Dumping Tescos For Morrisons-Any Tips?

Finally given up totally with Tescos - first it was no more value t-roll packs,then no decent own brand dishwasher powder,then a huge hike in delivery prices,then exorbitant corner shops,then no taking coupons,then silly big pack deals that weren't cheaper so have been shopping at Morrisons.

Suppose I'll get used to a whole new strategy now though - any seasoned Morrisons shoppers with tips? So far I like their value cereal bars,opaque tights,value beans but the kids tell me the crisps aren't great.

Comments

• geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    any seasoned Morrisons shoppers with tips?

Yes, Morrisons are just as bad as any other supermarket, so keep your wits about you.

Items that cost a £1 suddenly going up to £2.50 and BOGOF.
    None offer, but similar, items mixed in with offers.
    Offer signs up but completely different items on the shelf.
    If they run out of something they put a similar, but more expensive item in it's place, never a cheaper one!
    Items doubling in price for a couple of days, then being "reduced" to half price.

etc. etc.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    I don't like the fresh fruit and veg in Morrisons, it is never very fresh and always seems to go off, go scabby, wilt, and look tired after a couple of days, whereas Tesco's produce is ok to eat a week or more after the sell by date. I use all the supermarkets, am not loyal to any of them, but then I don't shop online.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • cornishlady
    cornishlady Posts: 1,446
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    new offers start on a Monday so go early in the week incase stock aren't brilliant.i dont find the F&V too bad usually only have room to store for a week and its usually been eaten by then anyway
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Ilona wrote: »
    I don't like the fresh fruit and veg in Morrisons, it is never very fresh and always seems to go off, go scabby, wilt, and look tired after a couple of days,

I find the opposite, their f&v lasts for ages. I do Taste Radar and £25 per month is a lot of f&v for just me. It often gets left for 3 or 3 weeks before eating and it's still ok.

The only stuff I don't buy is ripen at home stuff like peaches, I find they are too hard to eat on the day, and 3 days later they are rotting on the inside!
  • Yes, Morrisons are just as bad as any other supermarket, so keep your wits about you.

Items that cost a £1 suddenly going up to £2.50 and BOGOF.
    None offer, but similar, items mixed in with offers.
    Offer signs up but completely different items on the shelf.
    If they run out of something they put a similar, but more expensive item in it's place, never a cheaper one!
    Items doubling in price for a couple of days, then being "reduced" to half price.

etc. etc.

omg - thanks, i ll bring the calculator
  • Don't shop at just one supermarket. I've been shopping at Morrison for years. They have annoying ways as well.
    I used to do about 80% of my weekly shop there, but now only do about 15%.

1st rule is to always check your reciept before you leave. So often I have found offer items being charged at full price at the till. They have another nasty habbit of stocking a space with a different item than the one that's on offer. This seems to happen when the offer item has run out, so instead of leaving a gap they just put something else in there. If you don't have your witts about you, you could pay more than you wanted to.

For the last 4 years, with money so tight, I work to a rule.
    I do a stock check at home and write a list. I then go online to check store prices of everything I need from lots of different stores and write another list accordingly. I then shop for my items from the numerous stores, where I already know the best prices are. Don't forget discount stores like Poundland. I save a lot of money shopping this way. Most of my food shopping now comes from Aldi & Lidl. They have great offers which change every week. I find Aldi the best for freshness, quality, price and large stocks of offer items, (unlike the the big supermarkets).

I hope this helps and happy shopping.
  • room154 wrote: »
    Don't shop at just one supermarket. I've been shopping at Morrison for years. They have annoying ways as well.
    I used to do about 80% of my weekly shop there, but now only do about 15%.

1st rule is to always check your reciept before you leave. So often I have found offer items being charged at full price at the till. They have another nasty habbit of stocking a space with a different item than the one that's on offer. This seems to happen when the offer item has run out, so instead of leaving a gap they just put something else in there. If you don't have your witts about you, you could pay more than you wanted to.

For the last 4 years, with money so tight, I work to a rule.
    I do a stock check at home and write a list. I then go online to check store prices of everything I need from lots of different stores and write another list accordingly. I then shop for my items from the numerous stores, where I already know the best prices are. Don't forget discount stores like Poundland. I save a lot of money shopping this way. Most of my food shopping now comes from Aldi & Lidl. They have great offers which change every week. I find Aldi the best for freshness, quality, price and large stocks of offer items, (unlike the the big supermarkets).

I hope this helps and happy shopping.

Yes it does help ,thanks. Those are the same tricks the cop use too! Not driving off til I check my receipt then!!
  • flippin36
    flippin36 Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    Ilona wrote: »
    I don't like the fresh fruit and veg in Morrisons, it is never very fresh and always seems to go off, go scabby, wilt, and look tired after a couple of days, whereas Tesco's produce is ok to eat a week or more after the sell by date. I use all the supermarkets, am not loyal to any of them, but then I don't shop online.
    Ilona

Yes I agee. It may differ from store to store but my Morries fresh f&v is definitely way past its best. I am quick to check veg for freezing when bought from Morr. Aldi however seems to last a good week before turning - no problems. Prices are similar if not cheaper. Sainsbugs very good even on yellow sticker.
  • Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    I've recently ditched ASDA as it's all carby ready meals now and prepackaged veg. Am now going to Morrisons for fish, Lidl for veg, deli stuff and washing powder. Poundland/99p Stores for dog food. Cook from scratch so don't buy many ready made products. I check offers before setting off though.

I'd recommend Morrisons for fish and also the butchery section. They had some excellent Cornish lemon sole, Gressingham duck legs and British lamb chops recently.
  • rednca
    rednca Posts: 26 Forumite
    I think you have to have your wits about you. All supermarkets are in the business to make as big a profit as they can but I agree that Tesco may be passing it's sell by date. Profits dropped as strategies changed. They dumped the double clubcard points, points went from 4 to 3 times face value and a recent change to ferries, which I use mean I cannot use points to pay the full amount. But worst of all, and Tesco has been doing this in Ireland for years is the "Big price drop"...I know my prices and compare weekly. Example: 4 individual custard pots (Ambrosia) were £1.25. A few months ago they were in the above promotion at £1. A few weeks later they retailed for £1.48. I buy mine (different brand) next door at Aldi for 99p. Tesco, I'm watching and you haven't fooled me. Add bread, carrots, mini raisin packs....for starters....my loyalty is to number 1...my family.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure