Your "Free Sample" from Silkies (not really)

Comments

• HLK
    HLK Posts: 978 Forumite
    I got caught with this today, I'm normally so thorough with small print .. no mention of how to return the items if you don't want them, like you'd get with a respectable mail order company. So they are at it. Anyway no phone number, no email address..

Just popped off an email, quoting the Unsolicited Goods Act. I hope that's the end of it..
    HLK

"Karma - it's a wonderful thing" - Just ask Earl!
  • Aiadi
    Aiadi Posts: 1,840 Forumite
    I wish I'd seen this post before. I just received my free pair of tights (I got a card in the post about a month ago, filled it in and posted it to get the free pair of tights.) I ALWAYS read the small print- and I did on this occasion when I filled in the request for the free tights- There was NOTHING about setting up an account or receiving further tights that I'd have to pay for.

So today I received the free pair and then read the leaflet that came with it and it said, I quote:

'In about four weeks you'll receive a FREE PAIR of Silkies trouser socks along with three pairs of tights in the same style, size and shade as the enclosed FREE pair. I'll also include details of all tights, slimming shorts, socks and knee-hi styles you can try- all at incredible member savings of up to 50% OFF our retail prices'.

So by asking for the free pair of tights and not contacting them after you receive them they would send you 3 further pairs of tights and an invoice charging for them. I can't believe the slyness of this. I wouldn't have a problem if this was mentioned in the original card I completed and posted- it's the fact NONE of this was mentioned at the time I requested the free pair. And I am one of those people that ALWAYS reads every single bit of small print, I feel sorry for older people who are more vulnerable, maybe having visual problems and not used to this sort of scam, who would easily fall into this trap.
    Do I want it? ......Do I need it? ......What would happen if I don't buy it??????
  • LouLou
    LouLou Posts: 2,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    A Silkies package got delivered to my mum's under my name today. I swear I've never heard of them, or applied for any free samples, so I'm absolutely stumped.

I've sent them an email, and it's getting posted straight back. But how on earth did they get my details? I'd use my own address if I wanted any free samples.
  • V_Chic_Chick
    V_Chic_Chick Posts: 2,441 Forumite
    I got invoiced today for three pairs of tights that I did not want. I, like one of the other posters received a postcard in the mail, and replied to it, and I always, always read the small print.

I have sent the following email:

Reference No: *********
    Name: Mrs H ***

I have today received unsolicited goods. They are:
    1. Free Sample of Silkies trouser socks.
    2. 3 pairs of Silkies ultra control top in small, jet black.

Under the Unsolicited Goods Act 1971, you have one month (until 16/2/07) to recover these goods. Please telephone me at home on ***** ****** so that we can arrange a mutually convenient time for you to recover the goods.
  • I got invoiced today for three pairs of tights that I did not want. I, like one of the other posters received a postcard in the mail, and replied to it, and I always, always read the small print.

I have sent the following email:

Reference No: *********
    Name: Mrs H ***

I have today received unsolicited goods. They are:
    1. Free Sample of Silkies trouser socks.
    2. 3 pairs of Silkies ultra control top in small, jet black.

Under the Unsolicited Goods Act 1971, you have one month (until 16/2/07) to recover these goods. Please telephone me at home on ***** ****** so that we can arrange a mutually convenient time for you to recover the goods.

V Chic Chick, could you please post on here or PM me with the email address you used to send this email. I too sent off at the end of last year for a free pair of tights, and received 3 more pairs and the free ones today and they want £14.50 for them!

Blood donations to date: 10 | Type: O negative[/B][/CENTER]
  • Avoid Avoid Avoid At All Costs!!:eek:
    These parasites subjected my Mum to 12 months of grief and intimidation all over a so called FREE pair of stockings.
    They hound and hound you until most people give in-Mum didn't she gave them what for but it really worried her for months.:mad:

Shove anything from this company in the bin where it and they belong.

be careful out there,
    Elmer:cool:
  • V Chic Chick, could you please post on here or PM me with the email address you used to send this email. I too sent off at the end of last year for a free pair of tights, and received 3 more pairs and the free ones today and they want £14.50 for them!

I recieved this message from them, after emailing comments@silkies.co.uk

Dear Mrs *******,

Further to your e-mail to our Customer Services Department, I am writing to confirm that the above account has since been closed.

From our records, I can confirm that we received an order for the introductory offer to our hosiery programme in the form of a returned card following our December 2006 mailshot. The terms of the introductory offer, as stated on the card, are for one free pair of tights, and if you are happy with the tights, we despatch a further four pairs, four weeks later, and from there on every four weeks or less often if you prefer, unless advised otherwise. There is no obligation to buy any tights and you may cancel or return the tights at any time.

The original free pair of tights were despatched on 11th December and as we have no record of any cancellation, a further four pairs were despatched on 8th January 2007.

Details of our introductory offer are contained on the original card mailed to you and on the letter accompanying the first free pair.

To enable you to return the unwanted items to us free of charge, please find below our FREEPOST address:

Silkies Returns Department
    HCI FREEPOST NWW3111
    PO Box 1021
    Liverpool
    L70 8BE

You may of course keep the free pair of trouser socks with our compliments. We apologise for the inconvenience caused.

I regret if there has been any misunderstanding of our offer and trust that I have clarified matters for you.

Yours sincerely,

Miss Nancy Puder

HCI Customer Services
  • Hi
    My Mother had a free pair of tights in the post last week from these people - she had never ordered them or filled out a card for a free pair.
    Today she gets a package with some face cream in it and an invoice for £13.00.

I don’t want the hassle of sorting this out – let alone having to send the stuff back in the post. Is my Mother within her rights just to ignore it?

This is quite obviously a scam as she did not even ask for the stuff in the first place.

Even sending them an email is going to take up my time (and time is money!).

Any one got any ideas what I should do?

Thanks
    ATB
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.....
    Get it out with Optrex.
  • seletar
    seletar Posts: 107 Forumite
    My wife fell for this.
    She paid £8.00 for the 2nd pair that was sent to her and kept quiet about it.
    When the next pair plus bill arrived she realised that this had to be sorted.
    So she told me about it, I contacted Trading Standards who said "Give us
    your details and we will sort it out".I haven`t heard anything since and certainly
    the nylons and bills stopped.
    This happened about four years ago.
  • We had a package delivered from them a few weeks ago and having had this problem before we simply put it back in the post box as return to sender unopened.

Yesterday an invoice arrives in the post for £13.36 and telling us to send a payment today 'to keep our account in good standing'.

Contacted Trading Standards who forwarded our call to Consumer Direct and the lady there said that they are actually committing a criminal offence and they will be reported.

I have actually raised an invoice on them for £20 to cover my time in dealing with this problem (my idea not Consumer Direct) telling them that if they don't pay within 30 days I will take legal action against them. I'm not holding out any hope of being paid but these guys must make a fortune shipping crap to people who don't want it so I will try and reverse the trend! If I get paid I'll let you know!!

There is actually a lawsuit in the USA against this company and a quick google search with 'silkies order not asked for' will show more information.

What a lousy trick, this company deserves to be named and shamed big time.

Ralph
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport