NST Muddy March Marathon

Options

Comments

• Calling14
    Calling14 Posts: 3,498 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sorry didn't post yesterday well did but it got eaten again. Second Friday on the trot.
    Spent yesterday dentist £43 should get it back hopefully with ins I have in next few weeks.
    Popped into local country Fayre which was by dentists oops lemon curd and lemon cake bought.

Today a SFD went for an early am walk and then kids cinema with Gks and Dd she paid. Good Disney film with strong female character Moana, quite fun and baby was quiet throughout.

Such a relief when gks go, Love them to death but played board games, done puppet shows all afternoon and emptied my food cupboards.

Grateful fun day but happy to chill with wine now. Short post in case it disappears again
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Now £0 Finally Debt FreeMortgage free Oct 2019:)EFund/savings £25000 10/11/22
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I was a little bit fed up yesterday. Felt like the more I tried to prepare and plan, the more life got in the way. Unhappy at being ill again.

Woke early today with my positive hat on - I said before Christmas that in addition to my gratitudes I was going to 'welcome the day' each morning. It took a while to establish, at first there were days when I had to have a little think and ease my way into the day but now it is automatic. Start the day on a positive note.

Cough and sore throat are still here, not worse but not better (had cough medicine and 2 small spoonfuls of ice cream very early as I forgot last night). Started plodding so wiped counter top, sink and toilet in bathroom, let old bathwater out, rinsed bath and ran a fresh bath; threw more washing downstairs, emptied washer, swapped dried things on radiator for wet ones, remainder of washing into basket and dirty stuff in the machine; loads of recycling (cans and plastic bottles) gathered rinsed and put in brown bin; all the plates, bowls and cutlery I could find washed and left to dry; had bath and crawled back onto the bed.

I had opened the curtains so noticed when the sun broke through the bank of clouds. So lovely that I decided to go for a walk. Went on the canal bank, over the bridge and onto the country park. I have been out of the house for over 3 and a quarter hours (did lots of sit downs). Saw a few joggers, quite a lot of cyclists and about a hundred dogs with assorted humans.

Lots of cowslips and tiny daffs, flowering shrubs and trees just blosoming. first bird hide had been reduced to a screen - no roof and no bench to sit on - but the next two were intact. From the large hide I saw a pair of herons, lots of moorhens and a pure white (might have been albino) bird. Not sure if it was a baby heron (wading along with its legs submerged) or a moorhen type scuttking across one of the small raised islands. It was alone but none of the other birds attacked it.

The other hide has the feeding stations for all the tiny birds plus a pair of mallards and some small wading birds (very funny walk) and a stray grey squirrel playing amongst them. Reading through the list in the information centre I think I saw several typs of 'chats' (stone-, win-), wagtails (pied, various colours) and t i t s (censor objected to p u s s y willow the other day) and a robin and a black bird (but again the smalest specimins I have seen. At first I didn't see some of the birds. Then you notice that the bark on the ground is moving and there are actually 7 differently marked tiny birds in all shades of brown (and multiple other colours too).

There was some sort of run on (wondered at the absense of golfers). First of all some elderly women (hard to judge because I still only have 'badger bits' of grey hair, nne years after my hairdresser said that I could expect to be 75% grey (at 50) so women with grey or white hair look old to me - could be my age or younger. Think they were the tail end of the women runners (tired as I was, I could still have outpaced them walking) and then the men started to appear.

Watched for a while then went to use the toilets in the information centre, found a banch and sat to drink my water and my soft roll with low fat cheese spread ignoring the ice cream van, chip van and 'donut' van (last was easy as I don't like them).

Cautiously made my way home - thought I might have to walk into a barrage of runners but the path I used to use has been extended a little (I used to sneak round the edge of the putting green, through some trees and down and up a small incline which was dry in summer but not all year round). The bit off the canal bank was all the way round the outside of an 18 hole golf course - not in a straight line, to give some idea of how far it was.

Got a stitch on the way back but decided not to give in by trying to catch the bus (by crossing over the by-pass) but plodded on. So one well -earned exercise gold star. lovely weather most of the time but it started to rain as I got back to the canal bank (saw 6 swans) and a lot of the way was muddy edging into boggy and marshy at times and my right wellie is not completely waterproof.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • indigowarrior
    Options
    Sounds like a busy day Mothernerd. Today was a spend day and a silly one at that. However, we got three hours of exercise in. I havent rung anyone I love as I with my girls all day.
    No Spend November 2/15 and SPC 134
  • mrshubbard
    mrshubbard Posts: 176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There's a wetlands near us which is brilliant for seeing all sorts of birds, there's something very peaceful about them. Till little man starts yelling COME BACK LITTLE BIRD, I HAVE FOOD!!!!!! at the top of his lungs :)

Well done for persevering Mothernerd. I hate wet feet. They're not cheap but I'd thoroughly recommend sealskin socks ( brand name, not advocating seal clubbing :)) really waterproof and breathable too plus I think they have a 10 year warranty, used to anyway, if they start leaking. They do hats, gloves, baseball caps, all sorts of clothing.
    1 debt vs 100 days -
    Debtfree by Xmas
    NST - 1/18 NSDs £54/£250 food 0/£60spends
    Debts - CC1-[STRIKE]£4438.89[/STRIKE] £4329.82 CC2-[STRIKE]4560.38[/STRIKE] £3672.52 CC3-[STRIKE]£10,326[/STRIKE]£10,155.85 CC4 - [STRIKE]£3286[/STRIKE]
  • crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    So much for my quiet day - ended up being out from 1030 till 6. :eek:
    Still managed a nsd. Went to see bestie for a couple of hours, then took ds to football, then went tutoring. It's been a long old day.
    I'm in my jammies now and plan to stay in them for the next 36 hours or so... :p
  • mothernerd
    Options
    indigowarrior enjoy your holiday.

misstara love the MMM thread.

Lauralozzle yum to hm sauces.

XSpender I haven't got the eating part right yet either.

SkintTeacher happy to hear the little one is recovering.

Greent excellent work out.

Toni'sfriend hugs sorry about your brother.

mrshubbard enjoy your anniversary meal and the owl show.

calliing lovely to see them, lovely to see them go.

ccl excellent jammie plan.

Replies are short because this is the revised version.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
  • mothernerd
    edited 4 March 2017 at 10:28PM
    Options
    Some plodding domestic stuff, lots of fresh air and exercise.

Your lists of basic skills have got me thinking and remembering. This is mainly as a result of years of extreme poverty (necessity being ....) but I have done quite a lot and been doing it for a long time.

As a child I remember endless sandpapering of old, ugly (but well made) furniture and then painting it. I used to mix cement etc for my dad - he probably thought it was a boy's job but I was the one who would measure accurately and mix properly. Started helping my mother with painting and decorating from the age of 11 (ie doing 50% or more of the work).

I am a self-taught cook. My mother was a bad cook and has only really learned since we all left home (and it's all jars and packets). She tried to tell us that toast was supposed to be black and sausages pink and black stripes or half and half. I brought a book from the library and taught myself to grill sausages and do baked potatoes when I was eight.

My mother can bake - worked in a bakery from leaving school until my brother was born (when I was 2). When it was my baby brother's Christening, dad went off to the pub, leaving her to do the catering so I was drafted in to help. I was so tiny she stood me on a chair so that I could reach the table. She made wedding cakes to make extra money and I mixed the fruit. On Sundays, to make her meagre budget go further, we made plate custard, jam tart, fairy cakes, jelly and singing lily for during the week. We did the catering for many events including my 21st and my wedding (55 in the wedding party, 300 in the evening). I can also cut wedding cake properly. I don't like fruit cake so haven't done a lot of celebration cakes since helping out at school events (would make several small Christmas cakes). I can ice with royal icing (spreading and smoothing not the roll out stuff they use now) and make beautiful icing roses (did paper ones first as gifts for grandparents and others).

I'm a whizz with flat pack furniture, again starting as a teenager helping mum put her prized larder unit together, then doing my own and the for the boys (built some shelves when I was working in a bookshop, I was more confident than the boy I was working with). I extended the life of my first 'bought' kitchen by painting and stencilling all the doors and making short curtains to cover the gaps where there were no doors anymore. My current kitchen (and that at my dad's old house) was put together one unit at a time, after finishing work and the 'new' fitted kitchen at the house I have sold cost £500 for an assortment of ebay finds and labour for Mr and Mrs Builder (3 of us put it in over a weekend - lasttime I was able to climb on a worktop).

I've taken out old fireplaces (1930s ones not Victorian), knocked down pantries and a bedroom wall (15' x 9'), not great at plastering but have done patches up to a couple of square metres, rebuilt the back garden wall (not beautiful but still standing after 20 years), built raised beds with cobble walls, made a garden 'panel' from recycled wall (4" x 4" posts then diagonal slats to fill the space - had some help on joining the longer pieces).

Made a bed smaller by replacing the old iron frame with a wooden board I cut to size, mattress made to fit (from someone's old caravan cushions, encased in denim and cotton drill), made sonic the hedgehog stencil and painted Sonic onto the headboard, peg rail made from old skirting boards.

Mum always did my kitchen tiling but she probably put me off tiling - a plumber friend gave her a few mosiac tiles left over from a job. I helped her tile the back board and base of a fire surround with tiny tiny tiles. When he came again, he told her she should have put the tile cement on, laid the whole 12" tile on to the cement, pressed it in and when dry soaked off the backing paper (not laid each tiny tile individually).

Sewing - made clothes for my Sindy doll and my brother's teddy, from scraps when I was about eight. Mum made most of my clothes (odd cast offs from my cousins, my precious one and only pair of jeans from her male cousin) until I was 15. She wasn't very good at trousers - made a couple of pairs for herself which weren't right but as the fashion was for longish tunic tops the mistakes were hidden. She was supposed to be making me some cord trousers. She bought jumbo cord and I looked like a brown bear - shaggy and huge (I was thin as a lath at the time). So no more clothes from mum.

Started to sew my own when I was 17 (made a squre neck button through blouse with lace inserts for my cousin's wedding - mum said I could not have picked a more difficult pattern if I'd tried) and never really looked back. Made all my own clothes, would go and draw something in a shop, then come back and make my own pattern. Bought three bolts of cloth when I first bought this house (early 1980s) and some more fabric when I was expecting DS1 (1984) and those curtains were in regular use up to within the last ten years.

When my husband was made redundant (when DS2 was 4 months old) I made 4 curtains + 4 linings for each window (as good as double glazing). We were short on sheets so I used some heavy white cotton drill - but it was only 36" wide. Cut strips off the bottoms of the curtains (moved from downstairs to lower ceiling upstairs), attached them to each side to make bits for tucking in.

Going to stop now. Feeling better about myself. I have made mistakes and don't do things perfectly but a bit of thinking and applying logic and taking things one step at a time (and pray if you ever have to cut through an electric cable, even though you know you turned off the electric supply) you can fix (if only temporarily) almost anything.

Nowadays I am limited by the weight of things and have to pick days I am prepared to go up step-ladders.

Today I am grateful for a lovely walk, for lots of friendly dogs (and a young man who admired my panda hat) and for lots of beautiful birds.
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Today I am grateful for getting an NSD on a saturday, for dd's confidence about her forthcoming dance exams, for warm buses, for dd's wonderful garb for this afternoon's party, for getting a lovely hot bath, for epsom salts relieving a little of my very hurty muscles, for being able to do a workout that resulted in the aforementioned aches, for the cherry blossom starting to appear, for inspiring diaries to read on mse, for a nice £48 back from the dvla.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • swimminginaseaofdebt
    swimminginaseaofdebt Posts: 942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 March 2017 at 12:06AM
    Options
    U : Use it or Lose it - I'm going to start a new book this evening (as soon as I get off MSE). Have also hunted out a recipe for slow cooker lasagna which I'll cook nice week. I love lasagna and as I usually only cook for myself I can get a few fair portions out of it.
    D: Debt free date & D: Debt/Savings first - Hit the usual survey sites today and cashed out £4.96 which is now sitting in my Paypal ready to be paid towards the credit card some time this month. Have also ordered a £10 voucher from Valued Opinions for a supermarket. When I use this I will transfer the money I have saved towards my debt instead.
    Y: Your budget - Is looking good. I had £20 to spend for entertainment this week, ended up only spending £6 so I've put the leftovers into my sealed pot.
    M: Monitor Goals - Spreadsheet updated today.
    A: Avoid Takeaways - Was craving a cheeseburger this evening but I resisted.
    A: Attend regularly - I'm here for the fourth day in a row, must keep it up.
    H: Health - Ate a proper lunch today so that was a plus. However I also demolished a sharing bag of Maltesers and white chocolate buttons.
    O: Outside - Was a lazy mare and stayed indoors today.
    N: NSDs - Had my 3rd NSD of the month.
    VSPC 2019 #10 - £168.80/£100 VSPC 2020 #4 - £262.03/£200 VSPC 2021 #9 - £242.88/£200 VSPC 2022 #3 - £188.03/£200 VSPC 2023 #7 - £0/£200
  • abundant1972
    abundant1972 Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Arrggh. This is Saturday's check in! I'm a little tardy!

Yesterday I was grateful for:
    • Some sunshine in between showers so I could go for a walk
    • A phone call to my parents
    • A quiet house - took over the kitchen!
    Yesterday = NSD number 3

I will check in more fully later today when I've slept... Yesterday's use it or lose it was a tricky one... Skills I have... I guess I'm a good listener... though I'm not sure that lends itself to survival haha. I know!! I am organised and methodical. When I apply those skills I can work wonders!!!

21 Day Challenge - I told my parents I love them both :)
    DFD = August 2027 @ £250/month
    Follow your heart & be true to yourself always
    My life is full of abundance and prosperity
    NST Feb: Food & Spends = £216.51 / £290.00 NSD = 1 /15
    Be kind - Eat well - Exercise - Be mindful
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts