It's not a lot, but it's enough

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,585 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Just read your diary and you seem pretty clued up for your age. My daughters are slightly older than you, late twenties and they moved into their own places at your age. We helped them with their deposit and they both spent time at home saving while we charged them minimal rent. What I said to them was to estimate what they would spend on mortgage, council tax, utilities and essential spends and save that over the year they lived at home to make sure they could live within that budget. It worked for them and might do for you too. I would suggest that now you know your budget do some research on how much you would have to pay for your essential bills and make sure you are putting at least that away every month.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Joey - I'll try and have some fun along the way.

ES - Thanks for stopping by. That's exacty what I am starting to do funnily enough. I've asked my friends who also live along what they spend on groceries per month along with other costs which I may also have such as line rental, broadband, TV etc. So I'm getting a clearer picture of true costs.
  • Hi Speky, I really like your list of goals for the year! You've clearly put a lot of thought in to them, and I can certainly see your determination to succeed, so I'm sure we all look forward to hearing about your progress. Have yourself another subscriber! :hello:
  • Hey Cool Runnings, thanks for stopping by.

I too look forward to letting you know how I get on. Gives me that extra bit of motivation.
  • First day back at work today but I'll enjoy getting back into a routine.

Today's my first day of moving onto a Ketogenic diet (basically avoiding most carbs) and all seems well so far. I've also arranged to have a date night with my gran tomorrow and the week after. Lastly, it's my dad's birthday next week so I've put time aside to go and see him with a little present I bought in the sales. 3 of my 2017 goals already well under way.

I've managed 2 NSD's so for this month however today won't be a 3rd as I've football tonight, £3.50. A low spend but annoying nonetheless.

I sent my old laptop and phone away to Music Magpie and they said if it met their expections then I'd receive a payment of over £140 - happy days. However, I got an email to say that neither the laptop or the phone was up to standard and the new offer is £60. Poppycock. I'll so no thanks and get them to send it back to me and look elsewhere. Nothing wrong with either of them.

Anyway, home time now and best dash as I've my friend who I car share with en route.
  • Yesterday was indeed a low spend day, £3.50.

My bank statement has finally caught up and to my amazement, my YNAB was bang on correct. Remember the works drinks I was told to put on my card and left me £100 short for this month? I got a note back to say it couldn't go through as expenses - boo!! But my bosses boss is going to transfer the cash to me personally tonight - yay!!

Played about with my budget for the remainder of this month and I'm looking good. I've an MOT on Saturday which is the only thing that can sprint a surprise on me, but bar that I'm happy.

Today will be a NSD for me as I am going on my first of my dinner dates with my gran. Looking forward to it.
  • That sounds like a very reasonable big boss to me - hooray! :j
    Hope you enjoy your dinner with your gran, what a lovely thing to do - it's important to make time for family.
  • Yeah CCL, I'm grateful he offered but I get the impression it was through gritted teeth tbh.

I'm now not long home from dinner with my gran. Had a lovely time and agreed to do the same next week too. I fear that since my granddad died a couple of years ago that she get's lonely and I know she enjoys the company. She genuinely my favourite person in the world and I told her that but she dismisses and tells me I'm 'havering'.
  • Morning all,

I had a nice weekend, I must admit.

On Friday I hosted the boys over for FIFA night, we ordered a takeaway and I did cave in and have a nibble.

My car was booked in for it’s MOT on Saturday and it’s not good news. Needs new rear brakes and the estimated cost is £250. I didn’t do much in the afternoon of Saturday however a friend came over and we chatted for a while which was nice. Next thing I know I am woken up at 4am with a knock on my front door and who is it? My ex. Drunk. The weather was horrid so I let her in, gave her a bottle of water and let her sleep in my bed while I slept in my brothers. I couldn’t make much sense of why she was here but I woke up in the morning and offered to make her breakfast but she just wanted to go so her friends came and picked her up. She complained that I wasn’t welcoming and that I wouldn’t give her a hug, which I thought was perfectly understandable given the circumstances.

Anyway, Sunday came and I visited my dad (on track with one of my goals for 2017) and on my return I had a text from her apologising. She then mentioned she accidently stole the back door key and she’d come round later to drop it off. When she did arrive, I again invited her in and talked for 5 minutes since we didn’t have a chance earlier that day. All wounds are mended and I’m confident nothing like that will happen again. Once she left I done lots of housework and was in bed for 9 and asleep for 10.

Dropped the car off this morning to get it’s repairs done and I’ll leave work early to collect it before the garage shuts.

Oh, also, my boss paid the expenses (just in time) so that’ll go towards the car repairs. I’ve juggled some things about on YNAB and paying it won’t be an issue at all.

Have a nice day everyone.
  • jvr
    jvr Posts: 426 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Oh that's an awkward situation! Very good of you to let her stay and hopefully she has learnt from it and can move on. People can do the daffdist (new word for you) things at the end of a relationship.
    annoying about you car but your so much more prepared for these things happening and that's the point.

Have a great day
    Debt: £14,000 now £2169
    Emergency Fund: 1000/ £1000
    :j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills