Ebico

dave8204
dave8204 Posts: 59 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
Has anyone else got experience of Ebico since they changed provider from SSE to Robin Hood? It seems Robin Hood aren't geared up to handle much more than the local users they're used to. I've had 2 weeks of repeated requests to sign up to the website,2 since actually doing so,2 welcome packs and that same website unusable as it won't recognise my details. They then asked me to give meter readings,website unusable so that's out,used the phone service which confirmed my details then told me I couldn't use it. Managed to get through to their customer services person who cut me off when I complained about their poor service,and no I wasn't shouting or being offensive.Letters from SSE claiming Ebico are not being honest don't inspire either,currently there's a slanging match going on between the 2 with bemused customers not sure who is telling the truth.Whoever's right or wrong given my experience so far and of a couple of Trustpilot reviewers if Ebico don't sort this shambles out quickly they won't be around for much longer.

Comments

• EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    dave8204 wrote: »
    Letters from SSE claiming Ebico are not being honest...

Which SSE letter said that? There have been several and maybe I've missed that one. Seems a fairly brave thing to do to claim in a letter that another company is "not being honest".

What's the problem with the Ebico site being unusable - is it because you can't log on, or is it not working once you've logged on?

I logged on and submitted my switch reads earlier in the week. I got my SSE final bill for electricity yesterday, no gas final bill yet, but then I've heard they usually take longer.

I'm not the happiest of customers, but I don't think things have gone too badly given the circumstances.

I, and I'd guess many thousands of Ebico customers, are more interested in their zero standing charge offer. So I'll put up with some inconvenience if it means retaining what for me is a major benefit, and I really hope the negativity directed at Ebico doesn't put our zero standing charge tariff in jeopardy.

For people who don't like Ebico there are plenty of other options... for people who want zero standing charges the options are limited.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I've just been onto the Ebico site and its fine. My only issue is that it hadn't logged me out since I was on it over the weekend.
    Silly question, they haven't changed web addresses have they? I had trouble logging into my Lloyd's bank account recently because they changed to lloyds from lloydsTSB. Obvious when you think about it but frustrating when it happened.
    I'm using,

account.ebico.org.uk

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • dave8204
    EachPenny wrote: »
    Which SSE letter said that? There have been several and maybe I've missed that one. Seems a fairly brave thing to do to claim in a letter that another company is "not being honest".

What's the problem with the Ebico site being unusable - is it because you can't log on, or is it not working once you've logged on?

The letter I had from SSE states that they are aware Ebico suggested that my energy supply would be automatically switched to Robin Hood,it then goes on to say that this is not the case and it is "not allowed" for this to be done and as such the letter was incorrect. It also states that the zero tariff remains for customers who stay with SSE.Finally it says "We were unaware this letter was being sent and were unaware of its contents".

As for the website,that's a mystery,I'd already successfully signed up,arranged my direct debit and logged in a couple of times. Now I can't sign in and when I tried the "forgot my password" link it says there has been an error and to contact them....which I tried this morning with zero success. Currently I'm collecting account confirmation,register your account and welcome to Ebico and thanks for opening your account e-mails seemingly at random.
    Just to make my day the phone rang just after Ebico had cut me off so thinking it was them I answered and someone saying they were from Talk Talk gave my name and asked if I'd noticed my internet getting slower recently then screaming abuse when I said I hadn't....good to see Talk Talk have tightened their security.
  • dave8204
    Xbigman wrote: »
    account.ebico.org.uk
    Darren

Thanks Darren,tried that but same result.
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    If it is the SSE letter dated around 22 March, then my copy simply says (about the automatic switch) "This information was incorrect." To me that suggested a genuine mistake had been made, which is significantly different to what your original post said...
    dave8204 wrote: »
    Letters from SSE claiming Ebico are not being honest...

People look at what is said about companies on forums like this to decide if they want to use them - it would be a shame if any potential Ebico customer were put off from joining them (and/or supporting the Ebico/RHE model of doing things) because of the phrase you've used, which I don't feel reflects what SSE were saying.

More than one Ebico customer on the forum has said they considered themselves to be an Ebico customer, not an SSE customer. For a lot of people it doesn't make sense that to continue being an Ebico customer we are having to switch to Ebico. I would have expected the process to be automatic and not require us to go through the requirement of requesting a manual switch (unless on a PPM or with WHD) with all the complications that has involved, thanks to the crazy rules the energy companies have to work to. So what Ebico said in their original letter may not have been correct, but it made far more sense than the reality.

I'm not sure what is going on in your case, maybe you've registered multiple times which is causing the multiple emails and account lock up?

But bottom line, you still have working gas/electric, you've set up the new DD, you've not had money incorrectly debited from your account? Not sure what the problem you have is then... maybe wait a week or two to let things settle down and then ask them to resolve your account access issue?
  • dave8204
    They're saying explicitly that Ebico have supplied incorrect information in a letter basically asking people to switch away from one company to another, maybe it's all in the interpretation but I'd guess they ran the wording past their lawyers.

I have sorted my problem now,I clicked on "register",using the original password,and was sent a verification link to use and can use the website again. All very bizarre bearing in mind I'd successfully registered a week or so before and set up my account,got the confirmation mail etc and now I'm able to access it again all my details were already there.Why that worked I really don't know but it did so I'll settle for that.
    Thanks to all respondents for advice , ideas and comments.
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    There's a world of difference between supplying incorrect information (e.g. genuine mistake) and "not being honest". I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with using a public forum to accuse someone of saying that someone else was "not being honest", but we all make personal choices.

For the benefit of potential Ebico customers reading this thread, it would be helpful to make it clear that SSE's letter didn't say what the first post suggests.

Glad you got your problem sorted, hopefully people will see that things at Ebico/RHE aren't all bad, even if they are having to deal with the transfer of thousands of customers in a short space of time. Not something small companies are normally geared up to do.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    I've had my letter from Ebico saying, Congratulations you've switched. I always considered that I was an Ebico customer for the past three years, even though the bills came from SSE. Every time I emailed in my readings I always added 'Ebico customer', just to confirm that.

There has been a couple of teething problems with my changeover, something not quite right with my Ebico account, but that is to be expected with such a large mass of people changing at the same time. I don't panic because I am still getting my gas and electric delivered to my house. Things will calm down after the upheaval, everything will sort itself out.

I find paying quarterly makes things a lot simpler for me, no direct debits to change. Don't need to contact my bank. The bills come to a halt from one provider, and start from another.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Ilona wrote: »
    I've had my letter from Ebico saying, Congratulations you've switched. I always considered that I was an Ebico customer for the past three years, even though the bills came from SSE. Every time I emailed in my readings I always added 'Ebico customer', just to confirm that.

Likewise I have had the same letter.

Like many people who have switched from Ebico(SSE) to Ebico(RH) I was in credit for both gas and electricity with Ebico(SSE)

As I was a customer of Ebico and not SSE it would be logical for that credit to be transferred to my Ebico(RH) account; however I understand that is not the case. That said if there is any problem with SSE refunding the money, it is up to Ebico to sort it out.
  • jrio
    jrio Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I've switched to Ebico this week but am having some reservations, due to the following:

1) So far it is impossible to get any contact from them. Leave a message and they guarantee they'll call you before the end of the next working day? Nothing. Naturally no response to an email. Their welcome email also lists their contact centre hours as 8am-8pm during the week and 9 to 5.30 Saturdays. Nope. It's 9 to 5.30 weekdays and closed on Saturdays.
    2) I can't set up my online account, seemingly because my email address is registered with them from the online application and it won't allow any further use of it.

Clearly they have nothing like enough staff to deal with demand, somewhat reminiscent of my experience with iSupply a few years ago.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure