PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Spiced Onions from Indian Takeaway

:D Good morning all

I am looking for a recipe for the spiced onions that you get from the Indian Takeaways - you know the kind in a little pot to have with popaddoms kind of a nippy red sauce anyone know a recipe for them as addicted at the mo

cheers!

Comments

• i'm bumping you up here!!! I also am addicted!
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ooh, haven't seen those over here. I'd like to know too!
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • the only red sauce that i get with poppadums in my local area is a spicy lime pickle, but that doesn't have onions in it.
  • mrjstacey
    mrjstacey Posts: 15 Forumite
    I worked in a Balti house near Stourbridge and our poppadum dipping source was extremely simple, take a few raw onions chopped into crescent shapes and then mix with a blend of natural yoghurt, salad cream, mint sauce and tomato ketchup to taste. It's very straightforward to vary this with a few pinches of cumin or the addition of some chutney or chilli sauce.

Hope that helps
  • Purple1979
    Purple1979 Posts: 22 Forumite
    will give that a try i dont think the ones we get in our area are yoghurt based though but worth a try!

cheers!
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,138 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    They sell them in asda. No idea of ingrediants but it might say on the pot.
  • ckerrd
    ckerrd Posts: 2,641 Forumite
    chop/slice onions

In a bowl mix a tablespoon of tomato ketchup with a teaspoon (or slightly more) of tomato puree. Add as much chilli powder as you feel comfortable with. Squirt of lemon juice. Mix well, stir in the onions and put in the fridge till ready
    We all evolve - get on with it
  • janeym8
    janeym8 Posts: 529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    yummy-wish id read this earlier on as we had popadoms with our curry tonight and i love spiced onions but never knew how to make the sauce

janey xxx
    LIFE IS FOR LIVING-I`VE LEARNT THAT THE HARD WAY
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family