How do I cancel an O2 contract?

Comments

• i cancelled over the phone last week
  • i cancelled over the phone last week

Well done.
    But things have moved a lil' bit in those three years. Agree?
    Was this post useful to you? Feel free to click the thanks button--¬ :beer:
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    z4kir wrote: »
    I rang 08705 860 860 (alternative number 0113 3069265 ???) a couple of hrs ago n was told I could cancel over the phone... enquired about my pac, but didn't want to risk getting a pac incase it effected my final cashback.

Requesting a PAC does not cancel your contract-it only does that if you use it. After 30 days it will expire and your contract continues.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • My 24 month contract with O2 finishes at the end of Feb 2011 but I want to cancel it now so I can get a new phone with a different provider. What steps do I need to take? Do I need to request a PAC code?

Thanks,
    Sam :)
  • gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    samwhocan wrote: »
    My 24 month contract with O2 finishes at the end of Feb 2011 but I want to cancel it now so I can get a new phone with a different provider. What steps do I need to take? Do I need to request a PAC code?

Thanks,
    Sam :)

First contracts don't "end" you just pass the minimum term, after that it becomes a 30 day rolling contract.

If you DON'T see out that mimimum term you'll get an early termination fee, usually line rental x months left with a bit off as you don't pay VAT and a possible discount for paying in one go.

And you only need a PAC if you want to move you number.

If you just want to cancel (lose your number) write stating that you are giving 30 days notice that you wish to cancel. You also need to give a months notice to cancel.

Lets say your contract minimum term is up on the 20th of Feb you need to ensure they have that letter before the 20th of Jan. In it you state you want the contract to end the 20th of Feb. Use registered or special delivery so they can't say they never recieved the letter.

Leave it to the 30th of Jan and you'll have to pay extra to take it to the 30th of Feb due to the 30 days notice.

If you want to retain your number you need to ask for your PAC code. If you have not hit the mimimum they may ask for the full termination fee up front as once you use the PAC your account will close. Once you get the PAC you have 30 days to use it. If you don't it becomes invalid, and you revert back to the existing contract you had.

Give the PAC code to your new supplier and they'll arrange the number porting.

Note: You generally CANNOT port to the same network, so you if you have seen a great deal as a new customer through a shop but the same phone as an upgrade is a worse deal then you cannot get that new customer deal and port the number to it. If you want to do that you need to port it to a PAYG sim on another network then port it back.
  • simax
    simax Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just a heads up to the previous post. O2 have a knack with early termination fees of not only charging VAT on an early termination, but also charging at the original tariff rate (so if you've moved from say O2 45 to 40 to 35, then you'll be charged at £45 for the months remaining).
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
  • gjchester wrote: »
    First contracts don't "end" you just pass the minimum term, after that it becomes a 30 day rolling contract.

If you just want to cancel (lose your number) write stating that you are giving 30 days notice that you wish to cancel. You also need to give a months notice to cancel.

Lets say your contract minimum term is up on the 20th of Feb you need to ensure they have that letter before the 20th of Jan. In it you state you want the contract to end the 20th of Feb. Use registered or special delivery so they can't say they never recieved the letter.

Leave it to the 30th of Jan and you'll have to pay extra to take it to the 30th of Feb due to the 30 days notice.

Thanks gjchester. Had no idea I'd have to write a letter! I won't be canceling early now. :(
  • Hi,

If you want to cancel account just call retentions team if you want to take your number with you ask for pac code only when you use it will your account close, so say your last day would have been for instance 30th of month and you use pac code with new provider on 15th you will still be charged up until the 30th if not used your account will remain open and you will continue to be charged for your line rental.

If you want to cancel account without taking number, all you need to do is give 30 days notice over the phone to advisor no need to write in, and yes you can take advisors name and ext number and where call centre situated, in any of these instances if you cancel early you will be charged the line rental you are currently on (not revert to original) for the remaining months in contract in FULL NO discounts given.

Regards :)
  • If you want to canx your o2 contract call: 0844 809 0202
  • Hi, I have an o mobile phone contract. I have about 12 months left. I'm paying £45-£50 a month, I would like a cheaper deal. Last time I terminated my contract I had to pay cancellation fee. Could someone please advice on the best way to lower my monthly payments. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure