PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

SDLT - Buy to Let for Bare Trustee of minor beneficiaries

Benzene
Benzene Posts: 18 Forumite
edited 24 June 2017 at 10:12AM in House buying, renting & selling
My wife is a full-time house wife and has no regular income.

She is currently planning to buy two small apartments, worth £50,000 each. She received gifts (worth £100k) from me over the past 15 years.

I own a house and we (including 2 minor children, aged 2 and 4) all live happily together. :)

She intends to open two bare trusts (for each child) and be the sole bare trustee. She would then buy two 'buy to let' apartments (i.e. £50,000 each on each of our minor child's name). Both minor children will be the beneficiaries and they do not own any other property.

Would she be paying 3% SDLT (stamp duty) on each property?

I do not think she should... Appreciate your thoughts...

Thanks in advance for your time!

PS. From the following reference, 5.7 on page 20 says:
A bare trustee purchaser is ignored for the purposes of determining whether a purchase is subject to the higher rates, the absolute beneficiary or beneficiaries are treated as the purchaser or purchasers.

Ref: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/570876/SDLT_Higher_rates_for_additional_properties.pdf

Comments

• ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,677
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    Why not speak to a tax advisor?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    you are a sophisticated investor clearly with money, so pay for professional advice
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Apart from the trust issues. What makes you think this is a good idea? You have these two properties in your children's names so who pays for the repairs when you have a tenant who has stopped paying rent the trustee or the children? The fact that the properties are only costing £50k each puts them in the bottom of the lettings market and so more likely to attract tenants who are going to stop paying rent. Good tenants are not going to be interested in properties that cost £50k. Have you looked at the Local Housing Allowance for your area to see if people claiming housing benefit or universal credit with get more rent? If they can they won't be interested in renting these properties either.

So what do the rules on trustees say about who pays for repairs on a property where no income is being received? Is the trustee personally liable?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,861
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    A bare trustee purchaser is ignored for the purposes of determining whether a purchase is subject to the higher rates, the absolute beneficiary or beneficiaries are treated as the purchaser or purchasers.

So the little children are the absolute beneficiaries. Do they intend to live in the property or let it? If letting it then they pay the higher sdlt.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 24 June 2017 at 2:30PM
    silvercar wrote: »
    So the little children are the absolute beneficiaries. Do they intend to live in the property or let it? If letting it then they pay the higher sdlt.
    ? not sure how many times this has been covered on here, but it's a lot.

Higher rate SDLT is not based on the use to which the property is put. It is not a tax on BTL!

it is based on whether the owner is buying an additional property or not
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I've learned a lot about property, tax, letting, conveyancing and related topics from haunting these forums over the years.

But I can't answer this one so suggest it is time for professional advice.

On the face of it, you appear to be right - the kids are the Beneficiaries and hence it's the number of properties they each own that matters.

But then, under 18s can't own property, so can they be 'Beneficiaries' in this context? I don't know.

Again, as Cakeguts suggests; are they genuine Beneficiaries in law if they don't/can't cover the costs as well as the income?

I suspect that if this were possible, 100s of BTL landlords would be putting their properties into their kids names not just for the SDLT advantages, but also for income tax purposes............

Any tax-lawyers reading this?
  • You need to contact a STEP qualified accountant/lawyer.
  • Benzene
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    Apart from the trust issues. What makes you think this is a good idea? You have these two properties in your children's names so who pays for the repairs when you have a tenant who has stopped paying rent the trustee or the children? The fact that the properties are only costing £50k each puts them in the bottom of the lettings market and so more likely to attract tenants who are going to stop paying rent. Good tenants are not going to be interested in properties that cost £50k. Have you looked at the Local Housing Allowance for your area to see if people claiming housing benefit or universal credit with get more rent? If they can they won't be interested in renting these properties either.

So what do the rules on trustees say about who pays for repairs on a property where no income is being received? Is the trustee personally liable?

The property is in the North East where the affordability is rock bottom anyways.

In regards to the liability... All the proeceed and reinvestment rights/ liabilities will be for the trustee...
  • Benzene
    G_M wrote: »
    I've learned a lot about property, tax, letting, conveyancing and related topics from haunting these forums over the years.

But I can't answer this one so suggest it is time for professional advice.

On the face of it, you appear to be right - the kids are the Beneficiaries and hence it's the number of properties they each own that matters.

But then, under 18s can't own property, so can they be 'Beneficiaries' in this context? I don't know.

Again, as Cakeguts suggests; are they genuine Beneficiaries in law if they don't/can't cover the costs as well as the income?

I suspect that if this were possible, 100s of BTL landlords would be putting their properties into their kids names not just for the SDLT advantages, but also for income tax purposes............

Any tax-lawyers reading this?

[url]Http://www.taxationweb.co.uk/forum/sdlt-charge-children-purchase-t50364.html[/url]

Came across this....
  • Benzene
    Interesting read.....

Bare trusts

This arises where the beneficiaries are absolutely entitled to the trust property, including where the beneficiary simply can’t own the legal title for some reason (such as age or disability). A “nominee purchaser” arrangement is also a bare trust. In these cases, HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) simply looks through the trust and treats the beneficiary as owning the property. So the surcharge will apply or not by reference to the position of the beneficiary.

Ref: http://www.mills-reeve.com/a-question-of-trust-sdlt-surcharge/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport