removing excess phone sockets - who can do that?

Options

Comments

• I removed mine by snipping the cables, and plastering over the holes. I did this thirteen years ago and still have no problem!
  • decbel
    decbel Posts: 2,804 Forumite
    Options
    I'll be careful of that - thanks! Wasn't going to dare removing anything unless I know exactly what it is...

I wondered if that red wire is connecting the living room socket to the kitchen socket? The kitchen socket still works even though I took out the right hand junction box from above front door and I can't figure out how it is connected to the main line...

I agree with previous posters on that red wire. Be careful.

You might have had a re-wire at some time. Some times electricians leave the old cables in situ and bury them. Seen that in my previous house but the wire was dead. But be careful. Its easy to forget and make a mistake.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 September 2017 at 2:55PM
    Options
    I would have serious concerns about the rest of the house if someone has wired what is clearly telephone cable to the mains and then connected it to a telephone socket. I believe that, as the op has suggested, it could well be the link to the still working kitchen phone. No danger of 240v.;)
  • Robertsutton1978
    Options
    I did the same job as you a couple of weeks ago. I disconnected the old extensions and fitted a new master socket.

I found the videos on this site very useful. I can't post the link but do an internet search for the website
    mymatevince

I doubt you'd have a 240v wire going to a phone socket, there's no need for it. If it's the same diameter wiring as the other 2 wires it's most likely for the ringer signal.
    Hope this helps
    Rob
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'll be careful of that - thanks! Wasn't going to dare removing anything unless I know exactly what it is...

I wondered if that red wire is connecting the living room socket to the kitchen socket? The kitchen socket still works even though I took out the right hand junction box from above front door and I can't figure out how it is connected to the main line...
    Yeah, sorry but when I first looked at the picture it looked like it continued on through the bottom of the metal back box without interruption. I can see now that it is connected to the phone socket and (presumably) connected to the kitchen.
  • wallofbeans
    Options
    Yeah, sorry but when I first looked at the picture it looked like it continued on through the bottom of the metal back box without interruption. I can see now that it is connected to the phone socket and (presumably) connected to the kitchen.

It seems that way. The living room socket and kitchen socket are the only two that fitted inside a hole in the wall, and the only two that I can't see the wires tacked along the skirting board and into the box.

I don't get why the master is this crappy little box hanging off the wall and these other two are professionally done, wires inside the wall etc. I can see the upstairs sockets were added later, but it almost feels like the master was added later (and badly) too...

Very confusing.. but I think I'm getting there!
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 11 September 2017 at 6:43PM
    Options
    I think decbel gave good advice: look up local telcoms fitters in the local paper/website. They usually advertise as "Ex-BT". That's what I did when faced with similar problems in a previous home. 14 years ago, but charged me just £30 cash.

If the first one takes a look and gets evasive, wait for one who doesn't. Get a quote, for cash.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • wallofbeans
    Options
    So new master socket arrived. Instructions confusing me a little. I thought the blue/white and white/blue go into the A and B terminals but this says VDSL2 does...

I'm assuming it's talking about a different connection than I have and I can just go with what I already have.. but wanted to ask before I got started...

https://imgur.com/a/y3t8W
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 September 2017 at 2:58PM
    Options
    So new master socket arrived. Instructions confusing me a little. I thought the blue/white and white/blue go into the A and B terminals but this says VDSL2 does...

I'm assuming it's talking about a different connection than I have and I can just go with what I already have.. but wanted to ask before I got started...

https://imgur.com/a/y3t8W

Just use 2 & 5 as it says, you should be able to ignore the others unless you've got a 50 year old telephone with a mechanical bell on top ;)

Edit: Use A & B
  • wallofbeans
    Options
    Just use 2 & 5 as it says, you should be able to ignore the others unless you've got a 50 year old telephone with a mechanical bell on top ;)

But I've got to put something in A and B surely?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure