IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Driver complaints about car park fine policies hit unprecedented levels in Scotland

Options
Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 10 July 2017 at 10:18PM
    Options
    now that is what I calll a well written and factual article and a great reference for the uninitiated

required reading for ALL newbies , regardless of which of the 4 "countries" they are in

I find this quote from those fools at the DCLG annoying after they have had 2.3 YEARS to think about it , especially as the last parliament promised to sort it out before the end of that parliament
    The government, meanwhile, declines to say whether it plans to force the appeals services to appoint an independent auditor. “Ministers are carefully reviewing the case for reform of the private parking sector and further details will be released in due course,” the Department for Communities and Local Government tells The Observer.
    is Mrs May really listening ?

or Marcus Jones ?

watch Scotland MSP`s sort it out before their english counterparts !!!
  • Ryandavis1959
    Ryandavis1959 Posts: 217 Forumite
    edited 10 July 2017 at 11:37PM
    Options
    Really bad article, once again giving wrong advice that in Scotland you cannot be taken to Sherrifs court under Simple Procedure unless the driver is known.

THIS IS NOT TRUE!

I REPEAT FOR ALL SCOTS WHO ARE READING THIS, DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS ENGLISH NEWSPAPER AS THEY ARE TALKING RUBBISH!

There is currently an unprecedented assault on Scottish motorists from these English parking companies thanks to the introduction of Simple Procedure a few months ago, combined with thr disgraceful Carly Mackie court case and also the recent Sarah Gegan case who has unfortunately single handedly peeded off the Edinburgh Sheriffs against motorists thanks to her woeful performance under cross examination when she was asked who was driving and completely fell apart when her 'amnesia' was picked to shreds by the Sherrif (WHY are people advised to lie about this to Sheriffs when all it does is completely discredit you and destroys all the other potentially winnable arguments that you will have like bad signage?! Not to mention the damage it then does to the Defender In the next case heard by that Sheriif).

I wonder if the Guardian will indemnify Scottish motorists who follow this advice and then end up in court, with a belligerent Sheriff demanding to know who the driver was and not accepting "I can't remember" for an answer.

Im frankly tired of this English-centric advice we keep seeing which is misleading Scottish motorists!!! I don't know enough about the situation in NI to comment.

No doubt the usual English people will flood in to defend their bad Lazy advice that they have been dishing out here for years and causing damage to REAL people who listened and were then left unrepresented when Simple Procedure papers were served! No one here helped Carly but she is somehow blamed for following the advice given by posters here. If you are Scottish try the Scottish Parking Facebook groups and Barry Beavis facebook and Tony Taylor, who all have a track record of being experts in how to successfully defend Simple Procedure claims.
    If you were not the driver write to the parking firm and tell them who was so they CANNOT hold you liable. The person who was driving the car is responsible so let them deal with it. Not you! Don’t let people with an agenda tell you otherwise.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,697 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    giving wrong advice that in Scotland you cannot be taken to Sherrifs court under Simple Procedure unless the driver is known.

It doesn't say that. IMHO the article is a good one.

It would be madness to suggest that people in Scotland should say who was driving.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Ryandavis1959
    Ryandavis1959 Posts: 217 Forumite
    edited 10 July 2017 at 11:45PM
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    It doesn't say that. IMHO the article is a good one.

It would be madness to suggest that people in Scotland should say who was driving.
    And when the Sheriff asks who was driving, what should they say? And if they at this point admit to being the driver was do you think it does to their credibility if they have previously refused to answer? Part of Simple Procedure is "should this claim be directed at any other individual" if you do not name the driver here then you have wasted court time and Sheriffs will come down hard on you. Do you know how this potentially impacts on Costs? This is not capped like in England.

I think Sheriffs and Scots Law are very different beasts to what takes place in England, and it is 'high time' people are given some honest advice on parking in Scotland and the risks under Simple Procedure.

I am going to phone this journalist tomorrow if she Takes calls to see if I can get her to amend this article.

Thanks for your civil response. :beer:
    If you were not the driver write to the parking firm and tell them who was so they CANNOT hold you liable. The person who was driving the car is responsible so let them deal with it. Not you! Don’t let people with an agenda tell you otherwise.
  • Coupon-mad
    edited 10 July 2017 at 11:53PM
    Options
    You are posting once again, in an inflammatory way that suggests your interests lie with a parking firm. You come here and cause alarm, where none should exist. In Scotland claims are still VERY rare, and it is true to say that a keeper cannot be held liable. It is also not the norm to be asked by a Sheriff who the driver was.

And for someone with a real interest in Scottish court cases, one wonders why can't you spell Sheriff? Three different versions appear in your post #3.

And finally, the fact you have insider knowledge of two recent cases (one very recent) suggests to us even more that you have a parking firm interest and unwelcome agenda.

Even if I am wrong (and I don't think I am because rats from parking firms are easy to sniff out, have always been obvious over the years here), at the very least, you clearly come here to stir up distress and confusion.

And that's not acceptable on this forum.
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 July 2017 at 11:53PM
    Options
    Really bad article, once again giving wrong advice that in Scotland you cannot be taken to Sherrifs court under Simple Procedure unless the driver is known.

THIS IS NOT TRUE!

I REPEAT FOR ALL SCOTS WHO ARE READING THIS, DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS ENGLISH NEWSPAPER AS THEY ARE TALKING RUBBISH!

There is currently an unprecedented assault on Scottish motorists from these English parking companies thanks to the introduction of Simple Procedure a few months ago, combined with thr disgraceful Carly Mackie court case and also the recent Sarah Gegan case who has unfortunately single handedly peeded off the Edinburgh Sheriffs against motorists thanks to her woeful performance under cross examination when she was asked who was driving and completely fell apart when her 'amnesia' was picked to shreds by the Sherrif (WHY are people advised to lie about this to Sheriffs when all it does is completely discredit you and destroys all the other potentially winnable arguments that you will have like bad signage?! Not to mention the damage it then does to the Defender In the next case heard by that Sheriif).

I wonder if the Guardian will indemnify Scottish motorists who follow this advice and then end up in court, with a belligerent Sheriff demanding to know who the driver was and not accepting "I can't remember" for an answer.

Im frankly tired of this English-centric advice we keep seeing which is misleading Scottish motorists!!! I don't know enough about the situation in NI to comment.

No doubt the usual English people will flood in to defend their bad Lazy advice that they have been dishing out here for years and causing damage to REAL people who listened and were then left unrepresented when Simple Procedure papers were served! No one here helped Carly but she is somehow blamed for following the advice given by posters here. If you are Scottish try the Scottish Parking Facebook groups and Barry Beavis facebook and Tony Taylor, who all have a track record of being experts in how to successfully defend Simple Procedure claims.

that name rings a bell ,whats his present job , and what was his last job ?

was it the chap mentioned in this thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5214600&highlight=tony+taylor

hang on , lets go to the post that matters http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=70526956&postcount=8
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • Ryandavis1959
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    You are posting once again, in an inflammatory way that suggests your interests lie with a parking firm. You come here and cause alarm, where none should exist. In Scotland claims are still VERY rare, and it is true to say that a keeper cannot be held liable. It is also not the norm to be asked by a Sheriff who the driver was.

And for someone with a real interest in Scottish court cases, one wonders why can't you spell Sheriff? Three different versions appear in your post #3.

And finally, the fact you have insider knowledge of two cases suggests to us even more that you have a parking firm agenda and come here to stir up distress and confusion.
    Thanks for ignoring all of my points and trying to discredit me in the eyes of others by mocking my spelling (it's almost midnight and I'm writing in darkness on a phone!) and accusing me of working for a parking firm.

I am speechless that you actually think that I am causing distress, when Scottish people see my posts and send me private messages asking for advice. My advice is always the same: go to Facebook if you want Scottish advice! That's where I get my information from, we all very active on Facebook and it would be good if you would join to learn what is going on as clearly you are "out of the loop".
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    so seem to have quickly decided not to reply to my post ,,,,,,,,,silence is ,,,
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • Ryandavis1959
    Options
    pappa_golf wrote: »
    that name rings a bell ,whats his present job , and what was his last job ?

was it the chap mentioned in this thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5214600&highlight=tony+taylor

hang on , lets go to the post that matters http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=70526956&postcount=8
    Thanks for sharing that, I was not aware people were having issues with him. Barry Beavis seems to be the main guy on Facebook these days anyway, if you join his groups and get invited to the private Scottish group you will get the insider scoop and information on how to help.
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    go to Facebook...That's where I get my information from,

Personally I would be embarrassed to type that. :)

And I don't need to go to Facebook to talk to Barry Beavis, thanks anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure