What do I need to buy? is it called Surround Sound?

Hi

In our living room there is a distance of around 15ft between sofa and TV. This causes issues with kids playing in the middle or people talking in that you have to often turn the volume up really high.

I have spent a bit of time looking at what to buy and am a bit puzzled, mainly I think because a lot of the web pages I have read up on were created around 5 years and recommend getting a surround sound. However I also notice lately there is something called a sound bar.

I would be very very grateful if someone can narrow down the system or technology I need and then I can read up on the right thing to buy. So we are looking into getting sound to the back of the room, and if possible to improve the sound then I would be interested. Due to the work involved (i.e. hiding cables etc) I dearly want to get this right and future proof.

FYI - we have a 5 year old Sony TV and currently use a really old freesat sky box. We are hoping to purchase a Humax freesat in the near future.

Many Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Surround Sound throws "effects" around the room for a fully immersive experience. It's not what you need if you are simply struggling to hear dialogue.

From what you describe all you need is a more powerful sound system and a good quality sound bar would indeed meet your requirements..
  • Thanks see what you mean Monetineptitude.

However looking at retail sites, it appears Sound Bars sit next to the TV. Therefore I guess this will be help with better quality sound, but still will have to have the volume load to hear at back of the room?
  • [Deleted User]
    However looking at retail sites, it appears Sound Bars sit next to the TV. Therefore I guess this will be help with better quality sound, but still will have to have the volume load to hear at back of the room?
    The rear speakers in a surround sound system carry only the effects and not the dialogue you are struggling to hear.

I can't think of any system which provides all the sound in various parts of the room. The main sound channels are always at the front near the TV.
  • If you merely want sound at the rear and front of the room then all you need is a stereo amplifier capable of driving two pairs of speakers at the same time - such as the Pioneer A10 - here http://www.richersounds.com/product/amplifiers-receivers/pioneer/a10/pion-a10-blk amongst many others. If the volume at the front of the room from the TV is enough then any stereo amplifier driving one pair of speakers at the rear would also work.
  • Big_Tree
    Big_Tree Posts: 241 Forumite
    http://www.whathifi.com/review/sony-bdv-n590

Widely regarded as one of the best systems around for not a lot of money, it's going for £250 on pixmania.co.uk
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • http://www.whathifi.com/review/sony-bdv-n590

Widely regarded as one of the best systems around for not a lot of money, it's going for £250 on pixmania.co.uk
    You obviously did not bother reading all the thread - a surround system is NOT going to solve the OP's problem of not being able to hear front speakers except at high volume.
  • corbyboy
    corbyboy Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    If the problem is people making noise then surely the only way to hear is to increase the volume. Whether you buy a soundbar or just turn the volume up on the TV, what's the difference?
  • [Deleted User]
    corbyboy wrote: »
    If the problem is people making noise then surely the only way to hear is to increase the volume. Whether you buy a soundbar or just turn the volume up on the TV, what's the difference?
    My thoughts too, to be honest.
  • Kurtis_Blue
    Kurtis_Blue Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    corbyboy wrote: »

That's why the link to a half decent AV or stereo amp was more apt, a sound bar is not going to cut it.
    Place and aim speakers where required, tune frequencies for speech, job done.

Or a nice set of wireless noise cancelling headphones.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Your speakers on your TV won't go loud enough. Solutions:
    Turn the people down
    Sit closer to the TV
    Add something louder to the TV
    Use headphones
    Your Freeview box might have digital optical out, and more likely stereo phono. These can be plugged into an amplifier, or any audio equipment you have in the house, that can take an input. If you're planning on getting a Freesat box, you can plan for digital surround sound, and buy something (either a surround sound amp, or a soundbar) that takes optical digital). This could possibly get you Dolby Digital 5.1 sound for some programmes (especially films, sports and Jools Holland!).
    As has been pointed out, however, surround sound puts you in the MIDDLE of the sound. If someone is on the screen talking, the sound will come from there. What comes from the rear, will be mostly effects from the rear, NOT dialogue.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure