Start an ironing service... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Comments

• Costa_lot
    Costa_lot Posts: 151 Forumite
    Hey - what I great idea, I need some extra cash, so if anybody needs an Ironer in the Kent area, give me a shout!!!!
    Official DFW Nerd Club - member no: 538
    :beer:
  • same goes for anyone in the stafford area!!! I'm a bit of a perfectionist and cleaning freak, so it would be nice to do someone elses house instead of picking up after 3 kids! (that includes OH!) PM me if you're in the area, I need the extra cash too!
    96 items decluttered so far in 2013 :)
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm up for ironing in the North Surrey area, I'm really near Kingston upon Thames & Esher (ohh...posh!:p) and around here people charge £10 for 5 shirts, so £30 for a black bag full in a 48 hour turn around is a bargian IMHO!
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • All we need now is someone to take up our offers!!!
    Official DFW Nerd Club - member no: 538
    :beer:
  • timberflake
    timberflake Posts: 1,623 Forumite
    Costa_lot wrote: »
    All we need now is someone to take up our offers!!!

I've already had a taker, looking to start around Jan/Feb time.....:j
  • :beer: Thats great news!! Isn't it funny how its come about though!!
    96 items decluttered so far in 2013 :)
  • Crazychik
    Crazychik Posts: 1,994 Forumite
    My cousin, left her full time job, did a course at college regarding business studies, and has now set up her own business, domestic cleaning & other care duties. She's been doing this for nearly 4yrs and its going really well for her!

My friend also left her full time admin job, after a payout from her messy divorce, she purchased an industrial sized washing machine. And had all the electrics in her house changed to stand the power needed! And now does laundry from home, offering a delivery & collection service. She purchased a Berlingo size van to start of with, but business has taken off, that she now drives a Transit size.

With a little patience & common sence, these things we do on a normal daily basis, can actually earn us money! Such as childcare etc!!! I remember once, I used to iron for a friend whilst she baby sit my 2 children when I had to work and couldnt find cover for them!

Anyway, I despise housework, but at a push, I will gladly help my cousin out if she's desperate for staff. And same goes with my friend, ref ironing. I love ironing, so that doesn't bother me! if anyone needs the extra help in my area, PM me!

Thanks Penny Pincher for the idea. Glad to see your back with us!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • jessicamb
    jessicamb Posts: 10,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    For people who hire cleaners/ironers:

How do you check the history of the person you are hiring? I guess it would be a position of trust as the cleaner would have a set of keys to your house?
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese :cool:
  • oops_a_daisy
    oops_a_daisy Posts: 2,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    jessicamb wrote: »
    For people who hire cleaners/ironers:

How do you check the history of the person you are hiring? I guess it would be a position of trust as the cleaner would have a set of keys to your house?

the cleaners that I have had in the past have come by personal recomendation or via an agency. I have also taken up references just to make sure. I never had any problems.

I have been thinking of setting up an ironing service in my spare time to make a bit of extra cash but I know there are at least a couple of companies operating in my area and also would not be doing it on a big enough scale to warrant taking out insurance - probably not such a good idea at after all. My Mum has her ironing done by one of the companies so I could always offer my services instead :D

Anyway if anybody wants some ironing done in the Stockton on Tees area Im available ;)
    :cool: Official DFW Nerd Club Member #37 Debt free Feb 07 :cool:
  • I did this about 3 years ago aswell. I just stuck leaflets through peoples doors. I was completely inundated with ironing. It was all to much for me to cope with on my own.

I charged £8 per hour - I think I shot myself in the foot abit cos an hours ironing is hard work.

I gave it up in the end cos I just couldn't bear having someone elses washing hanging round the flat getting in my way.

Great idea though - if you don't mind ironing I would highly recommend doing it!
    Lydia

:T :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family