Faulty car from Dealer

Sauasage_Roll
Sauasage_Roll Posts: 24 Forumite
edited 20 April 2017 at 11:36AM in Motoring
I've bought a 2nd hand car from a dealer...upon collecting and paying we found all brake light bulbs needed replacing,that was done at a garage before we could drive home.

I paid and didn't worry about costs...then we found out headlights were same and needed other work to fix headlights,this was only found when we went to use it a day or two later in the evening.

Long story short i've written a letter stating faults and quoting sales o0f goods act (letter was template) and asked for repairs to be paid for and included a receipt from Garage for works (only £130 ish) and given dealer 2 weeks to pay.

Two weeks is up and as expected he has ignored the signed for letter...is there another template letter i can send similar to letter before action or would i already be at the LBA stage.

Whilst its a small amount of money its still an amount i shouldn't have had to pay (car was £1300 to buy).

Normally id have asked the dealer (located 45 miles away) to collect car and deal with it...however when its headlights i felt it wasnt safe or appropriate to use it and needed to have it fixed asap.

Any help and advice would be very welcome.

Comments

• facade
    facade Posts: 7,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Get the charging system voltages checked, a suspiciously high amount of blown bulbs is usually indicative of too high a voltage.
    (Except in my Nissan/Renault. It goes through brake lights and headlamps like an elephant in a sticky bun factory, and the voltages are within spec, I wonder if it is a vibration problem)

As to the blown bulbs, as they made the car unroadworthy at time of sale, the dealer is liable to fix them, but doesn't need to pay a £130 garage bill for £5 worth of bulbs, you should have given the dealer a chance to change them first, it is not his fault you live 45 miles away.
    I'd expect the dealer to provide a set of bulbs- probably eBay specials, and that is it.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    What he said. You gave the dealer no opportunity to remedy the defect. You didn't even inform him of the faults before you arranged the repair yourself. Small claims for £130 really isn't worth your while, and I doubt you'd win it anyway.
    When was the last MOT done? Any advisories?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    The Sale of Goods act has been replaced with the Consumer Rights Act. Quoting legislation that is no longer relevant won't help either.
  • I should have explained better/more clearly...the rear brake light bulbs were blown,this i had fixed at my expense.
    Headlights was a mix of a blown bulbs,a bulb that had the filiment snapped when being fitted and both headlamps not secured as both brackets broken.
    Garage who carried the work out advised the damage was indicative of an accident...not a case of replacing couple of bulbs hence the price charged.

Regards giving dealer not having a chance to have the car recoverd (they are liable to have it recoverd..not for new owner to take to them) that wasnt an option as the car was needed as working night shifts.

Sales of goods act...yes agree i should have said Consumer Rights Act,point remains that car was less than 30 days old and not fit to be driven on the road.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,030 Forumite

Regards giving dealer not having a chance to have the car recovered (they are liable to have it recovered..not for new owner to take to them)

News to me unless playing the "unroadworthy" card changes things...
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    point remains that car was less than 30 days old and not fit to be driven on the road.

If the dealer won't play ball, you may wish to get on to the manufacturer as well, to let them know they are selling new cars with faults.

You should have taken it back to the dealer to give them the opportunity to fix it though, it's not the dealer's fault you do shift work.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If the dealer won't play ball, you may wish to get on to the manufacturer as well, to let them know they are selling new cars with faults.

You should have taken it back to the dealer to give them the opportunity to fix it though, it's not the dealer's fault you do shift work.

Are they? The OP bought a used car.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    Are they? The OP bought a used car.
    The post I quoted suggested the car was less than 30 days old, which is close enough to new to involve the manufacturer.

Perhaps the OP has misrepresented the age of the vehicle to us?
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • paddyandstumpy
    paddyandstumpy Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    First sentence, the OP says they bought a 2nd hand car.

In the same post they disclose the price paid, £1300.

That infers old banger, not new...
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The post I quoted suggested the car was less than 30 days old, which is close enough to new to involve the manufacturer.

Perhaps the OP has misrepresented the age of the vehicle to us?

Not in the OP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport