Skirting board heating

Options

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    You are simply not allowed to advertise on these boards.

If you have heating systems that cannot deliver high temperature water(heat pumps) then clearly a larger surface area of radiator is required. I personally do not doubt that skirting radiators are then effective.

However conventional boilers can produce high temperature water at high efficiency.

The fact that you introduce the term 'solar' into a discussion about central heating(not HW) is typical of the way manufacturers climb onto that particular bandwagon. The best solar panels are capable of producing around 20 -30kWh per month in a UK winter.

Why not get the Energy Saving Trust or 'Which' to test your products and write an independant report?
  • Lizbetty
    Lizbetty Posts: 979 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone see Dragon's Den last night? :p
  • bartsimpson
    Options
    Yep excellent - Duncan was at his rudest last night wasn't he? And PJ looked p**** off - maybe that's because he has to sit next to sourpuss meaden the whole time?

As-Seen-On has got the products on already - definitely going to get myself some of that fat free curry, i thought it was a great idea.
  • Lizbetty
    Options
    Yep excellent - Duncan was at his rudest last night wasn't he? And PJ looked p**** off - maybe that's because he has to sit next to sourpuss meaden the whole time?

As-Seen-On has got the products on already - definitely going to get myself some of that fat free curry, i thought it was a great idea.

Did you see the bit about the skirting board heating though? I have a feeling it's possibly the same chap posting on here?

Although maybe a good dose of that fat free curry might be an alternative source of gas heating...lol! :p Although not sure at £3.50 a jar.. :eek:
  • LMEBR
    Options
    I've heard that there are other products similar to thermaskirt - a company called Heat Profile has been supplying skirting heaters for over 10 years. My understanding is that they save energy because you feel warmer at lower thermostat settings and therefore you save because you drop your heat losses. It's due to a combination of the radiant heat, the temperature profile in the room and the fact that when you switch them on they react much faster than under floor heating. The numbers I heard banded around are up to 20% energy savings relative to ordinary radiators.
  • LMEBR
    Options
    I live in an old Surrey House, built in 1449 of oak cut in the winter of 1448. I can see through my walls to the outside where the wattle and daub doesn't meet the beams. I know that the radiators are struggling to keep up with the heat losses except in one room, a recently renovated attached garage which is now my son's bedroom. In this room the walls and ceiling have insulation to modern housebuild standards and it is so obvious how useless the heat insulation of the house is elsewhere it makes me weep. The research we did into radiators was cursory to say the least, as it meant opening up a can of worms, but every month I become more and more resolved to batten down the hatches and bring the rest of the house up to the same standard. Searching for replacements for shoddy skirting, and improving the heating came up with the above research. My neighbour went with underfloor heating, and regrets the expense of the new floor. I was given the above information and am resolved to install skirting heating. Heat Profile is local and I was treated with courtesy and intelligence by the representative. The radiators in my grade 2 listed house are horrible, the furniture has to go with its back to the walls because the rooms are quite pokey, and the ceilings are low, so I don't have the same problem with rising heat. I can't wait.
  • paceinternet
    Options
    I looked at the product when the Dragon's Den program had it on. My thoughts at the time were that it was borderline whether you could get enough linear meterage of it in a room to provide the theoretical heat requirements to heat a well insulated room using the minimum 40 w / sq m. If you have a drafty poorly insulated building you should be providing 80 - 120 w / sq m, which would be even more difficult.

Maybe doing a more detailed assessment of every wall gives you more confidence.
  • LMEBR
    Options
    We've worked out the room dimensions even though it was very irregular, and the heating requirements and came up with 150W per yard of skirting board, and in a 4m by 4m room ignoring doors and the fireplace, we could get 12m of skirting board heaters around the room and over 100W per m2. All the best, wish me luck with the bank loan!
  • Mike1961
    Options
    Has any one come across the coving heating that Heat Profile is offering as an alternative to skirting heating. I don't have enough space in my kitchen at floor level and don't want to use my only spare wall for a radiator.
  • puddy
    puddy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    Options
    im interested in this, we are looking to buy somewhere and because we havent got much money its likely we need to buy somewhere that needs doing up. however, one thing that i have always wanted is NO radiators. we've looked at underfloor heating but wonder if it is likly to work efficiently with wooden floors which is what i want, in addition the installation is hard work because i want the water version not the electric version.

i remembered that bloke on dragons den so found his webiste and then from the posts above found heatprofile as well.

whats the difference between them?

can you use them in properties where there is a solid concrete floor?

is it going to be warm enough to get rid of all the radiators? I HATE them
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport