PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Built in cooker just gone bang

Hiya,

I live in a private rented house, went to put the oven on for kids tea & it tripped the main switch. Have put it back on but oven not working.

Have phoned letting agent & as usual I am still waiting for them to get back. Knowing what they are like if I am lucky they might phone back tomorrow.

My autistic son is very particular about what he eats (he lives off oven chips waffles everything that goes in the oven) Just wondered if this goes on for a particular time & I need to buy takeout chips or micro meals for the older 2 can I be reimbursed?

Comments

• MyOnlyPost
    MyOnlyPost Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    When the power at home goes off my oven doesn't work until I reset the time, just a thought.
    It may sometimes seem like I can't spell, I can, I just can't type
  • MyOnlyPost wrote: »
    When the power at home goes off my oven doesn't work until I reset the time, just a thought.

The fan still works it's just not heating up
  • MyOnlyPost
    MyOnlyPost Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    I think mine does the same, I have no idea why it won' work until clock is set (doesn't have to be the correct time, just not flashing 12:00)
    It may sometimes seem like I can't spell, I can, I just can't type
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Mine is the exact same also.
  • Lavendyr
    Lavendyr Posts: 2,566
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 13 March 2017 at 6:02PM
    That sounds like the heating element has gone. Easy fix for a local handyman or sparkie. We've had it happen several times in various houses - when it goes it will trip the switch and when you turn the oven back on it won't heat up. Costs about £50-£70 including the part. If you're worried about the letting agent taking ages, suggest you just get someone in to fix it given your son's needs.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 13 March 2017 at 7:02PM
    Reimbursed by who? No one could predict that your oven was going to stop working. The landlord isn't responsible for the diets of your children.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,292
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    MyOnlyPost wrote: »
    I think mine does the same, I have no idea why it won' work until clock is set (doesn't have to be the correct time, just not flashing 12:00)

(Going off topic)

I assume it's a safety feature. If there's a power cut whilst the oven is on, and you forget to turn off the controls - the oven won't just switch back on in the middle of the night when the power is restored.

Instead, it needs manual intervention before it will come on again.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    So there are 2 possibilities:

1) it's a feature (eg safety) of the oven. Do you have the manual? If not, most manuals are available online if you google the make/model. Read up and see if it needs re-setting.

2) the heating element has gone. Follow up your phone call with a letter to the landlord addressed properly (see your tenancy agreement) and copied to the agent.

I would not arrange to have it fixed yourself, especially as you've now alerted the agent to the problem. You could become liable for any future problems.

No - you cannot claim compensation for take-out chips etc. I assume you have a hob and/or microwave, so you are not without cooking facilities. Your children's food preferences are not the LL's responsibilty.

View this as a time to pursuade the kids to eat a healthier diet?
  • You can toast potato waffles if you get desperate. Handy tip I learnt in my student days :)
  • Reckon she wants the money for vodka :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport