Weight loss

This may be a stupid question.

Are there any tablets from doctors or health shops that are available to lose waist and belly fat? Can’t seem to lose weight through walking or jogging.

Any advice please.

Thanks

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    No.

Try eating less.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    There are things available but they are not a miracle cure, can have lots of side effects and are not very pleasant to use.

A friend tried them a few years ago and stopped taking them after a week because they work by binding fat you eat so it passes through your system however it left her needing to wear sanitary towels every day as the oily residue was leaking out of her and it gave her diarrhoea, she stopped taking them the day she had an "accident" in work. She said if she was at home all day she may have struggled on for longer but they were no good for when she went out anywhere.
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    tazwhoever wrote: »
    Any advice please.
    Exercise makes one hungry and we eat more.

Two ways to lose weight apart from counting calories. First is low carb/high fat and the other is the exact opposite.

I lost over 60lbs using low carb/high fat a few years back. I cut out cakes, buns, sweets, bread and a lot of pasta, potatoes, rice and fruit. Eat fresh foods freshly cooked. My treats are 25gms of Aldi's 70% cocoa solid chocolate every day and a couple of glasses of wine with weekend dinners. I also do not worry about the occasional blowout. You will find that you tend to eat less after a couple of weeks as the body starts burning fat instead of carbs/sugar for energy. You will also realise that you don't get so hungry and can go longer without eating. There are calorie counting sites on the interweb.

Exercise:- I do 3 x 30 seconds flat out on a rowing machine four days a week taking a total of 12 minutes with getting breath back between bouts, and, "The Big Five" strength exercises from the book Body by Science. The rowing is for cardio and obviously the strength training is to build muscle as muscle takes more calories to keep up than fat. Because the time spent putting real effort in is so short at 30 minutes(ish) a week it doesn't affect hunger. If you've no kit at all, then there is always sprinting instead of the rowing I do and bodyweight exercises for muscle development. Being retired I can also afford time to walk the mile each way to the shops five days a week giving me two and a half hours of gentle exercise.

Books I recommend:- Perfect Health Diet - Paul & Shou-Ching Jaminet, The Paleo Solution - Robb Wolf, The New Primal Blueprint - Mark Sisson and Death by Food Pyramid - Denise Minger. Body by Science is written by Dr Doug McGuff.

I hope my experience helps.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • analyticalglory
    analyticalglory Posts: 17 Forumite
    edited 18 March 2017 at 1:31PM
    Eat less while you're exercising. You lose weight for sure. Good luck!
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    No.

Try eating less.

It really is not as easy as that, because everyone is different. I have worked with several people in the past, who take no exercise, eat and drink to excess, but are as slim as rakes.
    Even when I was competing at various sports at a high level, I never had a six pack, and very often had some belly fat. It never stopped me running marathons or cycling 100 miles in one go.
  • fireblade28
    fireblade28 Posts: 147 Forumite
    Thing is most people vastly underestimate their calorie intake. Exercise also doesn't help much in terms of losing fat.

Think about it. Say you need roughly 2000 calories a day and to lose 1lb of fat it is approx a defecit of 3000-4000 calories a week to lose 1lb (There's been many arguments about the exact value but it's a decent estimate). So you start by eating 500 less calories a day. In 7 days your defecit is 3500 and you have lost weight. Let's say you overeat by 200 calories a day so you are having 1700 instead. Now your defecit is only 2500 a week which is only about 2/3rds a pound of fat. So you don't notice a difference and then binge eat an extra 1000 calories at the weekend. Game over.

On the exercise thing you might be able to burn 200 calories in an hour,maybe 300 if you are average. You do this 3 times a week and your defecit is only 900. You won't really notice you are losing weight and if you overeat by only 600-900 calories you have lost your defecit and won't lose weight.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    andygb wrote: »
    It really is not as easy as that, because everyone is different. I have worked with several people in the past, who take no exercise, eat and drink to excess, but are as slim as rakes.
    Even when I was competing at various sports at a high level, I never had a six pack, and very often had some belly fat. It never stopped me running marathons or cycling 100 miles in one go.

The OP asked if there were any pills available that would remove waist and belly fat. As far as I am aware there isn't. Hence my reply "No".

The OP has tried exercise and that hasn't had the desired effect so I suggested they try eating less. I didn't say it was guaranteed to work.

For many (most?) people though, it does.
  • tazwhoever wrote: »
    This may be a stupid question.

Can’t seem to lose weight through walking or jogging.

Same here, 3 months walking everyday combined with occasional at home exercise DVD has only seem me lose a stone so far, but I have felt my body shape change.
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Scrap cardio, lift weights ... way better for loss
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Scrap cardio, lift weights ... way better for loss

Oh & with heavy weight lifting, you continue to burn calories after the session, unlike cardio which stops when you do x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure