Is there a cruising thread on here? I've searched believe me!

Comments

• Thomson and Saga are the only companies I know that include tips, although we tipped on top for really good service. I believe that most Cruise lines add so much per person per day, and sometimes you can pre pay. I know some people get the tips taken off as soon as they get on the ship, but personally I wouldn't. There are several threads on Tripadvisor cruise forum on the subject, and people who want to do it get flamed.
  • daveyjp wrote: »
    I wouldn't choose a mini cruise. The staff hate short cruises which affects service, they are often full of party groups and you don't get long enough to get into what cruising is about.

Choose a week's cruise from Southampton. The P&O Atlantic coast trips to France, Spain and Portugal are a good introduction.

Our experience has been different - started off on a 4 nighter to see if we liked the idea and have graduated to a fortnight's cruise twice - and tbh there's been no difference in service.

Also have never noticed that the mini cruise is full of party groups - my heart did sink when on my last mini cruise I saw 2 hen parties checking in but we never heard them & only occasionally saw them in the restaurant.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    melanzana wrote: »
    Thank you all for your insights.

I will think about it again.

OH would like the Norwegian Fjiords trip, so Fred Olsen is looking good for that.

But.... I would like a balcony, and I don't recall seeing that option on Freds. But maybe I missed it.

Anyway nothing ventured, nothing gained I suppose.

It's the tipping thing that kind of worries me. Not that I worry for having to do it, but if I could incorporate it into a package, all the better.

Thanks again.

I've done just one cruise which was exactly that, one week out of Southampton so no flying. Big ship, it was with Princess, a US company, but you didn't really feel how big it was until you got off and looked back. Tips were all wrapped into the price. We had a balcony which was nice meant you didnt feel confined even when you were in your room.

You had choice eac evening, could eat "in style" dressing up (just a lounge suit not penguin), casual self service, or room service and we were on individual tables, so near to other people but not sharing the same table with Mrs Bouquet every night.

I'd probably do it again if the itinerary was right. The nice thing was, apart from day one and seven which were out and back, you were in port doing something every day, either self guided or a tour, then evening meal and then on to next port whilst sleeping so no packing unpacking. So really you'd be unlikely to really hate it, I'd say give it a go.

(if you really want to go small scale, Hurtigruten (sp?) is the one to go for but you need to fly to and from. One big attraction for us was a one hour drive to and from the port, but if i did it again i might go for Hurtigruten ).
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,539 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If you are thinking about the Norwegian fjords then Fred.Olsen would be a top contender since the family are Norwegian!
    Their smaller ships can get up many of the smaller fjords too.

Fred's ships do have balconies but are limited in number. However all the ships have a deck where you can walk round rather than many of the huge ships where the top deck is the only access to the outside world. I suspect the balconies sell fast because people are allowed to smoke there since the inside of the ship is very strictly non-smoking.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggyduvets,26 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=160 £86 spent!!!
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Wow. Thanks again for the information!

I will check out Fred Olsen, that sounds like just what we are looking for, and a balcony would be great.

It has nothing to do with smoking BTW lol, it is just having space outside as we love that wherever we go!

I appreciate the comments. I will look back later. There are so many options!
  • Hi. Just seen your post. I'm travelling with Princess in July from Southampton to Norway. Please can you help me as I have not received much info from my travel agent regarding the service charge added on when you buy a drink. is this automatically added on or can it be removed? I've seen on other forums that a drink can become quite expensive? Would love to hear you thoughts. Thank u
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,510 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    The tip is added automatically and cannot be removed. It is shared between the bar staff and waiters.

Go around the bars and find the cheapest drinks, not all bars sell the same products!
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    cruise critic has been mentioned but tends to get dominated by USA centic chat.
    There is also a uk based general forum.
    https://www.cruise.co.uk/forum
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 March 2017 at 9:16PM
    daveyjp wrote: »
    The tip is added automatically and cannot be removed. It is shared between the bar staff and waiters.

Go around the bars and find the cheapest drinks, not all bars sell the same products!

You can remove it.

Go to the office the night before or on the day of disembarcation and get them to take it off.

No fuss.

ANother tip is to NOT book through UK brokers.

Use the US ones as they are way cheaper

I used WMPH
  • bazzyb
    bazzyb Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    blindman wrote: »
    You can remove it.

Go to the office the night before or on the day of disembarcation and get them to take it off.

No fuss.

The question was regarding service charges on drinks. There is absolutely zero chance of Princess removing these from your bill I'm afraid.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure