on, that's the rule.
    Hope to get some duvets sewn and delivered to village PO but I really need to attack the house- hate doing that- I like to create, including creating mess!!!
    2 big bags of shoebox goodies now and 1 big bag of Christmas / birthday presents sorted- to store!
    After some lunch start attacking more paperwork to be shredded , filed or binned!

Re car. My garage is really lady driver/ owner friendly. They service and MOT my car and fix any problem too. I just pop in when I am going on a long journey and ask them to check it all, every-so-often i then appear with a large box of biscuits or 8 x beers.
    I did learn to change a tyre, wrenched my wrist badly and had to have an operation! so not going there. (That was my first car, Renault 10 when I was ? 23?)
    Many thanks

• mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    Katiehound - That is brilliant news about the new contact and all the bargains at the carboot.

We've got some more towels and duvet covers and sheets, there be winging there way to the doggie home.

My first car was 17, (early 18th bday present), pale blue... Vauxhall Chevette Hatchback, old R reg.... Nicknamed the pig, we brought it off one of mums friends, she had called it the pig - name stuck.

Had a good day. Miss Hoodie came with me to see a friend, about an hr away, had dinner local Hungry Horse, it was a nice catch up..

SO weird on the way home, the car started playing up - it was as thou the engine was losing power (mind starts working overtime...)missed out turning - help were lost, (sat nav to the rescue), whilst its recalculating... saw a signpost for icecream farm... quick turn around in layby. It was lush, I had a double (thou when Miss Hoodie said she would treat me, I said a single...no she got me a double) - I had toffee crumble, and maple and walnut. Def 10/10.

The flavours were amazing, over 30 to choose from. worked out where we were, then en-route kept seeing Audlem signposted... I almost felt it was a sign from dad, car hadnt played up been on right route, as Audlem - theres a beautiful pub (Shropee Fly),( we went for my bday, I was driving and we got lost... ) was the last place we went for a meal.

Digressing again...

The funeral directors rang, we had £191.90 in donations, there taking the half to the Hospice (not ready to go there) picking up a cheque for other half - going to the local doggie home....

xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family