MBNA/PRAGroup - Partial Payment/Fully Satisfied

Good afternoon all.

I'm having a bit of a nightmare trying to work out what to do with some old debt from 2014 that I've had, and how to go about sorting it.

The total amount of debt is £2402.93.

They have offered settlement payments of either:

1.) One off Payment: £841.03
2.) Three monthly payments of £283.13 - Totalling £849.39
3.) Six monthly payments of £142.63 (Totalling £855.78)

Asides from option 1, the other two are definitely within my budget.

My question is; they've said if i take 'advantage' of one of the above options that it'll be marked on my credit file as 'partially settled'.

Myself and partner are hoping to go for a mortgage in the next few years so obviously i'm guessing that will have a fairly big impact on getting one.

What would everyone recommend i do? Is it common practice to go back to these companies negotiating a settlement agreement that once done they will mark it as satisfied.
Or is literally the only option to pay the nearly £2500 to get that option?

Apologies for all the questions and many thanks in advance for any advice that's given.

Comments

• Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    If you want it marked as settled the only way to do that is to pay the full £2402.93. Otherwise, everything else will just be marked as partially settled, because that is the truth, the debt was partially settled.

Yes it will have an impact on your future mortgage application because some lenders whilst they will lend to people with defaults, often require the default to have been satisfied and not partially satisfied to meet their requirements.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • Thanks Candyapple.

Reason I asked is because I've seen template letters on these forums that can be sent to companies offering settlements of around 50% of the full debt but then asking them to mark it as satisfied.

I must've been mistaken.!
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,870 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    MCJS wrote: »
    Thanks Candyapple.

Reason I asked is because I've seen template letters on these forums that can be sent to companies offering settlements of around 50% of the full debt but then asking them to mark it as satisfied.

I must've been mistaken.!

When was it defaulted ?

Six years after that date, it will drop off your file anyway.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • sourcrates wrote: »
    When was it defaulted ?

Six years after that date, it will drop off your file anyway.

Looks like 2014 - and if payment plans have been discussed does this not count as acknowledgement of the debt?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,870 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 5 February 2018 at 5:53PM
    !!! wrote: »
    Looks like 2014 - and if payment plans have been discussed does this not count as acknowledgement of the debt?

Only written comms or payments count as acknowledgement.

I was thinking more from the point of view of obtaining a mortgage than of it been statute barred.

If its gone from his file before he applies, then it wont affect him.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Thanks for all of the replies.

There hasn't been any or written comms or payments since 2014.

Apologies if i'm reading the above incorrectly but would the advice be to 'ignore' it?

Am i not at risk of them issuing a CCJ? Or because they haven't issued one since the debt existed in 2014 the chances of them sending one are minimal?

Thanks again.
  • They could issue a CCJ right up until the 6 year mark - then starts the 6 year process all over again
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    MCJS wrote: »
    Thanks for all of the replies.

There hasn't been any or written comms or payments since 2014.

Apologies if i'm reading the above incorrectly but would the advice be to 'ignore' it?

Am i not at risk of them issuing a CCJ? Or because they haven't issued one since the debt existed in 2014 the chances of them sending one are minimal?

Thanks again.

Yes you are. Don't be fooled by thinking 4 years have gone by and nothing has happened, I've read threads where people have had a CCJ issued to them 6 months from the 6 year deadline, thus in turn ruining their history for another 6 years. Even for paltry sums less than £500. Don't ignore your debts.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • I gathered that was the case, i was just trying to understand. Thank you all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure