Money Moral Dilemma: Should I pay towards landlord's repair bills?

Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
Should I pay towards landlord's repair bills?

I live in a flat with a friend, who also happens to own it. I pay rent, including all bills. If something goes wrong and we need to call a plumber or someone to carry out repairs, should I offer to pay some of the cost? Or is it their responsibility as the landlord?
Click reply to have your say

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• iclayt
    iclayt Posts: 454
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 10 June 2014 at 6:33PM
    I rented a room in a friend's house for a year and as far as we were concerned, with things like repairs, her house, her problem. It's what I paid her rent for. We established this the moment I moved in, which you really should have done. Have a conversation about it and see what he/she thinks. That said, if you break something, like a lamp, I think it's only fair you offer to replace it. If we're talking about a leaking pipe or damp, no, that's what home insurance is for.
  • PlymouthMaid
    PlymouthMaid Posts: 1,550
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you pay 'rent' then no. As above... their house, their investment, their problem.
    "'Cause it's a bittersweet symphony, this life
    Try to make ends meet
    You're a slave to money then you die"
  • al223
    al223 Posts: 32
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Assuming you're paying a fair amount of rent, it's their problem, if they're charging you much less than the going rate, then maybe offer to pay, if you can afford to.
  • mr-tom_2
    mr-tom_2 Posts: 131 Forumite
    Costs of owning and maintaining a house = part and parcel of owning one - the owner pays. You already contribute through your rent payments - don't pay twice.

Fair wear and tear = part and parcel of being a landlord - the owner pays. You already contribute through your rent payments - don't pay twice.

Cost of repairs after putting a fist through a plasterboard wall - not covered - Mr Angry pays that one.
  • pennypinchUK
    pennypinchUK Posts: 383 Forumite
    It all depends on what you've agreed in advance, and if you have a tenancy agreement. But any standard tenancy agreement is almost certainly going to say it's the responsibility of the landlord to pay for on-going maintenance and repairs, other than replacement of consumables, unless the repairs are necessary due to accidental damage or negligence by the tenant.
  • Not much of a dilemma here, I agree with all the previous posters that it's the landlord's responsibility to cover the costs of building maintenance, and yours if you accidentally break something.

Unless you have a share of the equity, which is unlikely with an ordinary landlord-tenant relationship, then all the maintenance costs belong to the landlord. Will you still be around and get a share of the profits if they sell the property? I doubt it.
  • Cookie1986
    Cookie1986 Posts: 20 Forumite
    On the open market a tenant paying rent would not be expected pay their landlord for general repairs this is obviously priced into the rent. That said a casual agreement with a friend may mean that lower rent is charged and a share of other costs are shared. As all relationships are different and we do not know the level of rent you pay or what has previously been agreed with the landlord the only advice I can give is talk to your friend.
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    No, not at all! The point of renting a property is to make a profit so when you rent one of the few benefits is not having to fork out for repairs. Your landlord has to maintain the property by law, I would never give my landlord money for repairs. They should have factored this into the cost of your rent. If they didn't it's tough luck on their part.

Renters have few rights as it is in the UK. If they ask for money tell them it's not your responsibility.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • joehoover
    joehoover Posts: 146
    First Post
    Forumite
    Of course not
  • Angie_B
    Angie_B Posts: 269
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I rent a room to a friend and I would not expect them to pay for things like leaky pipes or new kitchen (both of which I've had in the last year).

However, they recently lost their keys and as a result I had to change the locks and get a new security fob for the block. As far as I'm concerned, they pay for that as it's not wear and tear or general maintenance/repairs.

So, in essense, if you've caused damage through carelessness (or intentionally!) you should pay/contribute. If it's just general repairs then it's your landlords responsibility - that is what you pay rent for.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure