Missing address on Paypal payment

2»

Comments

• martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The trick is not to mention that it's for seller protection. Don't use the words scam or fraud. Just blame PayPal's terms and conditions.
    "I'm sorry, but as per PayPal's terms and conditions we can only ship to the address given on your PayPal payment." Then tell them you'll issue a full refund and they can pay you again once they've added their delivery address to PayPal. Make it sound like it's all out of your control, and they shouldn't get offended if they're a real customer.

Here's a thought, although not a nice one. You might think they're angry right now because they've paid you £2000 and you're saying you can't ship, and you might be right. You might be worried that you're going to lose a £2k sale, at a time when business is maybe a bit slow? But it's also a tactic used by scammers, to fluster or frighten you into doing what they want. Last time I had an attempted scam like this, the person told me that eBay would ban my company for not doing what they want. When I told them I'd already spoken to eBay, they stopped responding. Don't think of it as losing a 2k sale, think of it as avoiding a £2k theft!
    One problem with this, assuming that they are not scammers, is that the money they get back will be a fair bit less than they paid once paypal have done two currency conversions. They are not going to be happy I would imagine.
  • One problem with this, assuming that they are not scammers, is that the money they get back will be a fair bit less than they paid once paypal have done two currency conversions. They are not going to be happy I would imagine.

The solution to that would be to offer them the difference as a discount off the price, so for e.g. if the currency conversion fees are 5% offer them a 5% discount or partial refund to that amount. Probably worth it to keep the sale, and they should be happy with that if they're not a scammer. It's not a good enough reason to risk losing £2000 worth of stock by sending the goods without seller protection.
    Well informed on the subjects of sofas and wood furniture, and well opinionated on everything else :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure