Monarch delays & Compensations. Listed flights denied in O.P.

Options

Comments

• BillLucas
    Options
    Maybe if we started seperate forum and/or web site detailing basic information Flight Number, date and reason Monarch are claiming bextraordinary circumstances., then we will see the number of different issue Monarch clsaim come under this umbrellas. When a case iss then submitted to the CAA or Court we would the have a large number of examples with a copy of the forum/web site to back up the fact that Monarch are claiming nearly everything is extraordinary circumstances. These facts could only help to back up our cases and show Monarch are using every possible excuse. What do anybody else think.
  • laeli
    laeli Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    Hi guys,

I am a bit fed up with not hearing from Monarch and I am seriously considering taking them to court via small claims... Just wanted to doublecheck with you that there is no way they can get away with extraordinary circumstances with my claim?

Aug 24th 2012 I was flying to BCN with a 5pm flight (paying more to get there for dinner time but whatever). After keeping us waiting for ages we board the plane, and once ON the plane, when we couldn't buy food other than their own, they announce that our GTW-BCN flight is going to be re-routed thru Munich. They only offer 1 drink per person, despite myself quoting the 261/2004 EU Regulation which states they also need to provide calls and food for a delay over 2 hours. No explanation re the delay is offered.

Once in Munich I discover that basically a man had a heart attack on another plane that was going from GTW to Greece (or Turkey) and they had to fly a crew over to London as that one would be out of hours, and they decided to fly them on our GTW-BCN plane!!

Is this extraordinary circumstances? Surely
    Do they directly affect our flight? No, until they decide they do
    Was there other ways of sorting out the crew issue without affecting our plane? Definitely

Ah, to add to the damage I wasn't even able to purchase food on the plane as the trolley was EMPTY by the time it got to my seat (row 14), which means I was forced to skip dinner and the first place to purchase food was BCN airport at 1h30 in the morning. Ideally I'd also report this to the relevant organization (CAA?)

Cheers
    E
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    laeli wrote: »
    Just wanted to doublecheck with you that there is no way they can get away with extraordinary circumstances with my claim?

That would be for a court to decide. But as the conventional wisdom from the experts here is that ECs need to relate to the operation of the flight concerned, not subsequent flights or knock-on effects, then your claim looks pretty good to me.

Of course, as Monarch are being so naughty about it all, you'll almost certainly have to sue to get your money ...
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ... They finally replied to my letters, three and a half months on!

More predictably, they are claiming Extraordinary Circumstances!! I know - who'd have thunk it? This is what they have written:
    Blah blah blah ...

Our records show that prior to take off of the outbound flight, the flight deck crew saw cracks in the right hand side windscreen of the aircraft scheduled to operate your flight. The aircraft returned to the stand where engineers attended in order to perform the requisite checks. It was ascertained that a new windscreen was required and this was transferred from Luton to Gatwick via taxi. Engineers from Virgin assisted in the rectification work which was carried out in the Virgin hangar. Extra sealant was required and was sourced by Virgin from their hangar in Heathrow. The rectification work took longer than first anticipated as the sealant would not set, as a result passengers and crew were required to ‘night stop’ in London and the flight departed the following day. This had an unfortunate knock on effect to your flight which resulted in passengers having to stay overnight in Egypt, before the aircraft arrived at Sharm El Sheik to operate your flight.

Windscreens are liable to break without prior indication as they are subject to extreme temperature changes at high altitude. The necessity to change a windscreen is rare and as such spare components are stored in the main stores at Luton.

Having considered the factual background of this incident, I am satisfied that this was indeed an extraordinary circumstance that could not have reasonably been prevented by Monarch. I am unable to agree to your claim for compensation.

So there we are.

Of course, it is more than likely that the crack developed on the flight before the flight before mine (the crack was "discovered" on the immediately preceding flight, but the windscreen is unlikely to have cracked whilst sitting on the tarmac, I'd have thought).

Anyway, as I've said elsewhere I think their claim of EC's holds no water for a variety of reasons. But I'd value the thoughts of the real experts on this.

By coincidence, I started the MCOL process on Monday evening, and look forward to the thrill of the chase. But what to do with this letter: should I respond to Monarch telling them that they are misinterpretting the law, with some key points why? Or should I keep my powder dry for Court?
  • jhaytch
    Options
    hi i sent forms from monarch in december 2012 after a 11 hour delay to sanford airport in june 2012 i recieved confirmation that they had recieved my claim and would here within 8 weeks which has passed and had not heard anything so phoned monarch flight delays and was told it is still with there legal department because of high volumes what i cant understand is that surely someone has complained to the caa and they are supposedly able to fine monarch £5000 pound per person if they dont comply with the ecj ruling so why are the caa not fining monarch airlines
  • cart583
    cart583 Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    hi jhaytch, was your flight zb305? if so my party was on the same flight with the 11 hour delay. i sent forms off in january 2013 and have just had the update letter what everyone has had saying they will update again in a month.
  • jhaytch
    Options
    cart583 wrote: »
    hi jhaytch, was your flight zb305? if so my party was on the same flight with the 11 hour delay. i sent forms off in january 2013 and have just had the update letter what everyone has had saying they will update again in a month.

yes i was on the flight from manchester to sanford should have took off at 08.15 which was wrong was 09.15 we actually took off at 20.00 having been told at check in there was a slight delay they knew the fault at 0515 05.30 in the morning so i will be going to court when the extrodinary circumstances letter drops through the door we arrived at sanford after midnight was 08 00 b4 we got to our villa it was our first time driving over there and got lost on numerous occassions
  • pb1968
    Options
    I'm contemplating lodging a claim with Monarch for a 6hr+ delay in 2011. I have an email from them at the time where they state the folllowing:
    "Please accept Monarch's sincere apologies for the delay you experienced on your recent flight, booking reference: XXXXXX

Regrettably this was caused by technical difficulties within the Monarch fleet. Our aircraft are maintained to the highest standards, but as with all airlines, unexpected technical problems do occur from time to time, when this happens, safety is always our number one priority. Nevertheless we appreciate that this caused you some inconvenience and we are sorry for this."

Do they often send out such emails, and is this just setting the grounds for them to be able to claim Extraordinary Circumstances?
  • Mark2spark
    Mark2spark Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Big_GD wrote: »
    Known flights that Monarch have agreed compensation on:
    ZB3566 LUTON - FIUMICINO 07/10/12 Payment received

I've updated the OP to include your flight, many thanks.
  • SOLDIER_BLUE
    Options
    I first contacted them about my return flight from Barca to Gatwick which was delayed by 7 hours last October. A month later they sent me some pretty infantile forms which they did not need because, being a sensible bloke I think, I gave them all the relevant data in my original letter. Then of course total silence from Monarch despite a reminder a month ago. But if they think I am giving up I am not. The joke is I only wanted a 'few quid' to compensate me for the meals and drinks my wife and I had to pay for during those highly forgettable 7 hours (the Monarch voucher was for a flight-side restaurant that did not actually exist (!) and, of course there was nobody assisting passengers from Monarch). Now I know I can get some pretty high compensation I intend to write to the Company Secretary informing him that without prompt settlement now I will take Monarch to the County Court for the EU values published.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure