implications of full time college course on ESA?

i might have posted this elsewhere, can't remember (my head is a bit mixed up right now).

are there any limints on esa in regards to studying at college full time? can't find any info on it.

really wanted to do a graphic design course but there are only full time courses. I know this would screw up HB/CTB (and that alone is probably enough for me not to do it).

why can't things be simple? i thought it would be something which would help with my recovery but it looks like (unless someone can tell me otherwise) it wont happen.

sorry this isn't making any sense. today is a bad day and im struggling to type through tears :(:o

Comments

• Gemmzie
    Gemmzie Posts: 14,876 Forumite
    Do you get contributions-based ESA? Do you get DLA?
    Can I study and claim ESA?

You can have 'limited capability for work' but still be able to study because:
    • Studying tends to be flexible and you have more control over your timetable
    • Colleges and universities will provide you with support on the course
    • Academic tasks are less physical
    • There is generally less pressure
    However there are some things to be aware of:
    • If you get contribution-based ESA, you can study part-time or full-time. However if you are under 19 the 'Youth Rules' only allow you to study up to 21 hours per week.
    • Full-time students can only get income-related ESA if they receive disability living allowance (DLA).
    • If you study part-time it won't affect your claim for income-related ESA.
    How do student loans affect income-based ESA?

If you're eligible for a higher education maintenance loan, the Jobcentre will consider some of it as income. The benefit rules allow you a small amount for books and equipment, and you can keep £10 per week towards your living costs. The summer holidays are not included when calculating your income from the loan.
    It can be complicated to work out the exact amount of ESA you'll get during term-time; we recommend you visit the Skill website for detailed examples.
    From: http://www.lifetracks.com/working/money/employment-and-support-allowance
    No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
  • Bethankim
    Bethankim Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    as long as your course does not exceed permitted, which are 16 hours you can do it. Im in the work related category on esa.

I start college in September, my course although stated as full time is 16 hours a week so is allowed. Its in my notes for support as a good option. I have been in touch with college and im getting a mental health support worker to enable me to go. (wll get weekly support)
    BR 2nd April 2009
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family