MSE News: Sky takes over O2 and Be broadband: What does this mean for customers?

Comments

• Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Quentin wrote: »
    The. O2 router will continue to work when you switch bb only to sky.

Providing a new one just seems another bribe they have the discretion of adding to the deal to persuade us to migrate early.

Did they specifically tell you that you could use a non-Sky router?

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband-Talk-Orders/Can-i-use-my-own-router-or-not/td-p/1339613
    Stompa
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Stompa wrote: »
    Did they specifically tell you that you could use a non-Sky router?

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband-Talk-Orders/Can-i-use-my-own-router-or-not/td-p/1339613

Yes .

If you simply migrate they don't give you a router. The 02 one works.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yes .

If you simply migrate they don't give you a router. The 02 one works.
    Thanks, a quick Google does indeed find:

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband-Setup-Connection-WiFi/Moving-from-O2-to-Sky-Broadband-using-a-router-that-wasn-t/ta-p/1470481
    Stompa
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    The. O2 router will continue to work when you switch bb only to sky.

Providing a new one just seems another bribe they have the discretion of adding to the deal to persuade us to migrate early.

Yes - true really.

However my main point to hubb ( although probably didn't make it clear ) is that as he/she is also taking Line Rental with Sky, a new router would be required as the O2 router will not work in this case as far as I'm aware.
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    jem16 wrote: »
    Yes - true really.

However my main point to hubb ( although probably didn't make it clear ) is that as he/she is also taking Line Rental with Sky, a new router would be required as the O2 router will not work in this case as far as I'm aware.

Not sure why you would think that as it is simply not true and hubb is already confused enough!

Sky have taken steps to ensure that O2/BE routers will automatically authenticate on their RADIUS servers. Why would Sky do this if only Sky routers could be used on their network?

The last customers to be migrated over to the Sky network will be customers who currently have a fixed IP address. Sky are currently working on this but it may be a while off yet, they will also be doing self install FTTC.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    espresso wrote: »
    Not sure why you would think that as it is simply not true and hubb is already confused enough!

Sky have taken steps to ensure that O2/BE routers will automatically authenticate on their RADIUS servers. Why would Sky do this if only Sky routers could be used on their network?

As far as I'm aware, Sky has 2 networks at present - SMPF and MPF.

Those choosing to have BB only will be put on the SMPF network and this will allow them to use their O2 router. Some who choose to move earlier than their migration date and have brokered a 12 months deal, are being sent new Sky hubs although their O2 router would still work as they are being placed on the SMPF network.

Those who choose to have both Sky Line Rental ( as hubb is ) will be moved to the MPF network which, at present, will only allow the Sky Hub to be used. There is of course a workaround for this if you want to obtain the appropriate info for you to use your own router.

Are you saying that there has been a change to this for those taking both Sky Line Rental and BB?
  • A friend has just swapped from BT line rental + O2 broadband to Sky for both and says the O2 router still works ie gives internet access, even though the internet light is red. Does that make sense?
  • nickbeee
    nickbeee Posts: 66 Forumite
    edited 21 November 2013 at 11:01PM
    anactuary wrote: »
    A friend has just swapped from BT line rental + O2 broadband to Sky for both and says the O2 router still works ie gives internet access, even though the internet light is red. Does that make sense?

I read elsewhere this evening that Sky(?) had initiated a firmware update that (amongst other things) reset users' custom configurations. I'm speculating that part of that update could be to load Sky settings so the box works when it's connected to Sky's broadband service.

As I don't use my O2 box :p I can't verify this.
    Just broke, even.
  • nickbeee wrote: »
    I read elsewhere this evening that Sky(?) had initiated a firmware update that (amongst other things) reset users' custom configurations. I'm speculating that part of that update could be to load Sky settings so the box works when it's connected to Sky's broadband service.

As I don't use my O2 box :p I can't verify this.

The link given in post 546 gives a username but no password whereas I understood when you use Wireshark you obtain a username and password from the Sky router. I guess that means if you use install@o2broadband.co.uk as the user, you don't need a password?
  • anactuary wrote: »
    The link given in post 546 gives a username but no password whereas I understood when you use Wireshark you obtain a username and password from the Sky router. I guess that means if you use [EMAIL="install@o2broadband.co.uk"]install@o2broadband.co.uk[/EMAIL] as the user, you don't need a password?

That's the way I read it. It just looks like a generic username (as opposed to an individual uername/passowrd). I'm not going to Sky though so I can't test it personally.
    Just broke, even.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport