Converting a joint account into a sole account

Pretty certain it is but is it possible to convert a joint account into a sole account by removing one of the account holders?

Comments

• Februarycat
    Februarycat Posts: 1,385
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Yes I have just done this but we both had to go in and sign a form and I then got new cheque books etc.
  • Most banks will have a convert a joint account to sole form.
    However the account has to be in credit.

The form HAS to be signed by both parties and any plastic cards etc has to be returned to the bank before they action the application.
  • lynxptc
    lynxptc Posts: 280
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    First Direct have just said they wont, but I'm almost certain other banks will?
  • lynxptc wrote: »
    I've just contacted my bank, First Direct, who said it isn't possible and would need to close the joint account and open two new accounts with credit checks taking place etc. Are they right? Or did I just get through to someone who didn't know what they were talking about?
    I can't speak on behalf of First Direct but what would they do if one party died?
    Would they insist on a new account being opened for the survivour or just take the name of the deceased off?
    I think they have misinformed you.

I could be wrong - is there any First Direct staff in the house?
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    lynxptc wrote: »
    I've just contacted my bank, First Direct, who said it isn't possible and would need to close the joint account and open two new accounts with credit checks taking place etc. Are they right? Or did I just get through to someone who didn't know what they were talking about?

why is this a problem .. isn't a single account what you are seeking?
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    ejones999 wrote: »
    I think they have misinformed you.
    EJ, it's the same with Yorkshire Bank (and therefore quite probably Clydesdale Bank as well).

I enquired recently and was told the joint account had to be closed down and a new single account (with new account number) opened.
  • silou
    silou Posts: 88 Forumite
    Intelligent Fianance also insist on the joint acount being closed totally and a new single account applied for again with credit checks etc. In my case this was a problem because my credit history had got much worse since the joint IF account was opened and they refused me a single account, overcame the problem by getting a basic current a/c with RBS..
  • lynxptc
    lynxptc Posts: 280
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    silou wrote: »
    Intelligent Fianance also insist on the joint acount being closed totally and a new single account applied for again with credit checks etc. In my case this was a problem because my credit history had got much worse since the joint IF account was opened and they refused me a single account, overcame the problem by getting a basic current a/c with RBS..

Exactly the same as me as in I don't want to go through the hassle of applying for a new account and having checks done etc when it should be the case that they can just remove one of the account holders?
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,077
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    When I wanted to convert my sole account to a joint account I had no problems at all. LLoyds made it as painless as possible.

I suppose thats the advantage of having a thoroughbred as your main banker.
  • frivolous_fay
    frivolous_fay Posts: 13,302
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    MABLE wrote: »
    When I wanted to convert my sole account to a joint account I had no problems at all. LLoyds made it as painless as possible.

I suppose thats the advantage of having a thoroughbred as your main banker.

Thoroughbred? Snort.

I think you've misread the OP though... we're not talking about converting to a joint account.
    My TV is broken! :cry:
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure