PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Making an offer on a 'To-Let' property (rather than 'For Sale' property)

2»

Comments

• AlexMac wrote: »
    Can't add to the above... but

Where I live there is such a shortage of sale properties that EAs leaflet us almost weekly, bragging that they've sold a property/ies in the street and begging for the chance to tempt you to sell with a valuation.

And I've heard of individuals leafleting a whole are, not just the BTL properties, with a similar request in case anyone's thinking of sellin but is too idle to pick up the phone to an EA...

Dunno how effective either tactic is...

But worth a try? Good luck. Our last two houses have been accidental discoveries - in an area or street, or of a type which were not really on our radar or within our search criterai...

... so maybe widen your horizons?

There isn't a shortage of properties for sale, but they're mostly leasehold or in very isolated areas with no transport at all. I was planning on leafleting a couple of streets we're very keen on, but I understand it's very unlikely!
  • ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks, that's really useful to know. For you personally, would you ever get to a stage where a lack of rental demand would lead you to sell, or would you simply keep lowering your rental demands until there was interest?

This has never happened and hopefully will not. My properties are geared toward the local market that has strong demand. They may look like they are empty for long periods because of the length of time they are advertised but actually they get snapped up quickly.
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    There isn't a shortage of properties for sale, but they're mostly leasehold or in very isolated areas with no transport at all. I was planning on leafleting a couple of streets we're very keen on, but I understand it's very unlikely!

It is definitely worth leafleting specific properties or streets you are interested in.

Lots of people on this forum have reported success in finding a property in this way if you do a search.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Don't bother putting leaflets through doors that are up for rental they might have tenants. Tenants won't pass the leaflet on to the landlord because that would mean that they would have to move so that would be a complete waste of time.
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    Don't bother putting leaflets through doors that are up for rental they might have tenants. Tenants won't pass the leaflet on to the landlord because that would mean that they would have to move so that would be a complete waste of time.

But they also might not have tenants, so it is worth doing just in case.
  • I've seen houses that have been up for sale a while but not sold advertised for rent, presumably because there​ hasn't been a high enough offer. So for those properties the owner would be likely to sell. Zoopla archive all the previous listings of a property, whether it was for sale or to let, so you could find out from there if it has previously been up for sale.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure