Swiching Sky Box off at Night?

Options

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you’ve got no recordings scheduled then I would unplug it.

Why ? It uses very little electricity and will take longer to boot up each time, as it downloads the latest epg (normally automatically done in the early hours ) which has a much longer list of items than Freeview or Freesat.

They are designed to be left on standby, as are most tvs, nowadays, so constant switching may increase wear and tear.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    Why ? It uses very little electricity and will take longer to boot up each time, as it downloads the latest epg (normally automatically done in the early hours ) which has a much longer list of items than Freeview or Freesat.

They are designed to be left on standby, as are most tvs, nowadays, so constant switching may increase wear and tear.
    wear and tear wouldn’t matter on a sky box as it would be replaced when broke.
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    Options

Sky Q maybe but you would have to threaten to leave Sky before they would consider replacing a HD box free of charge.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    with most devices turning them off an on repeatedly is a point of stress. It also won't be long until you forget to turn it back on and miss a recording.
    Sounds like a headache for little or no gain.
  • mobileron
    mobileron Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I spent years trying to stop her turning of the switches on 13amp socket, she thought it would stop electricity from escaping an d she is the one that went to UNI.

I ensured when she was recharging the smartphone every night,id tunr off the socket,she has now realised.
  • r2015
    r2015 Posts: 1,136 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    It uses very little electricity

Does it?

Mine consumes 45 watts every hour which is 394 kWh in a year for which Bulb charges me £53 which is the single most costly item that uses electricity.

Even my freezer costs less to run.
    over 73 but not over the hill.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    r2015 wrote: »
    Does it?

Mine consumes 45 watts every hour which is 394 kWh in a year for which Bulb charges me £53 which is the single most costly item that uses electricity.

Even my freezer costs less to run.

Not on standby overnight (not even close) which is what the thread is about.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

No it wouldn't. The Sky is equipment is yours, not leased, and the warranty lasts for 12m only. After that period you can blag a free repair by asking to leave-but it's not a contractual right.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    No it wouldn't. The Sky is equipment is yours, not leased, and the warranty lasts for 12m only. After that period you can blag a free repair by asking to leave-but it's not a contractual right.
    Yes but no one ever needs to pay for a repair so my original point stands.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    Options
    Yes but no one ever needs to pay for a repair so my original point stands.

Not everyone can blag a freebie. If you are 3 months into a 12month contract, they know that you can't afford to leave, because there will be a large penalty, so the 'winners' are those who have a rolling contract or whose minimum term is due to end soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure