Curry's Laptop Advice

Options

Comments

• grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    NineDeuce wrote: »
    However, through my employer, Microsoft have offered me the software for £10, so the interest is back on.
    If your budget is still around £250 try this
    http://www.ebuyer.com/786174-hp-255-g5-laptop-1tt38es-1tt38es-abu
    £220 but needs Windows 10 - perhaps you can get a cheap license through your employer?
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Le_Kirk wrote: »
    Your employer offers an ability to buy Office at £10 but you are self-employed????

Are you sure that the version of Office you will be getting for £10 includes Access?

Good spot re. self employed. :)

OP will be referring to the Home Use Program ... this offers Office Professional Plus 2016 (which includes Access) for £9.95.

https://www.microsofthup.com/hupuk/hup.aspx?culture=en-GB
    https://www.microsofthup.com/hupuk/pdp2/en-GB/office
  • maddogb
    maddogb Posts: 473 Forumite
    Options
    oh dear god why are they still using 5400 rpm hdds 25year old technology just to squeeze a few more bucks per unit profit.
  • maddogb
    Options
    oh and btw despite popular opinion the salesman was correct from a technical point of view, whether you will notice this slow down to any degree before the laptop outlives its life is another question.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    Good spot re. self employed. :)

OP will be referring to the Home Use Program ... this offers Office Professional Plus 2016 (which includes Access) for £9.95.

https://www.microsofthup.com/hupuk/hup.aspx?culture=en-GB
    https://www.microsofthup.com/hupuk/pdp2/en-GB/office

If the OP is only self employed then I don't see that it's likely that the Home Use Program will apply. It's possible that they are employed and have access to the program that way but also do SE work, we'll only know for sure if the OP updates us.
  • NineDeuce
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    If the OP is only self employed then I don't see that it's likely that the Home Use Program will apply. It's possible that they are employed and have access to the program that way but also do SE work, we'll only know for sure if the OP updates us.

I am not just self employed. I have an employer during the day and then do self employed work at other times.

The Home Use program is indeed what I am eligible for and I didnt think of the point raised about Access but it seems it is covered in the HU plan all the same.

I think further to what has been said, I may go down the route of getting a refurbished machine that has a decent warranty length.....

When looking at the processor, should the emphasis be on the processor speed rather than the make/model. Is for example, a 2.3 gigahertz processor good? This seems to be the approximate spec for various Intel I3 processors.

For want of a better phrase, what is the industry standard?
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    maddogb wrote: »
    oh and btw despite popular opinion the salesman was correct from a technical point of view, whether you will notice this slow down to any degree before the laptop outlives its life is another question.

In what way (and on what planet) was the salesman correct from any point of view ?

Are you saying that a computer will slow significantly down by installing office and a few photos on a 1TB HDD ?? and therefore a 2TB would be recommended ?

Do you work for PC world ?
  • maddogb
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    In what way (and on what planet) was the salesman correct from any point of view ?

Are you saying that a computer will slow significantly down by installing office and a few photos on a 1TB HDD ?? and therefore a 2TB would be recommended ?

Do you work for PC world ?

lol no I don't work for them and I didn't use the term "significantly" in fact I questioned whether the OP would even notice. but yes these 5400hdds do slow down quite a bit with not as much data written to them as you would expect.
    Why do you think many diagnostics/performance testing packages offer 3 stage (start, middle and end of platter) tests on mech hdds?
    Seriously if any tech aware desktop users remember the 90s they will tell you 5400 drives went in the bin as soon as 7200 rpm drives became available at reasonable prices.
    The root of this problem is the old tech, this is compounded by modern hdds using very small sectors causing huge amounts of multiple seeks on the read/write head and the fact that most people don't leave laptops running allowing the correct defragmentation operations to run whilst the hdd also has to contend with many operations such as anti-virus scans constant updates from ms and many other programs over slow wifi all whilst the user is trying to do "stuff"
    I have seen relatively newish machines crawl to what I consider unusable because of the weight people unknowingly put on them.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    None of that justifies an upsell from 1TB to 2TB.
  • maddogb
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    None of that justifies an upsell from 1TB to 2TB.

I never said it did, I was just correcting all those that stated the amount of data on a hdd does not effect it's performance.
    I imagine the salesman has only been part listening to some training he had, a much better upsell would of been a SSD and a usb casing for the 1TB junk :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure